Virginia Postgame

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
It is true that I think there were people that were easy to pick at about our "high school offense". They wanted this social bullying to stop, so they wanted the 3O to fail. I am amazed at people who care so much what others think.

If I thought GT could recruit at a top 10 level, then sure, I would of also been against bringing CPJ to Tech, but I thought then, and I still believe today, we have to have a genius O coordinator to give us a chance, and I do not think we have that right now. Yes, I wanted PJ and his staff to be better recruiters, and I really do believe a person like Monken could have provided a vision to help get our recruiting into the top 35 more consistently while keeping the option principles, but that was pre-determined to not be possibility. We better find someone like Joe Brady at LSU or other, or we won't be able to ever beat a team with decent coaching and significantly more talent for some time to come. (daU's coaching is pretty poor, but they still win with any FG kicking) Better 3 star players will not get us there. A few more 4 star players, unless they are LOS players, will not get us there either.

LSU is the perfect illustration. They have top talent each and every year. Yet, until this year their offensive coaching has been subpar. Now they finally have great offensive coach, and they are amazing. You have to have greatly superior offensive coaching and in game play calling. I just haven’t seen it from Patenaude. We Don’t have Fridge or CPJ level play calling. I’m not sure Monken would have gotten their either.

Deleted member 2897

Yesterday’s play and results could have been from a 5 or 6 win GT team. We didn’t play like a 2-win team. Sure we weren’t perfect, but nobody is. Alabama had just as many missed kicks, special teams errors, and so on that we did. We in large part played a good game. We didn’t look like the team we have before in the past.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yesterday’s play and results could have been from a 5 or 6 win GT team. We didn’t play like a 2-win team. Sure we weren’t perfect, but nobody is. Alabama had just as many missed kicks, special teams errors, and so on that we did. We in large part played a good game. We didn’t look like the team we have before in the past.

I see continuous improvement each week. One of the things I really enjoy in a season is having a team that is markedly better at the end of the year than when they began. The Laskey/Days OB was at the top of the list in this regards. The 89 team too. Of course I like the victories but I see progress and hope for better days.

Yesterday's loss was due to ST's.:banghead::banghead: I hate having to defend KO returns. Seems like every team we play doesn't have to do that because they kick the ball into the end zone. The TD right before half was a backbreaker and was a result mostly of the kickoff return. Watching them score so quickly brought back many recent painful memories.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
But I’m gonna stop being so hard on Patenaude for one reason. Is he could be worse. I, like a dumbass, had the over at 42 on the UT-UK game in a 7 team parlay where all of my other picks won. So I watched a lot of this horrible game. It was like 2 monkeys trying to f*** a football. It was the worst coaching I have ever seen. Yes they had some individually talented players. They were both horridly coaches teams. We are a much, much better coached team and I think right now we beat both teams.

I do think CGC is really imaginative with the branding and his organization seems stellar. Kids seem to really love him. Defense is light years ahead, except some linebackers. Offense isn’t horrible anymore. I personally just think it is boring and unimaginative. But I had the opportunity to watch an alternative that was much much worse. A passing version and a running version. I know Kentucky was playing with a WR at QB, but it was just bad. It was like someone trying to imitate CPJ’s VT game last year out of the shotgun, without know what CPJ’s scheme was and how to implement it. It was like watching someone say, hey we are just going to call a bunch of running plays. Everyone one of the ones that were in this playbook that I found.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Which is why ibeeballin said the OL deserve a lot of praise. We protected very well for a team that gets a lot of sacks.
It took us 9 games to figure out how to move the pocket. At least we finally figured out what your average armchair QB knew since the 77th anniversary of the day that will live in infamy.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Watching them score so quickly brought back many recent painful memories.

I believe it was VT 2012 when we scored with exactly 44 seconds on the clock. Of course they went on to score then too. When we scored yesterday, I thought surely our new and improved defense wouldn’t let that happen again. So much for that. I also couldn’t stop thinking of Woody Danzler. They were obviously going to keep running the QB and we still couldn’t stop it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You can’t say family is the number one priority and then process kids. It just doesn’t match up.
Lets look and see how it stacks up on scholarships. Now I could be wrong ( if you believe my wife)
First lets look at this chart.
https://247sports.com/college/georgia-tech/Season/2019-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/
you will see 81 players on scholarship ( Wells not showing on here not sure why I remember before the season CGC put him on maybe it was only for one year)
out of 81 only 10 seniors but 2 of those are out for the season ( Camp and Lee ) and we have been told they are coming back next year.

so if my math is right and Y'all need to check me cause I graduated from Southern Tech not Georgia Tech.
81 players 10 seniors 2 coming back = 73 on scholarship.

