Who do we hire?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I use to make fun of how painful it was to watch Wisconsin play.

Then the CBG era occurred. My pain threshold has increased so much that Wisconsin looks pretty darn good with all those wins every year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What do assistants at GT make? Bilas was just talking about Bobby Lutz (Associate HC at NCST), do we offer salaries to have guys like that as Non-HC's?

I know everyone except me hates his guts on TV but I would love to have a guy like Dan Dakich or Greenberg, Ben Braun on the bench. I highly doubt we pay enough but I like the idea of it.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Thanks. How many other team message boards do you frequent? Which ones?

I visit almost every ACC board weekly...all the 247, Scout and free forums.

Visit USCe site often (cockytalk), uga sites (247), LSU, UF, UK, Tennessee (Volnation), Auburn, Ohio State (tons of good sites), etc.

Especially when I was at the Rivals and 247 network.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think Michigan football and UNC basketball has the same problem.

Yeah and I understand that...but we do it for both GT football and basketball. I've just never seen another fan base do it for every job in the two programs.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I mean, in theory, that's what Herrion is for.

HC's definitely hire mentor types, like when Lavin had Gene Keady as a special consultant when he arrived at St. John's.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Kenny Anderson on the BuzzTalk podcast publicly campaigning to be a part of the program. While this is nothing new, he did get granular that he'd be willing to take on any role in order to help the program, including a player development role, etc.

I don't want to endorse the idea right now, but it's good to hear that he's willing to be in any role to help his school.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/surviv...talk-radio-home-of-the-true-yellow-jacket-fan

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure I understand the knock on Gottfried or NCState. They've won 20+ games his first 3 seasons (standing at 19 for this year) and have made the NCAA tourney his first 3 years. Wear do I sign for this???

I'm not knocking gottfried (read my prior posts), but I'll respectfully disagree on the NC state job. I still haven't heard anything other than Raleigh is a nice place to live. Sure it's "nice," but so are Atlanta, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Charlottesville... And if you give quality of life to NC state you got to give it to the two other schools in the area that have literally everything else going for them over ncsu.

hockey arena + 3rd rate in the area + ncsu is a dump = not a good job

Just to circle back, my point (that many others have misconstrued) is that the ncsu job is not a great one. I don't even think it's a good one. I'd much rather coach at gt, UVA, cuse, Pitt, nd, etc. in my mind it's just out of the bottom tier of acc jobs at climpson, vt, fsu, and miami. I'd probably put it on par with wake, a bit behind us. Ncsu fans are more delusional than we are

And again to be clear, so what I'm saying doesn't kept getting mischaracterized, dtm said both that all we have to offer is money, and that someone rejecting a coaching job at ncsu would 100% reject us. I disagree with both those points, for the reasons stated

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not knocking gottfried (read my prior posts), but I'll respectfully disagree on the NC state job. I still haven't heard anything other than Raleigh is a nice place to live. Sure it's "nice," but so are Atlanta, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Charlottesville... And if you give quality of life to NC state you got to give it to the two other schools in the area that have literally everything else going for them over ncsu.

hockey arena + 3rd rate in the area + ncsu is a dump = not a good job

Just to circle back, my point (that many others have misconstrued) is that the ncsu job is not a great one. I don't even think it's a good one. I'd much rather coach at gt, UVA, cuse, Pitt, nd, etc. in my mind it's just out of the bottom tier of acc jobs at climpson, vt, fsu, and miami. I'd probably put it on par with wake, a bit behind us. Ncsu fans are more delusional than we are

And again to be clear, so what I'm saying doesn't kept getting mischaracterized, dtm said both that all we have to offer is money, and that someone rejecting a coaching job at ncsu would 100% reject us. I disagree with both those points, for the reasons stated

Getting paid $2MM or more + Landing pretty good recruits + being able to pay a really good assistant coach + making the NCAA 3 times in 3 years - delusional fans with corny hand signal = pretty decent job.

Also, PLEASE show me where I have said that all GT has to offer money and that we'd 100% get rejected by someone rejecting the NC State job. I'd love to see where I said I had 100% certainty someone would reject us if they rejected the NC State job

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Having never been to the actual facilities please excuse my ignorance but, Miami and FSU are bad jobs? Considering geography alone I would consider them top end jobs.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Having never been to the actual facilities please excuse my ignorance but, Miami and FSU are bad jobs? Considering geography alone I would consider them top end jobs.

Nah, Miami is well-known for having poor facilities and an apathetic fanbase.

