USF Postgame Discussion

Jmonty71

Banned
I think I'm glad I was camping and missed the game. Did I seriously read, that they returned 2 kick offs, on us??? How horrible..... Once again....we sure put the SPECIAL in special teams.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like CPJ. I always have. I like that he doesn’t suffer stupid questions. I also think he’s proven his offensive system can compete on this level based on numbers on the offensive side.

However, he’s not judged on his system working. He’s judged on winning and losing and lately he’s been doing more of the latter. Yea a lot of weird stuff has been happening in some games but early in his tenure he would win the close games. Now it’s the opposite. I would not complain if we moved on from him after this season for the sake of winning. I like CPJ, but I like GT more. Hire lane kiffin.

People mad about his attitude to reports don’t watch enough post game interviews with coaches who have lost. To me talking to someone after a rough failure I would expect them to be upset. Think about all the posts you’re reading right after our loss? Not a lot of calm heads.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think I'm glad I was camping and missed the game. Did I seriously read, that they returned 2 kick offs, on us??? How horrible..... Once again....we sure put the SPECIAL in special teams.

Back to back kickoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
He knows it. Just a bad team and not a lot of talent. Go back and look at all the recruits offer list. We compete with lower tier a school for recruits .

You know I ain't real thrilled today either but this lower tier a school for recruits is bull and have been debunked on more than one occasion. Go look at the last 3 classes and take a look who has offered the current players and recruits coming with the '19 class. Are they Bama/Clempson level? No. But they ain't Jax St level either.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
If anyone is familiar with Kirk Ferentz's 10-year Theory, it's that folks like their head coach 10% less each season. If you last to the 10-year mark, you get a full reset. With CPJ, it seems like he didn't hit that reset button. I am not giving up on the season and think we can continue to get better (and possibly win the Coastal). We didn't look stellar to start out 2014 either. But next week might be a make or break game for CPJ's tenure at GT.

For anyone calling for CPJ's head, a new coach isn't going to correct the fundamental issues with GT (i.e. spending and academic rigor/lack of majors). I almost wonder if CPJ's early success hurt him in the long run, creating donors who thought we could compete on a low budget (consistently bottom 10 among Power 5 with Oregon State, Washington State, and Purdue). If we end up firing CPJ, we put ourselves even deeper into a financial hole. Would you be comfortable dipping into the 2020 Initiative's current $40 million funds to buy out his contract and get a decent coach? Who do you hire that is as good or better than CPJ where we won't be outbid by another team? The only way we step up as a program whether with or without CPJ is by putting the money into it.

In the case of CPJ being fired, I don't see us going with another flexbone coach. Our realistic choices, in my opinion, would be (in no particular order) Scott Satterfield (App State HC), Mike Norvell (Memphis HC), and possibly Neal Brown (Troy HC). Also throwing out wildcards like Charlie Strong (forgot where he coaches...) and Mark Helfrich (Chicago Bears OC, formerly Oregon HC). But there's a lot of football to be played before we start seriously talking about this. CPJ can save his job with a 7-win season, I think, provided our current financial debt to Gregory and Hewitt lasts one more year.

I would take a shot on Mike Norvell, Lane Kiffin, Neal Brown or Charlie Strong. I also really like what John Grass has done at Jax St.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I will start by saying I've been drinking, probably like most of us ...
The bottom line for me beyond the X's and O's is CPJ is the HC, he is responsible for all of it ... and this is SS-DD same sh**-different day !!
We ran CTR out of town, one of us an alumni and some of us annointed Woody as our savior ...
Maybe it's the system maybe it's recruiting, but something needs to change because this REALLY SUCKS !!

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

Hey, I was babysitting my grandsons and missed the game, as well. Now, I just have some really fond memories compared to the usual crapping the bed Tech is known for. I am sad for Tech, but not surprised in the least.