Who do we hire?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm not campaigning for Price, but it might be a cost effective option given the current scenario. Given that he doesn't have collegiate head coaching experience, we can probably get him pretty cheap. I'm fairly certain that our offensive sets would improve if he became our coach, but I do share some of the concerns of others.

Honestly though, we can't get much worse. If this is what we have to live with, then we don't need to be spending a lot of money on a coach until we get all of these buyouts under control. If that means getting some unknown high school coach or curretn college assistant for very cheap, than so be it. Remember that the athletic department's budget doesn't just handle basketball. If we continue to take on these buyouts you will see it start to affect other (more important) sports.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tech basketball, but Bobinski really needs to sit back and make a good long term decision for the program, not one that will appease the fan base for a year or two while digging us deeper into financial trouble.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What if Mark Price, as an NBA assistant, is making more than BG now?

Then hat's off to the guy. Maybe we can't get him cheap. If we do make a change, we need to go cheap. I know many here want instant success, but honestly, you can't do much worse than we're doing now, and spending a ton of money might not be the answer right now. If we're going to pay 1M for a coach and go 3-15, then we might as well bring in a no name guy and pay him 500K or less. I'd take 300K to run the team and I'm fairly certain that I could go 3-15 in conference play, so I'm sure there's someone more qualified than me that would do the same and maybe get better results.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Then hat's off to the guy. Maybe we can't get him cheap. If we do make a change, we need to go cheap. I know many here want instant success, but honestly, you can't do much worse than we're doing now, and spending a ton of money might not be the answer right now. If we're going to pay 1M for a coach and go 3-15, then we might as well bring in a no name guy and pay him 500K or less. I'd take 300K to run the team and I'm fairly certain that I could go 3-15 in conference play, so I'm sure there's someone more qualified than me that would do the same and maybe get better results.

Just for perspective, Prohm makes about $300K at Murray St. If we can't make an offer that fits and get him then we need to just self-impose the death penalty. We're basically under self-imposed probation right now as it is.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Just for perspective, Prohm makes about $300K at Murray St. If we can't make an offer that fits and get him then we need to just self-impose the death penalty. We're basically under self-imposed probation right now as it is.
Like I've said before, there are several coaches that have won a lot of games at smaller schools that would love a pay raise and a chance to coach in the ACC. Just because we don't have a huge salary to offer doesn't mean we can't land a good coach.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mark Price wouldn't be on our list if he wasn't a grad because why would we think we could land him or he'd be interested.

The pros to Price - he's a GT legend that would win the press conference, he'd run a good offense (we think), he'd bring cache to recruiting as a GT legend (he's been in a kid's shoes and succeeded, kids may not know who he is, but their AAU & HS coaches do), an NBA all-star (knows what it takes to get to the NBA), an NBA assistant coach (knows what it'll take to get to today's NBA & has ties to young stars like Walker, etc.).

The cons to Price - if he doesn't succeed, you're in an awkward situation having to remove a GT legend or his status as a GT legend is tarnished (reputation risk), lack of track record running a team, does he want to deal with what comes along with running a college program (academics, recruiting grind, etc.), once he gets recruits interested, can he close, how much will it cost us (might cost more for him than a Prohm, White, etc. or might need to spend more for proper assistants to support him).

Are there a lot of great reasons to hire Mark Price? Yes.
Will he succeed? There's a pretty good chance.
Is he really interested in the job and doing what it takes? Not sure.
What does the downside look like if he doesn't? Uhhh... could be a disaster.

I'm not going to take one side or the other because that conundrum is above my pay grade. I'll support or whoever is next in the chair though.

For the sake of putting his bio out front, here's his coaching career synopsis, per Wikipedia. Not off base from what people have been saying, but not too bad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Price