Now at this time we have 23 commitments and 1 transfer coming in next year so that would be 97. Now if I remember right 97> 85. So that would be 12 over. Going back and looking at the chart we have 9 Running Backs , 12 WR's , and I was surprised 10 Defensive ends. Now

Right now I'm not to concerned we have 15 Juniors and maybe 1 or 2 will be finished and graduate this year and move on. ( Damn thinking about it 10 sr 15 jr and 81 players on scholarship 70% are So and Fr we are really young. ) I also would guess the CGC knows the players that are not wanting to come back . Could be an interesting summer but for now I have to trust our coaches know who is not coming back.

Scubapro

Banned
But I’m gonna stop being so hard on Patenaude for one reason. .

Why? He deserves it. There is a reason he was a position coach at schools like Holy Cross and Hofstra for his 20+ year career.
If he was worth anything he would have been picked up as an OC earlier.
He could have Alabama's talent and struggle to score more than 17 points per game.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why? He deserves it. There is a reason he was a position coach at schools like Holy Cross and Hofstra for his 20+ year career.
If he was worth anything he would have been picked up as an OC earlier.
He could have Alabama's talent and struggle to score more than 17 points per game.
We must be really talented scoring 28 against a good defense.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I can visually show you we’ve moved the pocket every game this season
Yes, there have been plays where we moved the pocket every game. This was the first one that resembled a functioning offensive line. Not sure what they were practicing in spring, etc but that coupled with effective use of running is what we should have been doing all along. We’ve had the players for this all along. We could have transitioned without it being the most monumental transformation ever seen in the history of man and there wouldn’t have been incessant yammering among the fanbase (and not just on this board by the way, it’s in every damn group of GT fans I associate with) about the competence of the staff.

By the way did anyone hear Fleck use the phrase “monumental transformation”? Must be the latest MBA/ C-suite jargon for dismiss my crappy results while I find my *** with both hands. Worked for him but there’s only about 1-2 teams max that can get away with that in any given season. The odds of a turnaround are slim indeed which coupled with GT’s less than optimal roadblocks make it even less likely. It’s not like the competition is just going to lay down & let you whoop their ***. I really do hope we can find a way to plow resources into the program because all the gloss in the world is not going to make us win. Resources is the answer, has been the answer & will always be the answer. You can only fight the Army you have, not the one you hope to have.

I’ll finish with I’m just glad I can go to the game next Saturday without a pall of despair hanging over the program. We can win the next 2 if we can build on what we did Saturday and finish the year on a positive note which will help get recruiting energized. We desperately need that. Got some gaping holes that need plugging.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I like what I heard from CGC, but does every single team we play have "one of the best defenses in college football"?

Don’t think he has ever said every team we play has, but statistically um, Pitt and uvag have been rated. Or at least certain statistical categories.

Perhaps advantage of playing in ACC.

Animal02

Banned
Lets look and see how it stacks up on scholarships. Now I could be wrong ( if you believe my wife)
First lets look at this chart.
https://247sports.com/college/georgia-tech/Season/2019-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/
you will see 81 players on scholarship ( Wells not showing on here not sure why I remember before the season CGC put him on maybe it was only for one year)
out of 81 only 10 seniors but 2 of those are out for the season ( Camp and Lee ) and we have been told they are coming back next year.

so if my math is right and Y'all need to check me cause I graduated from Southern Tech not Georgia Tech.
81 players 10 seniors 2 coming back = 73 on scholarship.

Now at this time we have 23 commitments and 1 transfer coming in next year so that would be 97. Now if I remember right 97> 85. So that would be 12 over. Going back and looking at the chart we have 9 Running Backs , 12 WR's , and I was surprised 10 Defensive ends. Now

Right now I'm not to concerned we have 15 Juniors and maybe 1 or 2 will be finished and graduate this year and move on. ( Damn thinking about it 10 sr 15 jr and 81 players on scholarship 70% are So and Fr we are really young. ) I also would guess the CGC knows the players that are not wanting to come back . Could be an interesting summer but for now I have to trust our coaches know who is not coming back.
And here we return to the resetting of the cycle of the definition of "process".
Most people view it as a negative term and thus limit it's application to a coach actively running a kid off, and not simply being honest with a kid wrt possible future playing time etc. Most people have a big problem with the former but not the latter. (Granted there can be a fine line between the two). However, the are a few, the win at all cost crowd, that actually look forward to the real processing.....which to me is a disgusting.