FSU isn't a bad job per se but they're kinda like Bama in terms of bball. Clear second-fiddle. If you're a bigtime recruit would you want to go to a place where the backup left tackle is more 'famous' than the starting PG?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Nah, Miami is well-known for having poor facilities and an apathetic fanbase.

FSU isn't a bad job per se but they're kinda like Bama in terms of bball. Clear second-fiddle. If you're a bigtime recruit would you want to go to a place where the backup left tackle is more 'famous' than the starting PG?

I guess I would have to ask Dwayne Bacon and Malik Beasley what they think.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Getting paid $2MM or more + Landing pretty good recruits + being able to pay a really good assistant coach + making the NCAA 3 times in 3 years - delusional fans with corny hand signal = pretty decent job.

Also, PLEASE show me where I have said that all GT has to offer money and that we'd 100% get rejected by someone rejecting the NC State job. I'd love to see where I said I had 100% certainty someone would reject us if they rejected the NC State job
dtm, I think his comment is more appropriately aimed at me. I am the person who defended the NC State job and also the one who said I did not think Marshall would be considering the job at GT. Not saying Gottfried is a better coach than Marshall, but he has won 92 games in his four years at NC State and been to the NCAAT each year. @Legal Jacket, the PNC Arena is a partnership between NC State and the Centennial Authority, which manages the arena for lots of events. It was NC State's home arena before the Hurricanes came to Raleigh. It was built to replace Reynolds Coliseum. It is anything but a dump. The complex in that area that contains the fairgrounds, Carter-Finley Stadium and the NC Museum of art, as well as the PNC Arena. It's a ten minute shuttle bus ride from the campus.

I feel very uncomfortable defending NC State, as I have no connection to them other than living in NC. But State is a good school and they have a nice basketball program. While we have been languishing in the lower half of the ACC, they have going to the dance. Let's be carefully belittling other programs while we are facing huge problems with our own.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
It makes sense that GT, UNC, and Michigan all want their fellow alums to lead their sports programs. You hear and more importantly feel the vibes of being a "Tech man", a "Michigan man", or a part of the "Carolina Way" a lot more than most schools. No coincidence seeing as these three schools have traditionally had more successful academics and athletics than other public schools.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Sorry that was oriental; my bad.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
dtm, I think his comment is more appropriately aimed at me. I am the person who defended the NC State job and also the one who said I did not think Marshall would be considering the job at GT. Not saying Gottfried is a better coach than Marshall, but he has won 92 games in his four years at NC State and been to the NCAAT each year. @Legal Jacket, the PNC Arena is a partnership between NC State and the Centennial Authority, which manages the arena for lots of events. It was NC State's home arena before the Hurricanes came to Raleigh. It was built to replace Reynolds Coliseum. It is anything but a dump. The complex in that area that contains the fairgrounds, Carter-Finley Stadium and the NC Museum of art, as well as the PNC Arena. It's a ten minute shuttle bus ride from the campus.

I feel very uncomfortable defending NC State, as I have no connection to them other than living in NC. But State is a good school and they have a nice basketball program. While we have been languishing in the lower half of the ACC, they have going to the dance. Let's be carefully belittling other programs while we are facing huge problems with our own.

I'm not belittling the program, I just don't think its in the upper half of the ACC. And the stadium is absolutely a POS. Maybe dump is a strong word, but its a horrible place to see a game. It's the most cookie cutter, unmemorable stadium I've ever been to. It's just old enough to not be new, and just new enough to not be historic. It is probably the worst in the ACC in terms of feeling close to the action, with the possible exception of the dean dome (which is in contrast to PNC at least has some historic appeal to it). In terms of venues, there are few places in the ACC where I'd be less inclined to see a game. The home court advantage (and I've been there to see State play just about every ACC team there was at the time I was there) is practically nonexistent. They built it way too big, and the environment really lacks because of it.

My only point, all along, is that a coach could easily choose us over NC State, and that a coach easily could reject NC State, but choose to go to GT. I'm not saying that every coach would, no matter what, but NC State is NOT a great job. They made the NCAA tourney once in the 90s. They made it 5 times the following decade, and they've now made it three times since 2006. They've been in the sweet 16 twice since 1989, and haven't made it past that point since 1986.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Let me be clear - not bad jobs per se, but bad jobs compared to the rest of the ACC. I don't even necessarily think we are in the top half, probably more like the middle. Just a rough guess (not putting a lot of thought into it) I'd go:

Tier 1

Duke
UNC
Louisville
Uva
Syracuse

Tier 2

Pitt
Notre Dame
us
NCSU
Wake