Virginia Postgame

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Before reading through...

A shout out to improved offense in the first half.

Punt and kick off coverage still needs serious work.

A couple of mental farts on hard counts on the D.
Clock management still needs some work. Having to burn a TO to avoid a delay of game and letting 11 seconds burn before calling our first TO to give us some time if the D could stop UVA on their last possession.

Overall, the D did well.

The O had some shining moments, but 3/9 on third down, was 1/7 going into our last drive, is what killed us today on that side of the ball.

Still room for improvement. But much feeling today than 5 games earlier this year. (Did not include the Clemson game)

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Not taking anything away from our guys, I just haven't paid any attention to NC State this season. Are they playing that poorly this year? (Just generally curious)
Lost by 17 to West Virginia, 18 to Florida State, 21 to Boston College, and 34 to Wake Forest. Wins are East Carolina, Western Carolina, Ball State, and Syracuse. They stink.

GT_EE78

Banned
Nice to see signs of life from graham and the offense. Still it's another notch in the L column with plenty to work on. Chances will be better the next two.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Key and the OL earned steak dinners today.

The decision to kick away Reed before half was a killer.

Take both Kickers schollies at season end.

Great bounce back by Graham.

I’m sick of of LBs. On the rub slants, our LBs are in no man land. I green dog the RB (blitz if he stays in pass pro) or sink underneath the slant. That plays was open quite bit bc of that
Agree with everything except take the schollies. First miss of Wells' career, and we should take his scholly? King was doing KOs today, not him I believe.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with that one, but I think he used the others too soon. However, there also still seems to be too much time calling plays in. And seems PNut lacks attention to our situation sometimes on the plays he calls.

Disagree. The key was making the 3rd down stop. If CGC saves the time outs and they make the 3rd down the saved time outs are wasted as they can run the clock way down with 4 more downs.. If he uses the time outs and we make a third down stop we have saved enough time to do some good. I concur with using the time outs but not the call on D on 3rd down to not get on the nose of the receivers. On that down we seemed to scheme to not get beat worse than to scheme to get the stop.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Offense made big strides today. Graham missed a couple throws but made some really good plays. He has a high ceiling in my opinion if he can start hitting the easy throws.

Oline looked a lot better as the game went on. Crazy how that happens when we have a passing threat and teams have to respect that.

Mason played great again. Guy is a workhorse and has great vision. Keep feeding him.

Carter with a great catch for a td and another big drop. Needs to be more consistent.

Brown is freaky fast and adjust to the ball in the air at an elite level.

Good to see Oliver and the TEs involved. Big plays for first downs.

Defense played hard, we just had no answer for Perkins when he wanted to run. Honestly, they could have ran him 90% of the time and marched the ball down the field. That being said, they played hard and made some plays. Just couldn’t get the stop at the end when we needed it.

Special teams lost this game. Field position was awful. Harvin had a great kick to flip the field but the rest were just bad. Our kickoff team should just kick it out of bounds every time or onside kick. It’s embarrassing watching us try to cover a kick. Can’t make an easy fg and we catch a punt on our 1.

This team isn’t good enough to have a terrible game in any phase and we did in one today. I like the progress on offense, just wish we could’ve pulled it out.

Good post but disagree on drop by Carter. Ball was too far out of reach. He made a great effort just to touch it.

Well, had to get up from the LSU Bama game and see what was being said.
My opinion, they were just one guy better than us today. Bryce Perkins beat us and when a player is capable of that not much you can do. The offense looked better today. Graham was on. I would still like to try and run outside a little more and am still looking for that reverse to Oliver.

As banged up as the defense is we held out well.

The other culprit today was field position. I know they have a great return guy but man kick it deep. When you kick short they are sure to get it at the 35 or better. We can win our next 2.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Good post but disagree on drop by Carter. Ball was too far out of reach. He made a great effort just to touch it.

Almost put (tough drop) when I posted. Great effort and it would’ve been a great catch. He did get two hands on it. Good throw and he would’ve had a chance to get up field too.