Virginia Postgame

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Even though they are "1" year, it cannot be pulled for performance reasons per the NCAA. I think the walk ons are a different issue.

This isn't an official NCAA website, but it does back up what you're saying.

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/

That said, there are ways to process kids while still giving them a free education.

ETA: This says it can be canceled for any reason, but also isn't an official NCAA site.

https://www.petersons.com/blog/understanding-athletic-college-scholarships/

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Even though they are "1" year, it cannot be pulled for performance reasons per the NCAA. I think the walk ons are a different issue.
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/question/how-long-does-my-athletic-scholarship-last

Athletic scholarships are given on a yearly basis. Many athletes and their families make the mistake of believe that athletic scholarships last all four years in college, but it’s not true.

That means that they award you financial aid one year at a time.

At the end of each year, scholarships are renewed by the coach and athletic department, provided that you remain eligible throughout the year.

You are allowed to be on athletic scholarships for up to five years in your college career.
Coaches are able to adjust the amount of the scholarship at the end of each year when it expires. That means they can increase, decrease, or get canceled altogether.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thank goodness for that! A reason to celebrate, yay! We now process! Oh joy!
And when we start to win no one will care. And you’ll be there cheering. Just get ready because Collins isn’t gonna hesitate one moment from making this team better. He has worked too hard to get to this position and he is going to sink or swim on his terms and especially not terms from a bye gone era.

herb

Helluva Engineer
And when we start to win no one will care. And you’ll be there cheering. Just get ready because Collins isn’t gonna hesitate one moment from making this team better. He has worked too hard to get to this position and he is going to sink or swim on his terms and especially not terms from a bye gone era.

I’ll be there. Just like I have been for 40+ years, just like my dad before me and my son now. I won’t like it. I don’t like it. But unlike a lot of people I won’t quit on my team and wish them to fail. I think you can win and be principled. Maybe I am wrong

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
My input from today is that I appreciate the competitive effort. Graham has to learn how to throw the shorter passes without dropping his arm down and throwing it over the receivers' heads. Our D is what it is - a pretty decent back 4-5 with really only a little help from the front 6-7. I think if Virginia had chosen to run the ball more between the tackles, it could have been uglier for us.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ll be there. Just like I have been for 40+ years, just like my dad before me and my son now. I won’t like it. I don’t like it. But unlike a lot of people I won’t quit on my team and wish them to fail. I think you can win and be principled. Maybe I am wrong

I agree except on your idea of “principled”. You and your family are awesome GT people. My family of GT alum and my future GT children I consider as awesome people. I just think it’s not right to assume someone isn’t principled because they do things that you say you wouldn’t do. But the days of arguing over this are past. We are now in an era of multi-million dollar coaches and mercenary players. I wish we weren’t but that is where we are. And Collins was hired to upgrade talent and he tells you honestly what his process is. He was careful this past off season as he had to be the nice new coach and he didn’t have the time before signing day to do too much. But now he is in total control and he’s seen what he has. He won’t straight pull a scholly but there are dozens of ways to turn a roster and he knows all of them. As a GT fan I’m excited that we’ll be on a level playing field with most of our competition.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Which is a giant step forward for our D over past versions.

And they have never quit.

This has also been my impression, though after week 9 we were about the same as recent years, statistically, iirc. I certainly agree that they never quit.

I'll run my numbers again tomorrow or Monday, and see how we shape up.

I certainly think we look much better than in recent years.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the ACC and other P5 conferences went to 4 year grants. Not sure if the kickers came before that

Animal02

Banned
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/question/how-long-does-my-athletic-scholarship-last

Athletic scholarships are given on a yearly basis. Many athletes and their families make the mistake of believe that athletic scholarships last all four years in college, but it’s not true.

At the end of each year, scholarships are renewed by the coach and athletic department, provided that you remain eligible throughout the year.