Coaching career[edit]
Mark Price began his coaching career during the 1998-99 basketball season as a community coach under head coach and friend Joe Marelle at Duluth High School for the varsity boys team. After Marelle discovered he had non-Hodgkins lymphoma, Price became a primary factor in the team's return trip to the final four of the class 5A GHSA state tournament. It was the first time Duluth High School returned to this point in the state tournament in 16 years. Price then went on to be an assistant coach to Bobby Cremins at Georgia Tech during the 1999-2000 season.[10]
After Cremins retired from coaching at Georgia Tech, Price then went on the following year to be the head coach at Whitefield Academy in Atlanta for the 2000-01 season leading the team to a 27-5 record and the final eight teams of the state Class A tournament, a 20 win improvement over the prior season and 27 win improvement two seasons before Price arrived.[11] NBA player Josh Smith also played at Whitefield Academy the same season Price was coach.[12][13]
In 2003, Price was a consultant for the NBA's Denver Nuggets. He then became an NBA television analyst and color commentator for both the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Atlanta Hawks.
In March 2006, Price was named the inaugural head coach of the Australian NBL's South Dragons, a new franchise for the 2006–07 season, before being fired after the team stumbled to a 0-5 start.[14] The coaching job was later taken over by player Shane Heal, in a controversial decision made by majority owner Mark Cowan. Heal was fired the following year after the Dragons finished last in the NBL for the 2007-08 season.[15]
Price was the shooting consultant for the Memphis Grizzlies for the 2007-08 season and named the shooting coach for the Atlanta Hawks for the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 seasons.[16] Price helped to improve the Hawks offensive output in their first return to the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals in nearly 10 years during the 2009 NBA Playoffs.[17]
Price is credited with helping Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo improve his jump shot. Rondo's scoring was a key factor in the Celtics reaching the 2010 NBA Finals, where they pushed the Los Angeles Lakers to a full seven game series.[18] For the 2010-2011 season, Price joined the Golden State Warriors as an assistant coach with the primary task of improving the Warriors shooting and free throw percentages.[19]
In December 2011, Price was hired as a player development coach for the Orlando Magic.[20] In July 2012, Price served as the head coach of the Orlando Magic's Summer League team.[21]
On July 1, 2013, Price was hired as an assistant coach by the Charlotte Bobcats, joining the staff of head coach Steve Clifford and associate head coach Patrick Ewing for the 2013–14 season.[22]

Thank you for level-setting dtm.. Not a bad resume, but I have to think that more head coaching experience would be necessary. I don't think that this will happen, but I had just assumed Price be given a shot at the head job before we hire another coach in BG's price range. The name alone would energize the fan base, he'd find a way to recruit (assistants), and I think that he knows how teach offense. Specifically shooting the ball. Those last two items are needed desperately around here.

That is not meant to knock BG, but are we really going to find someone to lead us to the promised land in that candidate pool?

IMO, we're not even in the neighborhood of what it will take to land the right guy in $1 million dollar range.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Like I've said before, there are several coaches that have won a lot of games at smaller schools that would love a pay raise and a chance to coach in the ACC. Just because we don't have a huge salary to offer doesn't mean we can't land a good coach.

They're not as plentiful as you may think. I think that you will be hard-pressed to generate more than a few names that fit into the category.

I'd go as far as saying that any of the names prominently mentioned over the last several weeks will all be out of range if we are forced to pay the next coach anything close to BG's current range.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Mark Price wouldn't be on our list if he wasn't a grad because why would we think we could land him or he'd be interested.

The pros to Price - he's a GT legend that would win the press conference, he'd run a good offense (we think), he'd bring cache to recruiting as a GT legend (he's been in a kid's shoes and succeeded, kids may not know who he is, but their AAU & HS coaches do), an NBA all-star (knows what it takes to get to the NBA), an NBA assistant coach (knows what it'll take to get to today's NBA & has ties to young stars like Walker, etc.).

The cons to Price - if he doesn't succeed, you're in an awkward situation having to remove a GT legend or his status as a GT legend is tarnished (reputation risk), lack of track record running a team, does he want to deal with what comes along with running a college program (academics, recruiting grind, etc.), once he gets recruits interested, can he close, how much will it cost us (might cost more for him than a Prohm, White, etc. or might need to spend more for proper assistants to support him).

Are there a lot of great reasons to hire Mark Price? Yes.
Will he succeed? There's a pretty good chance.
Is he really interested in the job and doing what it takes? Not sure.
What does the downside look like if he doesn't? Uhhh... could be a disaster.

I'm not going to take one side or the other because that conundrum is above my pay grade. I'll support or whoever is next in the chair though.

For the sake of putting his bio out front, here's his coaching career synopsis, per Wikipedia. Not off base from what people have been saying, but not too bad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Price

