Wesley Wells

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Don’t get why people believe that hush push, Collins was put on the spot in the interview he’s gotta stick to his guns and the “ATL” stuff.
He could have avoided all the fuss, simply by punting the friggin ball and put the other team deep in a close game. Even though it's very likely the kid that tried the kick is vastly improved, he has zero live game success that would suggest he was likely to make this one. Sure nuff, it wasn't even close.
The ATL formula needs the effort factor the previous week, removed like an under cooked doughy waffle at the WH.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
He could have avoided all the fuss, simply by punting the friggin ball and put the other team deep in a close game. Even though it's very likely the kid that tried the kick is vastly improved, he has zero live game success that would suggest he was likely to make this one. Sure nuff, it wasn't even close.
The ATL formula needs the effort factor the previous week, removed like an under cooked doughy waffle at the WH.

I like my waffles doughy...but my hashbrowns crispy.

In that example, the new guy is getting a promotion purely because of culture and being a "yes man" and not performance. If the top salesman is actually out performing the new kid, he should the job.

CGC has specifically said that King out preformed Wells in practice to earn the right to kick. That's why I tried to keep all things outside of performance equal in my example. As far as we know(from what CGC has said publicly), Wells and King show up to practice on time and both work hard but King has just kicked better in practice. Like everyone else, I think Wells earned the starting job, but I also don't expect CGC to make an exception to his rules because it will undermine everything he is trying to build.
Rules are not always the best metric to go by.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
According to CGC, my facetious comment a few days ago about Tom Brady not starting because he had a bad taco that lead to a few bad practices in the ATL format is accurate. :confused:

Maybe that’s why we have three QBs. They are equally good in practice(or equally bad).

The clean slate, games don’t matter thing is asinine.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Skov playing over Marshall was the obvious case. Other examples were at last debatable but that was the clear cut one.
oh idk, like not playing Tobias more last year!

I don't disagree that the players you mentioned seemed less effective than the ones you would rather have seen more of.

As a coach, however, I GUARANTEE that the deciding factor on which one played more was which one the coaches thought gave us the best chance to win. NO coach in America makes decisions any other way.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Lol. Assure us? Please try. I’m not giving the last regime a pass for doing this (Bryan) stupid stuff and not giving CGC a pass either. Sewak was a fool and CGC is being one now.

404 culture.....where practice matters more than games.

We really have no idea what caused this decision- maybe Wells was under the weather, had a leg sprain, broke up with his girlfriend, or whatever and missed practice or had a really brutal week of practice.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Which year are you talking about? The one where all the fans said he should be the one playing, or the next year when all the fans said he should not be the one playing?

It seems to me that the fans know less than they believe they do.
Exactly, i’m talking about both. I'm talking about endless bitching about things by people (probably many of the same ones as then) who don’t know what the hell they are talking about.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Rules are not always the best metric to go by.
Valid, but the way I interpret what CGC has said (I could be wrong), the rules are the guidelines that let the players know how you earn playing time. If everyone is following the rules, then performance is the metric that the coaches are using. CGC publicly stated that his decision was performance based. If CGC is telling the truth about King outperforming Wells in practice, then all the players are witnessing that at practice too. So if CGC doesn't abide by the guidelines he has set and doesn't play the top performers, then anytime he tells someone that their performance in practice matters, they won't believe him.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

“Previous game performance is always included in our thought process for playing time,” Collins wrote Wednesday. “We are constantly building a database internally for a full picture to determine (”Above the line”) playing time.”

Ya'll calm down. CGC has clarified his remarks. Ken getting off on the wrong foot with another head coach?

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
Both kickers were ATL, so the argument that there would have been some sort of violation of previously stated criteria if Wells had done some kicking in the game is moot. I will assume CGC thought King had the better chance to make the kick, not "had a better week of practice."

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. This is exactly why we need a Get back coach.
One of those defensive coaches, perhaps it is Coach Thacker, is about half way to needing one. If we are going to be elite, then we need to emulate Clemson right down to the "get back coach" even though personally I think the whole thing was contrived from the start as a way to get attention. All Bear Bryant ever had to do was slap that program he had rolled up on his leg and stare at the offending coach whose player or players had messed up and there was plenty of "getting back" if you know what I mean.