Wesley Wells

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The ATL thing could get murky if it's based off effort and not talent. I could go out there and out effort the whole team. But does my full effort equal half of theirs due to the talent gap? Hell no

Maybe that is whole purpose for the ATL...to muddy the waters a bit and give fans something to argue about other than uniforms and such.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
King missed the thing about 40 yards wide right. I just don't understand this particular situation. Kickers are not like any other position on the team. It is such a mental position. If they had 10 jobs like some other positions where they could be judged and compete against each other in those 10 areas I would understand, but we just need kicks to be made, and KO's to get into or close to the EZ.

Wells makes his kicks in games, and has not missed one yet. That should be all that is needed to have the job as a kicker.

KO's are a different story. I don't think either guy has a huge leg, and we should let Presley do it, or a walk on. Gotta get the ball into or close to the EZ. I like CGC, but this is stupid. The players aren't stupid, and they understand that being the kicker is different than other positions. Other than the Freshman the players know Wells makes his kicks, and I'm sure they'd prefer to see him out there as well.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Its game 2.

Its a kicker!

Move the damm ball closer.

I have been at every pregame game that ww kicked practice field goals.
I am pretty sure he ever missed and always kicked it right down the middle .

On last Saturday's warm up I am also very sure i saw him miss his last kick from left hash. It was pulled slightly left

I will investigate .

The second best sales man i ever had in 40 years of engineering sales was a field goal kicker for usf. He had an amazing ability to focus and block out all external negatives when he made a closing pitch. Cpj said ww could do that so i think ww will be our man.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm more bothered by our inability to KO to the end zone that an occaisionaly missed long FG attempt. That is where we need Wells or King or TBD to step up.

Fortunately we only KO'd 3 times in the game.:barefoot:
Had the same thought in a different context. Collins and Patenaude did a perfect job minimizing the number of opportunities for USF to return a kick off for a touchdown by not scoring. Brilliant. ;)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Food for thought that I didn't see mentioned yet.

Prior to the FG attempt, USF had two options:
  1. Accept a personal foul on GT and back us up to 3rd and 24 from the USF 49
  2. Decline the personal foul penalty and give us 4th and 9 from the USF 34

Did USF know who our FG kicker was? Logic suggests they knew of Wesley Wells' ability. Certainly they knew his stats and prior history. Of course they probably understood who King was as well.

USF declined the penalty and conceded the FG attempt.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'll add and tread lightly...

I watched pregame warm-ups a good bit as I was inside the stadium almost 2 hours before the game. Wesley Wells had a few uninspiring FG attempts (putting it mildly) that were frankly surprising to me, based on what I expected out of him and D1 kickers in general. I don't know what that means on the whole or if that was a representation of what coaches have seen in practice, but it was data that made me pause.

With that, I do not discount theories that suggest that there is more to the story than meets the eye. Collins' refusal to share injury info is just one purely hypothetical example; I don't personally have any info that confirms or denies that it applies in this situation.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Wells doesn’t have much leg. Shouldn’t be too surprising he got beat out; hell he broke camp last year as third string behind two guys that weren’t very good

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Wells doesn’t have much leg. Shouldn’t be too surprising he got beat out; hell he broke camp last year as third string behind two guys that weren’t very good

He was a true freshman last year. Watching him warm up throughout the year he had issues early in the year. I don't know for sure, but I assume it took him some time to get used to kicking without a block. He looked better warming up each game.

King apparently still wasn't healthy last year. The FG he missed on Saturday was far offline, but it went into the first/second row of seats pretty hard. If it had been online, it would have probably been good to 55-60 yards.

I say leave it up to the coaches to decide who to use, and in what situations to use them.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I'll add and tread lightly...

I watched pregame warm-ups a good bit as I was inside the stadium almost 2 hours before the game. Wesley Wells had a few uninspiring FG attempts (putting it mildly) that were frankly surprising to me, based on what I expected out of him and D1 kickers in general. I don't know what that means on the whole or if that was a representation of what coaches have seen in practice, but it was data that made me pause.

With that, I do not discount theories that suggest that there is more to the story than meets the eye. Collins' refusal to share injury info is just one purely hypothetical example; I don't personally have any info that confirms or denies that it applies in this situation.

After carefully reading all of the posts on this topic, I agree with this one the most of all. I agree with CuseJacket; it’s very likely there’s something or some things about the placekicking situation that we fans do not know.

So, I believe we all just need to trust CGC on this one, and see how the placekicking goes as the season proceeds.