Tier 3

BC
FSU
Miami
Clemson
Virginia Tech

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I bet it'll be Craig Neal. He's got some experience and he's done well with it. The fans will be enthusiastic. Nobody who's as up tempo as he is should have trouble with recruiting. And …

Unlike many others, he'd take the offer.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I bet it'll be Craig Neal. He's got some experience and he's done well with it. The fans will be enthusiastic. Nobody who's as up tempo as he is should have trouble with recruiting. And …

Unlike many others, he'd take the offer.

If the financial situation is as some are reporting, and we do actually fire CBG (at this point i am about 60-40, for) this makes sense.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Eff it. I'd take Sharman White at this point, if that's what it takes.

ETA: Mostly kidding kinda maybe not that much.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If the financial situation is as some are reporting, and we do actually fire CBG (at this point i am about 60-40, for) this makes sense.

I don't see any options that would be more viable than this actually..

Maybe he can bring Mark Price with him as his top assistant/co-head coach (y)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't see any options that would be more viable than this actually..

Maybe he can bring Mark Price with him as his top assistant/co-head coach (y)

You're courting disaster. First one-game losing streak the Price Club would be clamoring for a seat change.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
Price will get a shot somewhere. I hope it is here. He is putting in his time as an assistant. He can recruit simply because people come to him now to improve their game... Big draw to high school kids to get coached by the guy pros pay to teach them to shoot!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Price will get a shot somewhere. I hope it is here. He is putting in his time as an assistant. He can recruit simply because people come to him now to improve their game... Big draw to high school kids to get coached by the guy pros pay to teach them to shoot!

Nba players, not HS kids. Whole different ball game

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
Peacone,
On many occasions, I recall reading that he has been retained by clubs and nba players for shooting help. Am I mistaken? Is entirely possible

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Price has been an NBA assistant for like a year or so. So I wouldn't say he's necessarily putting in his time. He's certainly been a shooting consultant for a long time. I disagree with you that he can recruit simply based on his days as a consultant. I'd say that's just a different deal than building a program. For every kid he'd get based on the shooting consultant work, places that truly recruit will pick up 2 or 3 better players based on the work they put in on the trail. Freaking Damon Jones is a shooting consultant too. Nobody's looking to hire him.

We've got to stop looking at that process logically. Kids look in the stands and never see him there watching them. Meanwhile some jabroni like Roy Williams is at multiple events showing "how much he wants him" and saying, "if Price wants you at Tech then where is he?". Kids eat that crap up.

Also, if Price wanted a shot somewhere he would've had it by now. Prior to his current post he appeared to just want to be gifted HC jobs based on his name and where he's played (Cavs and GT). I'm sure he's a great guy and he clearly has many loyal fans within the Jackets fanbase but the reality is there are many more guys who've actually put in time who are more qualified and more likely to succeed.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Price has been an NBA assistant for like a year or so. So I wouldn't say he's necessarily putting in his time. He's certainly been a shooting consultant for a long time. I disagree with you that he can recruit simply based on his days as a consultant. I'd say that's just a different deal than building a program. For every kid he'd get based on the shooting consultant work, places that truly recruit will pick up 2 or 3 better players based on the work they put in on the trail. Freaking Damon Jones is a shooting consultant too. Nobody's looking to hire him.

We've got to stop looking at that process logically. Kids look in the stands and never see him there watching them. Meanwhile some jabroni like Roy Williams is at multiple events showing "how much he wants him" and saying, "if Price wants you at Tech then where is he?". Kids eat that crap up.

Also, if Price wanted a shot somewhere he would've had it by now. Prior to his current post he appeared to just want to be gifted HC jobs based on his name and where he's played (Cavs and GT). I'm sure he's a great guy and he clearly has many loyal fans within the Jackets fanbase but the reality is there are many more guys who've actually put in time who are more qualified and more likely to succeed.

Listen, I get your feeling. And you're not alone. But, the hyperbole has to stop. There's no reason to say that Price just wants to "be gifted HC jobs based on his name and where he's played." He obviously thinks he's qualified based on his knowledge of the game and his ability to coach/teach the game. In other words, I agree that he hasn't done what I'd like to see in terms of paying his dues in the college game to make me the most comfortable as a fan looking from the outside, but that's not the same thing as saying that he doesn't bring more to the table than being a player. He has sat on the sideline at Tech, and he's coached in various capacities in the NBA. He's the son of a great HS coach. He has a case that he can make for being considered for the job.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Listen, I get your feeling. And you're not alone. But, the hyperbole has to stop. There's no reason to say that Price just wants to "be gifted HC jobs based on his name and where he's played." He obviously thinks he's qualified based on his knowledge of the game and his ability to coach/teach the game. In other words, I agree that he hasn't done what I'd like to see in terms of paying his dues in the college game to make me the most comfortable as a fan looking from the outside, but that's not the same thing as saying that he doesn't bring more to the table than being a player. He has sat on the sideline at Tech, and he's coached in various capacities in the NBA. He's the son of a great HS coach. He has a case that he can make for being considered for the job.
Let's say Price had played at Alabama and not GT. Would you still feel the same about him being a possible HC candidate? My guess is no...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If Doc Rivers had wanted to coach at Tech instead of the Magic as his first HC job. I'd have been open to him too. Of course, getting an HC job in the NBA three years after playing will never work out for him. Smdh.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

But I don't think it's hyperbole to suggest he just wants to be gifted the job. Places like GASouthern, UT-Chattanooga or any number of "lesser" places would love to have him learn on the job. But in all these years the only jobs he goes after are the Cavs and GT. I don't think that's a coincidence.

I'm sure he does think he's qualified. Nothing wrong with that. I agree he brings more to the table than just being a former player. I just don't think he brings so much more that we should remotely consider him over other guys that have been mentioned.

Damon Stoudamire, Isaiah Thomas , Rod Strickland and plenty of former players (PG's no less) all have better coaching resumes than him and have put in years more time but I bet no one would even consider those guys.