Well we made the front page of TMZ

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
<YAWN> Mutual consent. And "embarrassment " has nothing to do with it, You can pick up you parting gifts as you exit stage left.
He consented to getting knocked out? Listen we are all tech homers but come on you really think he was straight with that?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It’s been a few years since my last time on Grand Jury, but, yes, I believe law enforcement can file charges. If DA doesn’t fill there is a chance to prosecute, he/she will ask GJ to no bill. There are also differences in family violence/domestic abuse cases which I think the LEO has to file or something.

Yes. Domestic Violence is handled differently. And if the two room together/ live together it actually would then apply as domestic violence and an arrest would be mandated by state law...if LE responded at the time of the incident. This far out...not so much.

And that's only in the case of domestic violence. Which this likely is and would not go to a GJ. GJ only handles felonies, this would be misdemeanor battery or disorderly conduct and would never be presented to GJ. And couldn't be prosecuted unless the victim wished to seek prosecution.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He consented to getting knocked out? Listen we are all tech homers but come on you really think he was straight with that?

Posturing to fight...mutual combat...don't cry victim later just because you got whipped.

My philosophy, avoid the drama and trouble...but if trouble can't be avoided...be the one that lands the first blow.

Last edited:

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Domestic Violence is handled differently. And if the two room together/ live together it actually would then apply as domestic violence and an arrest would be mandated by state law...if LE responded at the time of the incident. This far out...not so much.

And that's only in the case of domestic violence. Which this likely is and would not go to a GJ. GJ only handles felonies, this would be misdemeanor battery or disorderly conduct and would never be presented to GJ. And couldn't be prosecuted unless the victim wished to seek prosecution.
Now, that’s an interesting twist!

herb

Helluva Engineer
This is the biggest nothing burger. Is this really news to everyone? Team mates get in a fight? What would have happened if they had video when you were 21? I don't think many would want to see themselves now

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech athletics is distributing the following statements at the requests of graduating football student-athletes Step Durham and Lance Austin.

Step Durham

First off, I would like to start by apologizing to Georgia Tech, my teammates – especially Lance Austin – and my coaches, fans and family for bringing a negative light on the school, the football program and my name.

My actions in the video that was made public today were unacceptable and the dispute should have been handled in a more adult manner. Taking disputes to a physical level is never the answer and I hope my peers take note of my mistake.

The incident occurred during the spring, which gave Lance and me an opportunity to discuss the matter and put it aside a long time ago. Lance and I have always had a brother-like relationship and brothers sometimes fight but, as I said before, the situation should have been handled in a more mature manner. I’m glad that even after the incident, our friendship remains strong.

I’m deeply sorry for my actions and, being an adult, I understand that consequences and judgment come with the actions shown. I hope to prove to those who don’t know me that I’m not a violent person whatsoever. I would respectfully ask those that have viewed the video not judge or categorize Lance or me based on what they saw in the video alone. Thank you.

Lance Austin

A lot has been made today of an incident that happened months ago. The video snippet of that incident is not beneficial to anyone. Step Durham apologized and we long ago put that incident behind us. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no further need for an apology. I forgave him already and we have since played well together as teammates this season. Like Step said, as brothers, we have put our aside our differences and our friendship remains strong.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech athletics is distributing the following statements at the requests of graduating football student-athletes Step Durham and Lance Austin.

Step Durham

First off, I would like to start by apologizing to Georgia Tech, my teammates – especially Lance Austin – and my coaches, fans and family for bringing a negative light on the school, the football program and my name.

My actions in the video that was made public today were unacceptable and the dispute should have been handled in a more adult manner. Taking disputes to a physical level is never the answer and I hope my peers take note of my mistake.

The incident occurred during the spring, which gave Lance and me an opportunity to discuss the matter and put it aside a long time ago. Lance and I have always had a brother-like relationship and brothers sometimes fight but, as I said before, the situation should have been handled in a more mature manner. I’m glad that even after the incident, our friendship remains strong.

I’m deeply sorry for my actions and, being an adult, I understand that consequences and judgment come with the actions shown. I hope to prove to those who don’t know me that I’m not a violent person whatsoever. I would respectfully ask those that have viewed the video not judge or categorize Lance or me based on what they saw in the video alone. Thank you.

Lance Austin

A lot has been made today of an incident that happened months ago. The video snippet of that incident is not beneficial to anyone. Step Durham apologized and we long ago put that incident behind us. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no further need for an apology. I forgave him already and we have since played well together as teammates this season. Like Step said, as brothers, we have put our aside our differences and our friendship remains strong.

Unless you've a brother or been a teammate you might not understand what the statement from both of these young men mean. My brother and I fought during our teen years and when it was over and it was over, period. Just as it is between Step and Lance.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Step Durham

Lance Austin

I think their statements put this issue to rest nicely.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Now, that’s an interesting twist!

Yeah...the wording of state law makes anyone "living together or formerly living together" persons subject to family violence. I'm not a huge fan of that wording but I get what the legislature was aiming at.

Primarily a separated couple where stalking or violence occurs after s split. Technically it potentially would encompass, for instance, me and my old college room mates. Even if I hadn't seen them in 20 years, we get into a scrap at a reunion and...family violence technically. Reasonable officers wouldn't construe it as such but a strict interpretation would make it so.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
There is a big opportunity here for the coaches at GT across all sports teams to have a candid conversation about nothing you do in this day/age just happens and is over. You need to be accountable and aware of your actions because once it is recorded/filmed it is around and will/could be used to misrepresent/support a agenda. The real facts about what lead up to this event are not known and what happened afterwards aren't shown. Perhaps it's just a most provocative portion of the video and what happened afterwards like them shaking hands and getting some ice aren't shown. It has been mentioned in this thread that a GT player may have leaked it to the media but the real possibility is that "who knows" and we may never know because once the original video leaves the original recorder and is shared it splinters multiple times as the receivers continue to share and now small scuffle between two teammates, which was handled internally as it should be, has made it's way into a public forum. Just as a pure example....Did you happen to notice how many times after games the players interact with opposing teams interact on a personal level b/c they know each other outside of the team they now play for and perhaps may have even played on the same teams or summer leagues. So perhaps it eventually made its way onto a website where fights, via a friend and then ultimately into someone's inbox who hates GT or perhaps one of these players in the film and smear the GT reputation, are posted by someone who received the video and because of these "public figures" names (college athletes) TMZ picked up on it and ran the story because people love to talk/speculate/smear other programs. Perhaps on of the most unfortunate aspects of incidents such as this is that it takes away energy, focus, attention, and time from GT coaches/AD in a critical time recruiting and program evaluation. I would dare to assume now that opposing teams websites (at the least) if the recruiting coaches from other teams that we are battling recruiting for perhaps will drop that little bread crumb in the laps of parents as "things unraveling at GT" because teammates are fighting each other... I mean here we are talking about it and have a thread dedicated to the silly video even suggesting that CPJ has lost control.... This is at nowhere near the same level which demonstrates a "the sky is falling" reaction.
Your handle checks out. Could I get a paragraph please? Thanks!