Who do we hire?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Guys (we are all guys, I think), this thread has morphed from why would we not just steal Marshall or Short, to we may have to settle for Price. Get real. Bobinski is no fool. He will not do something stupid.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Isaiah Thomas' coaching history is about 5th on the list of reasons not to hire him as a coach.

** Disclaimer: No, I do not want Thomas as our coach **

That said, he brings a lot more to the table than Price. His name would ring bells in recruiting circles far more than people think Price's would. Strickland and Stoudamire have put in the work and have recent history on the recruiting trail so why aren't people clamoring for them?

My overall problem with Price is that, if he hadn't played here, the concept of hiring him would be laughable.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Was at GT when Mark was there. Heck even my Dad went to high school with Denny. With that said, I personally don't see Mark having shown that he'd be able to step in and recruit.

IF (capitalized on purpose this time, not typing error) he were to be hired, would I support him? Heck yes!

Just have to trust MBob to make the right decision for GT based off of the reality that GT is in at this time regarding Wins and $'s available. Not an "easy" set of variables that he has to work with.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate to dive into the Mark Price talk because I don't think there is any chance of it happening, but I tend to agree that he hasn't demonstrated that he has the desire to work as hard as great coaches work- being a shooting consultant is way different than being an asst. coach who travels a lot, watches hours of tape on opponents and recruits, it's a hard life and would seem difficult to just change into that gear if you aren't used to it. Maybe he could, but who knows? Could you statrt working a new job tomorrow that requires twice the hours you work now? Maybe for your dream job, but what if you didn't really need they money?

If you like Price would you like Patrick Ewing? Not that he wants a college job, but here is a player as decorated as Price who really wants a chance to be HC and has proven it as an assistant for years, doing all the little things and putting in the hours.

If you like Price what about Jon Barry? He is well known and demonstrates his knowledge every night, and he puts in time watching tape and has a tough travel schedule- he might be the next Steve Kerr and he has a resume with NBA titles. Just a thought.

I just hope this buyout doesn't keep status quo.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, if it came down to the option of settling for Price or keeping Gregory for a couple more years until we can afford a better coach, I would opt to keep Gregory. I don't think the odds of either being successful are very good, but at least we would finally be in a good financial position to move forward if we retain Gregory.

As others have said, if Price was a UConn grad, he wouldn't be in the top 150 on anybody's list.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, if it came down to the option of settling for Price or keeping Gregory for a couple more years until we can afford a better coach, I would opt to keep Gregory. I don't think the odds of either being successful are very good, but at least we would finally be in a good financial position to move forward if we retain Gregory.

As others have said, if Price was a UConn grad, he wouldn't be in the top 150 on anybody's list.

1) I appreciate the honesty of someone willing to say they prefer a deteriorating program with 3 conference wins to a guy whom NBA pros are paying for coaching.

2) I appreciate the integrity of someone willing to say that if he were a UConn grad he wouldn't be on anybody's list when I just mentioned a Gonzaga grad and a Marquette grad. Not many people would flatly ignore evidence from the same thread. Or, are you calling me a liar?

3) You mention financial situation without any posted data on what Mark would ask for pay. So why is that relevant?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
1) I appreciate the honesty of someone willing to say they prefer a deteriorating program with 3 conference wins to a guy whom NBA pros are paying for coaching.

Whoa! Easy there tiger. Believe it or not, my post was not personal about you. I think this first statement is intended as sarcasm, but I am not sure? Listen, first and foremost, I want CBG to be let go. I have made that abundantly clear. That said, to have a rational discussion, it is unfair to just paint him as a guy coaching a "deteriorating program with 3 conference wins." He is that, but he is also a guy with 12 years head coaching experience, almost a 60% career winning percentage, a couple trips to the NCAA tourney, an NIT championship, and a guy I think would have taken us to the post season last year if not for injuries. He has also admittedly represented the program well and gotten the academics turned around. While Price is a guy "NBA pros are paying for coaching," he has only been an assistant for part of one season, and his only real head coaching experience seems to be HS and coaching an Australian team for 5 games before being let go. His main experience is as a shooting coach, which, no offense, does not do anything to convince me he is ready to be head recruiter and head coach of a major ACC program.

2) I appreciate the integrity of someone willing to say that if he were a UConn grad he wouldn't be on anybody's list when I just mentioned a Gonzaga grad and a Marquette grad. Not many people would flatly ignore evidence from the same thread. Or, are you calling me a liar?

