Wesley Wells

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If they can just turn in on for games and don't need to push it at practice, then why does repetition at practice and splitting reps matter?
What if the overall reps are not constant? What if the pie is bigger.

Looking at other sites and listenibg to player interviews they say they get way more reps due to pace of practice under cgc. Also they say they get immediate feed back because the coaches are right with them.

We seem to do a lot of arguing w zero relevant data. What if they both have injuries

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well that philosophy is fine but will almost certainly lead to more angst in the stands and disgruntlement over calls.

People can easily argue that Wells should be kicking without describing what a bum King is. People could easily argue that King deserves a chance without describing what a bum Wells is. The thing that seems to be causing angst in this thread is a steady stream of bickering over which kicker is the worst.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well we’ve got WW and BK, and BK was kicking longer in warmups than WW. What’s your suggestion to fix this? We thought we had a guy coming in to replace Buttkicker, but he’s at Alabama now. Looks like we just got a pwo commit for next year. Davis had one more year of eligibility but he took his degree and moved on.

The kicker who went to Alabama had very bad stats in high school. He hasn't kicked much this year. (One kickoff I think)

Just another example of the guy we didn't get, or the guy who is the backup, being incredibly much better than the one we have playing. Why can't we support our guys instead of dreaming about another guy who we "believe" is better, but more times than not doesn't perform better.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
What if the overall reps are not constant? What if the pie is bigger.

Looking at other sites and listenibg to player interviews they say they get way more reps due to pace of practice under cgc. Also they say they get immediate feed back because the coaches are right with them.

We seem to do a lot of arguing w zero relevant data. What if they both have injuries

What if Wells pulls kicks right when the moon is waxing gibbous? They have clear in game track records. One week of practice doesn’t mean squat in relation to their overall bodies of work. CGC screwed the pooch. Let’s just hope he is capable of learning from his mistakes rather than digging in to his dogma and repeating them.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
People can easily argue that Wells should be kicking without describing what a bum King is. People could easily argue that King deserves a chance without describing what a bum Wells is. The thing that seems to be causing angst in this thread is a steady stream of bickering over which kicker is the worst.

Neither is a bum. One clearly should be playing ahead of the other unless some drastic change has occurred since last year.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
The kicker who went to Alabama had very bad stats in high school. He hasn't kicked much this year. (One kickoff I think)

Just another example of the guy we didn't get, or the guy who is the backup, being incredibly much better than the one we have playing. Why can't we support our guys instead of dreaming about another guy who we "believe" is better, but more times than not doesn't perform better.
It’s not about Wells or King. It’s about Collins. I’m with you - support our guys and that includes our coaches. They see everything we see and more.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I looked back at the replay of the game. King had three kickoffs. The first was fielded at the 6 yard line. The second was fielded at the 8 yard line. The third was a pooch kick that was fair caught at about the 22 yard line. Someone made a comment earlier in the thread that they wanted a person to kickoff who could get the ball inside the 20. Last Saturday the kicks were inside the 10, except for a pooch kick.

I want it kicked out of the f'ing end zone occaisionally like the Clemson kicker or Butker.

We are talking about a kicker here right?

LOL, didn't you mean we are talking about "practice" here?

.......One thing that I think does deserve discussion is that CGC doesn't actually provide any real information. ATL is basically an alphabetical list of all the players who might play in the game. Press conferences are basically marketing talk. If you try to gain any actual insight in what the coach says, you will likely be mistaken. We, or at least I, have gotten used to getting direct answers to direct questions. Now, there aren't any direct answers. There are vague "marketing" statements that lead different people to different understandings about what was actually said. I don't think there is anything wrong with running a team that way, but people shouldn't expect to understand what the team is planning before a game and shouldn't expect to get answers to what went well or what went wrong after the game.

This drives an engineering crowd crazy. Ipso facto.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What if Wells pulls kicks right when the moon is waxing gibbous? They have clear in game track records. One week of practice doesn’t mean squat in relation to their overall bodies of work. CGC screwed the pooch. Let’s just hope he is capable of learning from his mistakes rather than digging in to his dogma and repeating them.
I was responding to the splitting reps not giving each player adequate reps.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Wow? You really do not know the difference between "pushing it" in practice and perfecting a sequence of snap / holder / kicker via repetition?
So then you’re saying it can’t just be turned on in game?

Wouldn’t the sequence you perfected from repetition in practice while not “pushing it” be off when you do “push it” in game?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
well, its better than nothing.--what do you suggest -"just wing it"?

That seems to be the current take of CGC regarding kickers.

You can’t really replicate game pressure try as you might. So I suggest actually appraising game performance kicks and playing the guy who was hands down better last year. So simple it seems obvious but......

Animal02

Banned
So then you’re saying it can’t just be turned on in game?

Wouldn’t the sequence you perfected from repetition in practice while not “pushing it” be off when you do “push it” in game?
<sigh> you will try to spin this every way til Sunday to protect CGC for his misguided decision.
Kicking is much like golf......mental and mechanics.......not how much you "push"
If you cannot grap that simple concept by this point, you never will.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
<sigh> you will try to spin this every way til Sunday to protect CGC for his misguided decision.
Kicking is much like golf......mental and mechanics.......not how much you "push"
If you cannot grap that simple concept by this point, you never will.
I’ve already said I personally think Wells had earned the right to start. I’m just confused because you say that it can be just turn it on in game but then also say it takes practice. If kicking is like golf, which I agree it is, it takes a lot of practice. I don’t think it’s something that can just be turned on when you show up to the course.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The
You’ve stated this 38 times now, everyone knows how you feel about it.
Why do you keep bitching?

Because folks keep quoting me and wanting to discuss it further. CGC screwed up. All coaches do. The good ones try not to repeat screw ups. Let’s hope ours is a good one. Thanks for playing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The

Because folks keep quoting me and wanting to discuss it further. CGC screwed up. All coaches do. The good ones try not to repeat screw ups. Let’s hope ours is a good one. Thanks for playing.
Its about time for the other crew to come on board, but we need all hands on deck tomorrow. This thread could be a mini Brad Stewart thread.

Keep using very short sentences. - if u do u can get to 14,000 posts before UNC

I think i will get ww s opinion of Brad Stewart as a holder.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I don't disagree that the players you mentioned seemed less effective than the ones you would rather have seen more of.

As a coach, however, I GUARANTEE that the deciding factor on which one played more was which one the coaches thought gave us the best chance to win. NO coach in America makes decisions any other way.

Wrong. That’s good of you that you don’t do that though. I commend you on that.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Its about time for the other crew to come on board, but we need all hands on deck tomorrow. This thread could be a mini Brad Stewart thread.

Keep using very short sentences. - if u do u can get to 14,000 posts before UNC

I think i will get ww s opinion of Brad Stewart as a holder.
I feel certain that Brad F’ng Stewart could have nailed that 50 yard kck

LibertyTurns

Banned
Butker is a great kicker, but I think your memory is somewhat selective. He had a TB percentage of about 40% as a freshman. That increased to about 74% as a senior. His overall FG percentage at GT was 71.7%. He made 4 total kicks greater than 50 yards.

As I said, he was and still is a great kicker. However, don't measure the current guys against an illusion of someone who made every single FG and regularly kicked the ball over North Avenue for kickoffs.
He may not have may every FG, but he made some that we still dream about.

Right now it appears we’re dreaming about riding the pine. I will say it takes a lot for a coach to take the guy that has the hot hand out of the game and replace him with a guy that struggled. The after that guy struggled you just didn’t say it was a bad kick and move along.