You are allowed to be on athletic scholarships for up to five years in your college career.
Coaches are able to adjust the amount of the scholarship at the end of each year when it expires. That means they can increase, decrease, or get canceled altogether.

Not quite.;)

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/
In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason. Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance.

Here are several facts about this rule:
– This new rule was voted in by the universities of the “Power 5” conferences – the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, and SEC, as well as Notre Dame. This rule must be followed by these 65 universities.
– Other Division I schools and conferences can choose to follow this rule, but are not required to do so. So, an athlete receiving an athletic scholarship from a university that is NOT one of the 65 mentioned here might still receive a one-year scholarship which a coach can choose not to renew for the following academic year.
– The “protection” provided by this rule only applies to athletes who signed their National Letter of Intent and scholarship agreement after the new rule was approved in January of this year (at the NCAA Convention), will be enrolling in a Division I university as a freshman or new transfer this Fall, AND who will be receiving an athletic scholarship in their first year of enrollment.
The rule will NOT apply to athletes who are not receiving an athletic scholarship in their first year of enrollment at their university. (Example: a volleyball player not receiving an athletic scholarship in their freshman year, but promised one in the following three years, will not receive the protection of this new rule.)
– It is still possible for universities to cancel or choose to not renew a scholarship for reasons that are NOT related to athletic performance.

Cancellation or non-renewal IS possible if an athlete:

• Is ruled to be ineligible for competition;
  • Provides fraudulent information on an application, letter of intent, or financial aid agreement;
  • Engages in serious misconduct that rises to the level of being disciplined by the university’s regular student disciplinary board;
  • Voluntarily quits their team; or
  • Violates a university policy or rule which is not related to athletic conditions or ability (such as a university policy on class attendance, or an athletic department policy regarding proper conduct on a team trip).

The bolded part is why Wells could have his pulled

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
This has also been my impression, though after week 9 we were about the same as recent years, statistically, iirc. I certainly agree that they never quit.

I'll run my numbers again tomorrow or Monday, and see how we shape up.

I certainly think we look much better than in recent years.

We tackle better, that’s for sure. I think our pass rush is weaker than it has been in several years. Lots of young, under-sized guys up front.

Those two things might account for why we look better but statistically are the same.

Animal02

Banned
This isn't an official NCAA website, but it does back up what you're saying.

That said, there are ways to process kids while still giving them a free education.

ETA: This says it can be canceled for any reason, but also isn't an official NCAA site.

https://www.petersons.com/blog/understanding-athletic-college-scholarships/
The first link is the one that is my understanding of the rules for P5 schools and it is only since 2015.....which would cover just about everyone on the team.

This
The rule will NOT apply to athletes who are not receiving an athletic scholarship in their first year of enrollment at their university.

would allow Well's scholly to not be renewed.

Animal02

Banned
We tackle better, that’s for sure. I think our pass rush is weaker than it has been in several years. Lots of young, under-sized guys up front.

Those two things might account for why we look better but statistically are the same.
I do think the better tackling is in part due to more strength conditioning......I have seen a couple of arm tackles that would never have happened in the past.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree except on your idea of “principled”. You and your family are awesome GT people. My family of GT alum and my future GT children I consider as awesome people. I just think it’s not right to assume someone isn’t principled because they do things that you say you wouldn’t do. But the days of arguing over this are past. We are now in an era of multi-million dollar coaches and mercenary players. I wish we weren’t but that is where we are. And Collins was hired to upgrade talent and he tells you honestly what his process is. He was careful this past off season as he had to be the nice new coach and he didn’t have the time before signing day to do too much. But now he is in total control and he’s seen what he has. He won’t straight pull a scholly but there are dozens of ways to turn a roster and he knows all of them. As a GT fan I’m excited that we’ll be on a level playing field with most of our competition.

Yay. We get to be unethical in the name of winning is everything. Who wouldn't be excited about that...

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
It’s fortunate for us because I cant remember the last time the ACC has been this bad. It’s all up for the taking these next few years.....except for Clemson.