Integrity!? Calling you a liar? Again, geez, calm down. I am not ignoring your posts, I just wasn't responding directly to you. I don't care what other random school anyone picks. The point remains the same. If he wasn't a Tech grad, nobody would have him on their list. If it makes you feel better, from now on I will say "nobody but AE87 would have him on their list." Does that make you feel better?

3) You mention financial situation without any posted data on what Mark would ask for pay. So why is that relevant?

Would he ask to get paid more than $1? If so, that would put us in a worse financial situation assuming we find ourselves in a position where we need to make a change in another two years. I also can't fathom he would agree to a one or two year contract. Thus, to me, I see taking a chance on him as likely only making us worse off financially and delaying the time until we can make a strong new hire to get the ship turned around.

I like Price as a person a lot. I am just saying I see no evidence that he has the experience to be a successful coach here, and that I would rather keep Gregory and work through our financial issues if given ONLY the choice of Gregory or Price. Luckily that is not our only choice, and I am hoping we get a new guy like Prohm or White. Again, nothing in my opinion had anything to do with you personally. At all. Even a little bit.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mark Price wouldn't be on our list if he wasn't a grad because why would we think we could land him or he'd be interested.

The pros to Price - he's a GT legend that would win the press conference, he'd run a good offense (we think), he'd bring cache to recruiting as a GT legend (he's been in a kid's shoes and succeeded, kids may not know who he is, but their AAU & HS coaches do), an NBA all-star (knows what it takes to get to the NBA), an NBA assistant coach (knows what it'll take to get to today's NBA & has ties to young stars like Walker, etc.).

The cons to Price - if he doesn't succeed, you're in an awkward situation having to remove a GT legend or his status as a GT legend is tarnished (reputation risk), lack of track record running a team, does he want to deal with what comes along with running a college program (academics, recruiting grind, etc.), once he gets recruits interested, can he close, how much will it cost us (might cost more for him than a Prohm, White, etc. or might need to spend more for proper assistants to support him).

Are there a lot of great reasons to hire Mark Price? Yes.
Will he succeed? There's a pretty good chance.
Is he really interested in the job and doing what it takes? Not sure.
What does the downside look like if he doesn't? Uhhh... could be a disaster.

I'm not going to take one side or the other because that conundrum is above my pay grade. I'll support or whoever is next in the chair though.

For the sake of putting his bio out front, here's his coaching career synopsis, per Wikipedia. Not off base from what people have been saying, but not too bad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Price

Coaching career[edit]
Mark Price began his coaching career during the 1998-99 basketball season as a community coach under head coach and friend Joe Marelle at Duluth High School for the varsity boys team. After Marelle discovered he had non-Hodgkins lymphoma, Price became a primary factor in the team's return trip to the final four of the class 5A GHSA state tournament. It was the first time Duluth High School returned to this point in the state tournament in 16 years. Price then went on to be an assistant coach to Bobby Cremins at Georgia Tech during the 1999-2000 season.[10]
After Cremins retired from coaching at Georgia Tech, Price then went on the following year to be the head coach at Whitefield Academy in Atlanta for the 2000-01 season leading the team to a 27-5 record and the final eight teams of the state Class A tournament, a 20 win improvement over the prior season and 27 win improvement two seasons before Price arrived.[11] NBA player Josh Smith also played at Whitefield Academy the same season Price was coach.[12][13]
In 2003, Price was a consultant for the NBA's Denver Nuggets. He then became an NBA television analyst and color commentator for both the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Atlanta Hawks.
In March 2006, Price was named the inaugural head coach of the Australian NBL's South Dragons, a new franchise for the 2006–07 season, before being fired after the team stumbled to a 0-5 start.[14] The coaching job was later taken over by player Shane Heal, in a controversial decision made by majority owner Mark Cowan. Heal was fired the following year after the Dragons finished last in the NBL for the 2007-08 season.[15]
Price was the shooting consultant for the Memphis Grizzlies for the 2007-08 season and named the shooting coach for the Atlanta Hawks for the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 seasons.[16] Price helped to improve the Hawks offensive output in their first return to the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals in nearly 10 years during the 2009 NBA Playoffs.[17]
Price is credited with helping Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo improve his jump shot. Rondo's scoring was a key factor in the Celtics reaching the 2010 NBA Finals, where they pushed the Los Angeles Lakers to a full seven game series.[18] For the 2010-2011 season, Price joined the Golden State Warriors as an assistant coach with the primary task of improving the Warriors shooting and free throw percentages.[19]
In December 2011, Price was hired as a player development coach for the Orlando Magic.[20] In July 2012, Price served as the head coach of the Orlando Magic's Summer League team.[21]
On July 1, 2013, Price was hired as an assistant coach by the Charlotte Bobcats, joining the staff of head coach Steve Clifford and associate head coach Patrick Ewing for the 2013–14 season.[22]

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Mark Price wouldn't be on our list if he wasn't a grad because why would we think we could land him or he'd be interested.