Coaching career[edit]
Mark Price began his coaching career during the 1998-99 basketball season as a community coach under head coach and friend Joe Marelle at Duluth High School for the varsity boys team. After Marelle discovered he had non-Hodgkins lymphoma, Price became a primary factor in the team's return trip to the final four of the class 5A GHSA state tournament. It was the first time Duluth High School returned to this point in the state tournament in 16 years. Price then went on to be an assistant coach to Bobby Cremins at Georgia Tech during the 1999-2000 season.[10]
After Cremins retired from coaching at Georgia Tech, Price then went on the following year to be the head coach at Whitefield Academy in Atlanta for the 2000-01 season leading the team to a 27-5 record and the final eight teams of the state Class A tournament, a 20 win improvement over the prior season and 27 win improvement two seasons before Price arrived.[11] NBA player Josh Smith also played at Whitefield Academy the same season Price was coach.[12][13]
In 2003, Price was a consultant for the NBA's Denver Nuggets. He then became an NBA television analyst and color commentator for both the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Atlanta Hawks.
In March 2006, Price was named the inaugural head coach of the Australian NBL's South Dragons, a new franchise for the 2006–07 season, before being fired after the team stumbled to a 0-5 start.[14] The coaching job was later taken over by player Shane Heal, in a controversial decision made by majority owner Mark Cowan. Heal was fired the following year after the Dragons finished last in the NBL for the 2007-08 season.[15]
Price was the shooting consultant for the Memphis Grizzlies for the 2007-08 season and named the shooting coach for the Atlanta Hawks for the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 seasons.[16] Price helped to improve the Hawks offensive output in their first return to the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals in nearly 10 years during the 2009 NBA Playoffs.[17]
Price is credited with helping Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo improve his jump shot. Rondo's scoring was a key factor in the Celtics reaching the 2010 NBA Finals, where they pushed the Los Angeles Lakers to a full seven game series.[18] For the 2010-2011 season, Price joined the Golden State Warriors as an assistant coach with the primary task of improving the Warriors shooting and free throw percentages.[19]
In December 2011, Price was hired as a player development coach for the Orlando Magic.[20] In July 2012, Price served as the head coach of the Orlando Magic's Summer League team.[21]
On July 1, 2013, Price was hired as an assistant coach by the Charlotte Bobcats, joining the staff of head coach Steve Clifford and associate head coach Patrick Ewing for the 2013–14 season.[22]

dtm, I basically agree with you 100%. There are certainly some things to like about Price. As you lay out well above, he does have some minimal coaching experience. However, as you also lay out, his main assets, and the only reason his name is even in consideration, is because he is a GT legend, and, for that reason may also have an interest in the job. For comparison, his resume is pretty similar to a guy like Shawn Respert: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Respert. I don't see a lot of people calling for Shawn (or the probably two dozen other young NBA assistants with somewhat similar resumes).

I am fine with discussing Price, but I just can't hold a rational discussion where it is not conceded that Price is only in the discussion because he is a GT legend. That said, because he is a GT legend, if he were to be hired, I will still be the absolute first person in line to put my full support behind him. I love the guy and would pull for him incredibly hard to succeed.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
dtm, I basically agree with you 100%. There are certainly some things to like about Price. As you lay out well above, he does have some minimal coaching experience. However, as you also lay out, his main assets, and the only reason his name is even in consideration, is because he is a GT legend, and, for that reason may also have an interest in the job. For comparison, his resume is pretty similar to a guy like Shawn Respert: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Respert. I don't see a lot of people calling for Shawn (or the probably two dozen other young NBA assistants with somewhat similar resumes).

I am fine with discussing Price, but I just can't hold a rational discussion where it is not conceded that Price is only in the discussion because he is a GT legend. That said, because he is a GT legend, if he were to be hired, I will still be the absolute first person in line to put my full support behind him. I love the guy and would pull for him incredibly hard to succeed.

I think you may be confusing the expression "only reason" for the expression "a reason." They don't mean the same thing.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think you may be confusing the expression "only reason" for the expression "a reason." They don't mean the same thing.

Fine. The "main reason" we are even considering him is because he is a Tech legend. And, if he were not a Tech legend, we would not consider him. Better?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

The only reason he's in the discussion is because he's a GT legend. You mentioned Stockton yesterday but he's not truly "in the discussion". Why not? Because he's not a GT legend.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The only reason he's in the discussion is because he's a GT legend. You mentioned Stockton yesterday but he's not truly "in the discussion". Why not? Because he's not a GT legend.

If John Stockton had pursued the job the last time it was open, he'd be in the discussion now. There are a lot of GT legends not being discussed.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If John Stockton had pursued the job the last time it was open, he'd be in the discussion now. There are a lot of GT legends not being discussed.

Eh, I hear you man. It's probably agree to disagree time on the Price discussion. Let's just both hope GT bball ends up in good hands going forward.

Then if we ever have a GTSwarm event you can buy me a beer or three since I'm such a swell guy. :D

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Eh, I hear you man. It's probably agree to disagree time on the Price discussion. Let's just both hope GT bball ends up in good hands going forward.

Then if we ever have a GTSwarm event you can buy me a beer or three since I'm such a swell guy. :D

LOL. Fwiw, if you read my first post in this series again, you'll see that I'm not saying Price is the guy. I just don't like it when guys take potshots at former players by impugning their motives or try to put words or reasons into the mouths of others.