Who do we hire?

slugboy

Staff member
AJC's Schultz said in a myAJC article that Amaker was a target before we hired CBG and Amaker wouldn't even take our call. Not sure how accurate that is, but that's what's being reported.

Unfortunately, I think the job may appear less attractive now given the new power basketball programs that have entered the ACC since then.
Well, we did fire a coach who "brought us" to the NCAA championship. If you were going to follow Hewitt, wouldn't you think the expectations might be unrealistic? (And, yes, I thought he needed to go then and now)
[Quotes around "brought us" are because I don't want to get into the importance of his assistant coaches. I also don't want to start a conversation about Hewitt's coaching--I only bring it up because, when you have a guy who looks like a coach for life and you fire him, some people won't want that job. Through most of the Chan Gailey period, the only two coaches in the stadium people liked were Hewitt (watching the game) and Tenuta]

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Howland, White, Noodles, Price...Darth Vader. I don't care who it is...just get us back to the tournament 2 out of every 3 years and I'll stop forgetting that GT has a basketball game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, we did fire a coach who "brought us" to the NCAA championship. If you were going to follow Hewitt, wouldn't you think the expectations might be unrealistic? (And, yes, I thought he needed to go then and now)
[Quotes around "brought us" are because I don't want to get into the importance of his assistant coaches. I also don't want to start a conversation about Hewitt's coaching--I only bring it up because, when you have a guy who looks like a coach for life and you fire him, some people won't want that job. Through most of the Chan Gailey period, the only two coaches in the stadium people liked were Hewitt (watching the game) and Tenuta]

It's not like we fired Hewitt after he went to the NCAA CG...anyone with two pairs of eyes knew Hewitt probably stayed a few seasons too long at GT when the axe fell. If not for the most ridiculous coaching contract in college sports history, Hewitt would have been gone a lot sooner.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's not like we fired Hewitt after he went to the NCAA CG...anyone with two pairs of eyes knew Hewitt probably stayed a few seasons too long at GT when the axe fell. If not for the most ridiculous coaching contract in college sports history, Hewitt would have been gone a lot sooner.

A lot sooner? Not likely. When do you think he'd have been let go? After the 07-08 year when we were coming off 5 years with 3 NCAAT appearances and came on strong towards the end of conference play. 09-10 We played in the ACC CG and won a game in the NCAAT. The earliest we were likely to get rid of Hewitt was the 08-09 year and a huge recruiting class was as big a reason we didn't as the buy out. And even if Hewitt didn't have the perpetual roll over contract, he would still have had a huge contract with plenty of reasons for GT to not fire him. That's the nature of the game when you get a guy who takes you to the NCAA CG. Lastly, in case you've forgotten, GT's administration doesn't typically have a quick trigger finger when it comes to these things. The only reason gregory isn't going to be given more than 4 years is because he's yet to have a single season even close to respectability.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A lot sooner? Not likely. When do you think he'd have been let go? After the 07-08 year when we were coming off 5 years with 3 NCAAT appearances and came on strong towards the end of conference play. 09-10 We played in the ACC CG and won a game in the NCAAT. The earliest we were likely to get rid of Hewitt was the 08-09 year and a huge recruiting class was as big a reason we didn't as the buy out. And even if Hewitt didn't have the perpetual roll over contract, he would still have had a huge contract with plenty of reasons for GT to not fire him. That's the nature of the game when you get a guy who takes you to the NCAA CG. Lastly, in case you've forgotten, GT's administration doesn't typically have a quick trigger finger when it comes to these things. The only reason gregory isn't going to be given more than 4 years is because he's yet to have a single season even close to respectability.

I think you're just looking at the record (though admittedly, I'd freaking take it right now compared to what we got with CBG). If you haven't read in the multiple threads, CPH had a mess of a program and more people were in the Varsity during game than were at the Thriller Dome. There was much more going on with Hewitt than just W-L's.

If you don't think we were hamstrung by his contract, then you must not have been a GT fan during that time.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Howland, White, Noodles, Price...Darth Vader. I don't care who it is...just get us back to the tournament 2 out of every 3 years and I'll stop forgetting that GT has a basketball game.

I'm greedier, but don't want to be too greedy, so make it 19 out of 20 years with Sweet 16 runs 3 out of 4 years and FF runs at least every 4th year!

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I'd be happy with us making the tourney 3 out of every 5 years. As long as we show competitiveness in the ACC and win a couple tourney games once we get there.. I'd be more than content with that. It just sucks getting to March Madness each year knowing our team won't be competing. I don't ever remember having as much fun as I did in 2004. I know that was an incredible run that doesn't happen very often... but just having the opportunity every so often would be a HUGE leap from where we've been since then.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I'd be happy with us making the tourney 3 out of every 5 years. As long as we show competitiveness in the ACC and win a couple tourney games once we get there.. I'd be more than content with that. It just sucks getting to March Madness each year knowing our team won't be competing. I don't ever remember having as much fun as I did in 2004. I know that was an incredible run that doesn't happen very often... but just having the opportunity every so often would be a HUGE leap from where we've been since then.
Yes, I'm so glad I went to St. Louis that year to cheer us on in the sweet 16. I can still remember looking at my fiancée on the Monday night the week of the game and said what do you think, should we go? And she said we may never get the chance again, so I jumped on Hotwire and made our reservations. Little did we know she would die of Leukemia two years later. Thanks Kristen for pushing me to go. It was a trip of a lifetime!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Call Shaka Smart long shot but see what he says. I would call Ron Hunter too he is doing a great job at GA State.
We can't offer Shaka anything competitive and his program is better than ours as of this very moment in time.