Wesley Wells

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I want a kicker, like Butker, who could regularly kick it OUT OF THE ENDZONE.
Well we’ve got WW and BK, and BK was kicking longer in warmups than WW. What’s your suggestion to fix this? We thought we had a guy coming in to replace Buttkicker, but he’s at Alabama now. Looks like we just got a pwo commit for next year. Davis had one more year of eligibility but he took his degree and moved on.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Butker is a great kicker, but I think your memory is somewhat selective. He had a TB percentage of about 40% as a freshman. That increased to about 74% as a senior. His overall FG percentage at GT was 71.7%. He made 4 total kicks greater than 50 yards.

As I said, he was and still is a great kicker. However, don't measure the current guys against an illusion of someone who made every single FG and regularly kicked the ball over North Avenue for kickoffs.
I think Butker was a descendant of William Wallace

Well we’ve got WW and BK, and BK was kicking longer in warmups than WW. What’s your suggestion to fix this? We thought we had a guy coming in to replace Buttkicker, but he’s at Alabama now. Looks like we just got a pwo commit for next year. Davis had one more year of eligibility but he took his degree and moved on.
IIRC Davis was terrible; that's why King replaced him. Again, kicking longer is not the issue; the issue is that Wells never missed a PAT. King might not either, but we know what Wells can do.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
IIRC Davis was terrible; that's why King replaced him. Again, kicking longer is not the issue; the issue is that Wells never missed a PAT. King might not either, but we know what Wells can do.
I was responding to your comment about “wanting a kicker like Butker who can kick it out of the back of the end zone”, so yes, kicking longer is your issue.

I think Davis handled the kickoffs last year, that’s why I brought him up.

I was responding to your comment about “wanting a kicker like Butker who can kick it out of the back of the end zone”, so yes, kicking longer is your issue.

I think Davis handled the kickoffs last year, that’s why I brought him up.
I thought King replaced Davis for kickoffs mid-season, and Wells replaced both for PATs and FGs midseason.

Animal02

Banned
If you don't kick manyFGs in games, you get stale.Having in week competition (with the job on the line) replicates the pressure.
Uh.....no.
And once again, it is a consistency / repetition thing.....snapper / holder / kicker.......if you a splitting reps, and not knowing who is going to be on the field each week, just lead to more inconsistency.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
And some guys that are good just don't need to push it at practice....they turn it on for games.

Uh.....no.
And once again, it is a consistency / repetition thing.....snapper / holder / kicker.......if you a splitting reps, and not knowing who is going to be on the field each week, just lead to more inconsistency.

If they can just turn in on for games and don't need to push it at practice, then why does repetition at practice and splitting reps matter?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We still on this? Even after CGC somewhat clarified his position and even after Cuse gave us some good intel on how the kicking looked in warmups? Kickgate, I guess we will call it.

None of that changed anything about this discussion lol. If you don’t like the discussion you are free to move along.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The incompleteness of so many of these rationalizations in this thread are spectacular. I’m greatly enjoying this thread

What strikes me is that most people's opinion is that one of the guys must be a bum. Some people are saying that King is a bum because he didn't kick well before. (Ignore the fact that he had a nagging injury for the past two years, just base your opinion on a subset of all of the facts) Others are saying that Wells is a bum because he didn't give enough effort in practice. (Ignore the fact that the coaches didn't actually say that he wasn't giving everything he could. Ignore that the coach doesn't discuss injuries. Ignore that we don't have enough information to know what was going on.)

I would rather look at good things. King missed a long FG badly, but he had more than enough distance on it. He did decent on kickoffs.

One thing that I think does deserve discussion is that CGC doesn't actually provide any real information. ATL is basically an alphabetical list of all the players who might play in the game. Press conferences are basically marketing talk. If you try to gain any actual insight in what the coach says, you will likely be mistaken. We, or at least I, have gotten used to getting direct answers to direct questions. Now, there aren't any direct answers. There are vague "marketing" statements that lead different people to different understandings about what was actually said. I don't think there is anything wrong with running a team that way, but people shouldn't expect to understand what the team is planning before a game and shouldn't expect to get answers to what went well or what went wrong after the game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What strikes me is that most people's opinion is that one of the guys must be a bum. Some people are saying that King is a bum because he didn't kick well before. (Ignore the fact that he had a nagging injury for the past two years, just base your opinion on a subset of all of the facts) Others are saying that Wells is a bum because he didn't give enough effort in practice. (Ignore the fact that the coaches didn't actually say that he wasn't giving everything he could. Ignore that the coach doesn't discuss injuries. Ignore that we don't have enough information to know what was going on.)

I would rather look at good things. King missed a long FG badly, but he had more than enough distance on it. He did decent on kickoffs.

One thing that I think does deserve discussion is that CGC doesn't actually provide any real information. ATL is basically an alphabetical list of all the players who might play in the game. Press conferences are basically marketing talk. If you try to gain any actual insight in what the coach says, you will likely be mistaken. We, or at least I, have gotten used to getting direct answers to direct questions. Now, there aren't any direct answers. There are vague "marketing" statements that lead different people to different understandings about what was actually said. I don't think there is anything wrong with running a team that way, but people shouldn't expect to understand what the team is planning before a game and shouldn't expect to get answers to what went well or what went wrong after the game.

Well that philosophy is fine but will almost certainly lead to more angst in the stands and disgruntlement over calls.