Wesley Wells

kalld12

Banned
It's not always a matter of choice on the athlete's part. The are many potentially extenuating circumstances affecting his performance in practice.

Not talking about that, i'm talking about the attention to detail, execution of assignments, and consistency throughout the week. I'm guessing your talking about potential illnesses/injuries? Please elaborate

kalld12

Banned
Lol, you might be drinking the Kool-Aid a little to much. If he benched Harvin there would be a riot, no matter what he did in practice during the week

There wont be a riot as long as Harvin continues to try and get better everyday. I swear some of you must love being average, because that's what you all are defending on here. Harvin can/will be punting on Sundays, no one is taking that away from him, but using WW as an example, hopefully Harvin/rest of team will continue to practice at a high level.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
There wont be a riot as long as Harvin continues to try and get better everyday. I swear some of you must love being average, because that's what you all are defending on here. Harvin can/will be punting on Sundays, no one is taking that away from him, but using WW as an example, hopefully Harvin/rest of team will continue to practice at a high level.
Idk why people can't have a difference of opinion without others attacking people personally. We're all GT fans man. We just don't agree on this situation. Chill out dude.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I like to come early to the games and watch all the warmups. For what it is worth King was kicking off much longer than Wells in warmups, enough that I noticed and I wondered if Wells was 100%. Wells was also attempting kicking much shorter field goals warming up. CGC is MUM about injuries so maybe there is more to this Wells/King talk. This issue will sort itself out with time and we have bigger issues with passing and pass blocking.

Animal02

Banned
Not talking about that, i'm talking about the attention to detail, execution of assignments, and consistency throughout the week. I'm guessing your talking about potential illnesses/injuries? Please elaborate
The only "culture" that will be developed if the coaches do not put the best players available on the field will be one of mediocrity.

Animal02

Banned
I like to come early to the games and watch all the warmups. For what it is worth King was kicking off much longer than Wells in warmups, enough that I noticed and I wondered if Wells was 100%. Wells was also attempting kicking much shorter field goals warming up. CGC is MUM about injuries so maybe there is more to this Wells/King talk. This issue will sort itself out with time and we have bigger issues with passing and pass blocking.
Or, Wells was told he wasn't starting so why strain the leg muscles ;)

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

No, I don't like being average. What I do like is to have someone who actually hits field goals to kick them in the game.

Injuries, illness, problems in class or off the field (such as family problems), mental/psychological letdown, any number of generally uncontrollable factors that affect practice. Of course, those same things can and do affect on-the-field performance, but generally the excitement of the actual game negates or minimizes those factors, whereas practice may or does not.

I don't think Wells was ever considered for kickoffs, although he couldn't possibly be much worse than King is on them. Wells proved himself last year with PATs and FGs (though not LONG ones), and, unless something has happened that we don't know about, he should still be strong in those areas.

Animal02

Banned
Injuries, illness, problems in class or off the field (such as family problems), mental/psychological letdown, any number of generally uncontrollable factors that affect practice. Of course, those same things can and do affect on-the-field performance, but generally the excitement of the actual game negates or minimizes those factors, whereas practice may or does not.
And some guys that are good just don't need to push it at practice....they turn it on for games. No same person would bench a Butker for taking it easy during the practice week and play someone that could not make the 15 on a KO

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Wells was ever considered for kickoffs, although he couldn't possibly be much worse than King is on them. Wells proved himself last year with PATs and FGs (though not LONG ones), and, unless something has happened that we don't know about, he should still be strong in those areas.

I looked back at the replay of the game. King had three kickoffs. The first was fielded at the 6 yard line. The second was fielded at the 8 yard line. The third was a pooch kick that was fair caught at about the 22 yard line. Someone made a comment earlier in the thread that they wanted a person to kickoff who could get the ball inside the 20. Last Saturday the kicks were inside the 10, except for a pooch kick.

I looked back at the replay of the game. King had three kickoffs. The first was fielded at the 6 yard line. The second was fielded at the 8 yard line. The third was a pooch kick that was fair caught at about the 22 yard line. Someone made a comment earlier in the thread that they wanted a person to kickoff who could get the ball inside the 20. Last Saturday the kicks were inside the 10, except for a pooch kick.
I want a kicker, like Butker, who could regularly kick it OUT OF THE ENDZONE.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I want a kicker, like Butker, who could regularly kick it OUT OF THE ENDZONE.

Butker is a great kicker, but I think your memory is somewhat selective. He had a TB percentage of about 40% as a freshman. That increased to about 74% as a senior. His overall FG percentage at GT was 71.7%. He made 4 total kicks greater than 50 yards.

As I said, he was and still is a great kicker. However, don't measure the current guys against an illusion of someone who made every single FG and regularly kicked the ball over North Avenue for kickoffs.