The pros to Price - he's a GT legend that would win the press conference, he'd run a good offense (we think), he'd bring cache to recruiting as a GT legend (he's been in a kid's shoes and succeeded, kids may not know who he is, but their AAU & HS coaches do), an NBA all-star (knows what it takes to get to the NBA), an NBA assistant coach (knows what it'll take to get to today's NBA & has ties to young stars like Walker, etc.).

The cons to Price - if he doesn't succeed, you're in an awkward situation having to remove a GT legend or his status as a GT legend is tarnished (reputation risk), lack of track record running a team, does he want to deal with what comes along with running a college program (academics, recruiting grind, etc.), once he gets recruits interested, can he close, how much will it cost us (might cost more for him than a Prohm, White, etc. or might need to spend more for proper assistants to support him).

Are there a lot of great reasons to hire Mark Price? Yes.
Will he succeed? There's a pretty good chance.
Is he really interested in the job and doing what it takes? Not sure.
What does the downside look like if he doesn't? Uhhh... could be a disaster.

I'm not going to take one side or the other because that conundrum is above my pay grade. I'll support or whoever is next in the chair though.

For the sake of putting his bio out front, here's his coaching career synopsis, per Wikipedia. Not off base from what people have been saying, but not too bad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Price

Coaching career[edit]
Mark Price began his coaching career during the 1998-99 basketball season as a community coach under head coach and friend Joe Marelle at Duluth High School for the varsity boys team. After Marelle discovered he had non-Hodgkins lymphoma, Price became a primary factor in the team's return trip to the final four of the class 5A GHSA state tournament. It was the first time Duluth High School returned to this point in the state tournament in 16 years. Price then went on to be an assistant coach to Bobby Cremins at Georgia Tech during the 1999-2000 season.[10]
After Cremins retired from coaching at Georgia Tech, Price then went on the following year to be the head coach at Whitefield Academy in Atlanta for the 2000-01 season leading the team to a 27-5 record and the final eight teams of the state Class A tournament, a 20 win improvement over the prior season and 27 win improvement two seasons before Price arrived.[11] NBA player Josh Smith also played at Whitefield Academy the same season Price was coach.[12][13]
In 2003, Price was a consultant for the NBA's Denver Nuggets. He then became an NBA television analyst and color commentator for both the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Atlanta Hawks.
In March 2006, Price was named the inaugural head coach of the Australian NBL's South Dragons, a new franchise for the 2006–07 season, before being fired after the team stumbled to a 0-5 start.[14] The coaching job was later taken over by player Shane Heal, in a controversial decision made by majority owner Mark Cowan. Heal was fired the following year after the Dragons finished last in the NBL for the 2007-08 season.[15]
Price was the shooting consultant for the Memphis Grizzlies for the 2007-08 season and named the shooting coach for the Atlanta Hawks for the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 seasons.[16] Price helped to improve the Hawks offensive output in their first return to the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals in nearly 10 years during the 2009 NBA Playoffs.[17]
Price is credited with helping Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo improve his jump shot. Rondo's scoring was a key factor in the Celtics reaching the 2010 NBA Finals, where they pushed the Los Angeles Lakers to a full seven game series.[18] For the 2010-2011 season, Price joined the Golden State Warriors as an assistant coach with the primary task of improving the Warriors shooting and free throw percentages.[19]
In December 2011, Price was hired as a player development coach for the Orlando Magic.[20] In July 2012, Price served as the head coach of the Orlando Magic's Summer League team.[21]
On July 1, 2013, Price was hired as an assistant coach by the Charlotte Bobcats, joining the staff of head coach Steve Clifford and associate head coach Patrick Ewing for the 2013–14 season.[22]
Mark Price is one of my all time favorite Tech players. I loved that guy in a Tech uniform because it was the first time in many years I actually looked forward to each Tech basketball game. But, and this is huge, there is much more to coaching college basketball than being a great shooter (or teacher of shooting technique). Recruiting, dealing with administration, dealing with parents, handling media matters, organizing practices, monitoring players off-court activities and classroom progress, and many other everyday priorities that I do not see on his resume. Or any place where they might be hidden. Those are all things CBG does quite well. Except for recruiting. Gads. That was first on my list. Ugh. Tis puzzlement....