Who do we hire?

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Wish we could get Cremins to coach 2-3 years until we have the $ to go after our guy for the long haul. Bill Stewart got pissed about K State being a craphole. Maybe Bobby C will do the same if asked.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Yoda - is that like a dreamworld wish (similar to my dreamworld where we get Jay Wright) or do you think that's a realistic solution?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Any scenario that brings in an interim coach is very risky. He might get a one-and-done recruit (JB?), but most want to know who will be the coach for more than the coming season. Plus, I have not heard anything that makes me think Cremins wants to coach again. Did I miss something?

Howland is still me #1. Then Prohm or White. Mack may be the most likely??? Fingers crossed.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I'm dreaming, but don't know why it wouldn't work in our situation

Why would he do better now than when he did after coming "back" from usc-e? CBG very, very rarely lost by as big a margins as CBC did in several games after things went south.

It is proper to have him as an ambassador / consultant with the court named after him because he is one of the greatest human beings in sports IMO.

But right now, we need solutions - not dreams

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
@Yoda
CBC is NOT going to become a Head Coach again. Online way that would happen is if we were to GI back in time.
Let him continue to be one of our ambassadors and be happy he still loves GT.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know we've beaten the Hire a Tech Man thing to death, but in this case it may make sense to consider Winston Neal for our assistant slot covering in-state recruiting & guards.

Winston is a GT grad, worked as an assistant under Cliff Warren (one of the assistants under Hewitt who could actually coach) at Jacksonville, and he's in charge of today's Elite Preview featuring HoopSeen's take on the top 80 underclassmen in Georgia across '16, '17, & '18. Here's a couple of quick videos from this morning.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
To me the two situations are very different. I can't remember the specifics but I do remember thinking Sampson was a scumbag. I think Pearl got a bad shake. The strides he has made in making Auburn significant again have been monumental in his first, what? 8 months?

What Bruce Pearl has done at Auburn is one of the reasons I want Ben Howland so bad. I honestly don't care what happened his last season and a half at UCLA. This guy will come in and turn this program around in a hurry and play the big boys tough.

View attachment 835
Couldn't agree more...Howland would turn this program around quickly. Look what he did at Pitt. Dumpster fire and then they make runs in the tournament. Fast forward to UCLA and he gets Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, Farmar, Collision kid and he goes to the final four multiple times. Bottom line is he would flat out recruit the hell out of Georgia and get us Wins period.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
A new coach is going to bring in 3 assistants he can feel the most comfortable and "do battle with". The Director of Operations might be a local hire.

I get the Tech Man and AAU connections desire, however trust becomes a bigger factor at a new place.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A new coach is going to bring in 3 assistants he can feel the most comfortable and "do battle with". The Director of Operations might be a local hire.

I get the Tech Man and AAU connections desire, however trust becomes a bigger factor at a new place.
Fair point, doesn't mean Neal won't network his way in to an opportunity based on actual qualifications. Coaches & ADs network nonstop at the Final Four annually.

ETA: I agree a new coach will bring in his guys, just putting out there an assistant candidate that appears to have solid qualifications that can maybe an earn an oppty to be one of those guys.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
To me the two situations are very different. I can't remember the specifics but I do remember thinking Sampson was a scumbag. I think Pearl got a bad shake. The strides he has made in making Auburn significant again have been monumental in his first, what? 8 months?

What Bruce Pearl has done at Auburn is one of the reasons I want Ben Howland so bad. I honestly don't care what happened his last season and a half at UCLA. This guy will come in and turn this program around in a hurry and play the big boys tough.

View attachment 835

I said on TOS that i kinda think Pearl going down for the bbq was akin to Capone going down for tax evasion. JMHO

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tommy Amaker. Could the perfect fit, is he affordable/an option @Eric ?

AJC's Schultz said in a myAJC article that Amaker was a target before we hired CBG and Amaker wouldn't even take our call. Not sure how accurate that is, but that's what's being reported.

Unfortunately, I think the job may appear less attractive now given the new power basketball programs that have entered the ACC since then.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
AJC's Schultz said in a myAJC article that Amaker was a target before we hired CBG and Amaker wouldn't even take our call. Not sure how accurate that is, but that's what's being reported.

Unfortunately, I think the job may appear less attractive now given the new power basketball programs that have entered the ACC since then.
I think there are different motivations out there. Some want to compete against the best, and some might want to fight the path of least resistance. In the long run, I think I would rather get behind a coach that isn't afraid of the competition.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think there are different motivations out there. Some want to compete against the best, and some might want to fight the path of least resistance. In the long run, I think I would rather get behind a coach that isn't afraid of the competition.

Schultz also said in that article Amaker flirted with Miami that same year (I believe) so it's not like Amaker was looking to avoid the meat grinder of the ACC.

If I'm a good young coach that can recruit, I would have my agent sleeping outside of MBob's office until I get a contract. You are in one of the most fertile basketball states in terms of talent, you're coaching against some of the best coaches in arguably the best bball conference, and your program is on TV almost every game. This isn't the GT of the Cremins and early Hewitt era, but the ceiling for this program is a lot higher than what's been put out on the floor under CBG.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Screw it, if we can get Howland for cheap I say go for it. The short term gains would probably be enough that even if things eventually went sour down the line we would be in a better overall spot hiring the next guy. And who knows, maybe getting fired from his dream job taught him some lessons.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I think Howland would be the right coach for GT right now. The program has gone in 10 years from playing in the Natl Championship game to irrelevant. You need a guy who can instantly get good recruits to come play here. He has turned programs around before.