USF Postgame Discussion

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I have been a jacket fan since 07. I have always defended CPJ, even after last season.

But at the end of the day...

If we cannot recruit top talent because of the scheme, we will be outskilled by almost every side in the ACC.

Great CPJ teams rely on everything to go right. But even then, our best teams will be lucky to beat Georgia/compete for the ACC title 50% of the time.

I am not calling for anyone's head.

I am just tired.
First the falcons, then today.

I am tired.
... it's not the scheme...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, here's what I think:

1. 27 first downs, 602 yards total offense, 7.4 yards a play, 10 minutes more ball possession, 38 points. No, sports fans, the offense is not the problem. That said, I would have left Tobias in the game for at least another series. The reason is simple: drives he led took more time off the clock. I would have liked to play the game again, however, with both Benson and TM on the field for the whole game; they were tearing things up at first.

2. Two KO returns for TDs!? Well, that is too bad, but bad things happen occasionally on special teams.

3. The D was … pretty much absent, but it also lost Carpenter and Curry, both pretty good country football players. Still, I said before the season that there would be teething problems. It was obvious that the players were still trying to figure out what they should be doing on some plays. (That's why people are complaining that the LBs are slow; not true: they were confused.)

4. And the D and one untimely fumble was why we lost the game. I was expecting a close one and, even with the returns, had we not lost the ball on the Bull 25 with the crucial fumble, it would have been. The biggest problem, however, was that we couldn't stop them when we needed to.

5. I expect the D will get better, but I think the promise of a knock-out D unit has been exposed. The players need game experience with the system, pure and simple.

6. Some of this is on Coach and some on Woody. But I was apprehensive about this game from the first. Given that we had two KO return TDs, 2 interceptions, and fumbled the ball three times it's surprising that we kept it so close.

7. Unlike some above, I don't think the season is lost by a long shot. If we continue to improve, then there's every reason to expect a decent result. This game reminded me a lot of GSU in 2014 with the result going the other way. Let's wait and see, shall we?

Lol I remember in April when people were praising PJ and were happy with his extension!! We literally rewarded him for going 5-6!!

Another thing, It’s just crazy/sad how much Uga has passed us in recent years.
The mutts passed us in 1967, and we've been playing catchup ever since. We win a few then lose a bunch, then win a few, then lose a bunch. It goes on and on. Will it ever end? I hope to heaven it does, but the odds aren't great.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Im not going to complain too much about the kick returns or the ejections simply because we had a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter in spite of that. We somehow managed to lose by double digits anyways. Even if we were playing Clemson, I would be rather upset about blowing a 10 point lead in the final quarter. Against South Florida it is completely unacceptable and there is plenty of blame for the offense, defense, and coaching staff for letting that happen.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Over 600 yards of offense... 7.5 yards per rush. Nearly 200 passing yards on 50% completions. Tech only had to punt twice the entire game. Won time of possession.

Special teams gives up 14 points, and the defense cant get any stops. There just isnt any speed out there on defense.

You can add this game to games like Tennessee from last year where its unbelievable they cant win, and its entirely because of the defense.
This ^^^

Except for the turnovers, the O did what was needed to win.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Pointing fingers at the offense, defense, or special teams is worthless. Not a single aspect of our team did it's job to win today. Doing their job would require actually winning and both the offense and the defense completely folded when it was time to close the game out. It's an entire team issue.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think some must overestimate some of our guys. I think most coordinators will try to put BM in space. Last year, they found ways to move Austin into the box and Brant out of it. We have to coordinate around some of these things, or change personnel.

Hopefully getting Kenny back will help the line. There were a few really bad busts in pass blocking.

Also, wonder if the "run to the ball" stuff has something to do with never playing the zone read like it's an option.

Tobias looked good. Not sure pulling him "lost the game" but he can help us.
Pulling Tobias is what gave us a chance to win. Third and 9 is when Marshall came back in. You may remember that he did complete a pass for first down to give us an opportunity to go down to score.

Pulling Tobias is what gave us a chance to win. Third and 9 is when Marshall came back in. You may remember that he did complete a pass for first down to give us an opportunity to go down to score.
That was a perfect call by Johnson, putting TM back in. But with him still limping after every play, I just don't think he was physically (maybe even mentally) capable of doing what he did in the first half.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. PJ handled the QB situation perfectly IMO. He left Oliver in as long as he continued to be effective running a limited play book. The last drive did not begin well, so he brought Marshall in, who continued the drive.