Virginia Postgame

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
This all started because you said 2008/2009 was the best two year stretch to show Paul's best was with CGC recruits. Of course, that ignores 2014, and I anticipate that your response would be that 2014 was an outlier, so I countered by pointing 2014/2016 was actually the best top two out of three year stretch, which was with Paul's recruits and not CGC.

Whether 2016 was good by your standards or not is besides the point. The point is that it was about the same as 2008. Which is back to my point about your "best two year stretch" being outcome driven.

I’m afraid I don’t understand. Johnson’s best 3 year stretch was 08-10. Not 14-16.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was unable to watch this game until yesterday. The biggest takeaway I have is that our offense has improved a lot, but there’s still a long way to go for the OL and QB play. On the bright side, both have improved dramatically from the beginning of the season. Unfortunately, our offense will be limited until they improve. JP Mason and Jamious Griffin are outstanding RBs who will do a lot of damage to opposing defenses if we can get some more improvement out of the OL. Graham has a lot of potential and is starting to show flashes but needs more coaching on the mental aspect and some fine tuning of his throwing mechanics. We have a strong receiving corps that unfortunately hasn’t been able to shine due to our aforementioned limitations. Our defense has a lot of room for improvement as well, but I am very impressed with both the improvement in play and the improvement in depth that our defensive staff has accomplished. While we’re still installing the new offense, don’t expect very many points in the second half since the playbook is not expansive enough yet to respond to defensive adjustments.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One other observation I would like to mention is that most of the plays that burned the defense were made possible by Perkins’ athleticism. They were mostly QB scrambles, designed QB runs, and rollout passes where the defender had to choose between covering the receiver and stopping Perkins (I like to call that one the Lamar Jackson play). In year 1, I’m willing to live with that.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Rewatched.

1. Minihan back on the OL made a difference. Going to be a good player for us.

2. Grahm has come a long way. I like how he throws the ball away instead of taking sacks. One heady play he threw it in the ground near a receiver when he wouldnt have been able to get it OOB/past the LOS. Gets what he can on runs. Using his TE more frequently. Spreading the ball around to a bunch of different guys is a very good sign.

3. Moving Oliver to WR paying dividends. Several catches, good yardage.

4. Defense played a gutsy game missing guys off the line. I like the scheme, effort, and generally the tackling. A more mature, better stocked front 7 with length to block passing lanes will make a difference. J. Griffin with another sack...watch out for him in coming seasons.

5. Special teams made the difference. UVA is #1 and we are #99, and it showed, especially on returns.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I like Graham, but the bottom line is we have athletes playing QB and not true QB’s. Graham will continue to get better since he’s very young. But, I seriously doubt our 2021 QB is on the roster right now. I’d love to see Graham be our next Joe Ham and I’m rooting for him, but I also know we are going to bring in players who are going to push for playing time.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I like Graham, but the bottom line is we have athletes playing QB and not true QB’s. Graham will continue to get better since he’s very young. But, I seriously doubt our 2021 QB is on the roster right now. I’d love to see Graham be our next Joe Ham and I’m rooting for him, but I also know we are going to bring in players who are going to push for playing time.

You keep trolling about how bad the players are on the team. Graham is a QB and has "elite" arm strength.

martinezjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
You keep trolling about how bad the players are on the team. Graham is a QB and has "elite" arm strength.

While I agree his arm strength is great... he must improve his accuracy. When he has time, he can't over or under throw by 5 yards. I am very interested to see what he will look like after being the #1 qb through the off-season. Work on mechanics, accuracy, and progression.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What in Game decision has he made that has directly costed us a win?
This was my explanation for how poorly the last 27 seconds was handled. All coaching. All in our control.

https://gtswarm.com/threads/set-the...rt-at-ready-for-play.19291/page-4#post-628699

This soundbite exacerbates how poorly we handled the last 27 seconds. The "sudden change" or "situational awareness" that was praised last week, was turned on its head this week, and it almost entirely points to coaching.
  1. Decision to spike the ball - Tobias had to look to the sidelines for instruction. Coaches responded by signaling the spike. You can debate whether spiking and forfeiting 1 of our 3 attempts at a TD, and it would be a conversation by itself imo, if it weren't for the more egregious decisions that followed. There's something here, imo.
  2. Snap infraction - First, it took us 4 seconds from a stopped clock to hike the ball to spike. That's problem #1. Problem #2 is the snap infraction i.e., players were not prepared for the situation.
  3. See @DenverJacket56's post below. 10 second runoff vs. taking a timeout. I mean, you almost have to try to be unprepared for that situation as a coach. It has been a rule long enough, and apparently the decision was made to sacrifice 10 seconds i.e., at least 1 attempt to the end zone, in order to preserve a timeout that we might not need. Basically, we decided to forfeit 1st down with a spike, and 2nd down with the 10 seconds runoff.
  4. Misunderstanding that the clock will start at "ready for play" vs "on the snap". Realllly bad look by Collins now in hindsight based on the postgame press conference. Needs to do a lot of damage control because this, compounded with the aforementioned, is nothing short of an indictment of coaching preparedness. For all the talk about situational awareness, we had a coaching staff with years of experience that either did not handle the pressure, or at best didn't prioritize one of the most critical aspects of their job.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

If you don’t think we need an infusion of talent then I don’t know what to say. We have a lot of very good players being held back by circumstances which have forced guys into playing who should never see the field. We’ve only won 2 games because of it. In two years when the talent is significantly upgraded we’ll be winning a lot more games.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
If you don’t think we need an infusion of talent then I don’t know what to say. We have a lot of very good players being held back by circumstances which have forced guys into playing who should never see the field. We’ve only won 2 games because of it. In two years when the talent is significantly upgraded we’ll be winning a lot more games.

you mean it’s not ideal to be playing Frosh all over the DL?