USF Postgame Discussion

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yeah. Real classy. The special teams disaster is 100% coaching.
do you really think the coaches tell them to break down in properly? He obviously pointed out the fact is that the players did not do what they were coached to do.
How is that not obvious to everybody? That question is facetious I know the reason why.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I posted this elsewhere, but...

IF CPJ moves on after this year and we bring in a new staff, how does that fix the defense? The offense will probably be less efficient and control the ball less. So, will a new DC take the same players and do more? Coach NW didn't get stupid overnight. He knows a little about defense.

Is it that great defensive players don't want to practice against the TO? Get rid of the TO and the 4 and 5 star defensive guys will start coming to Tech?

I just have a hard time figuring out how to fix it. Not defending CPJ, but I wish I was 100% confident that us running a spread or pro-style offense would bring in kicking talent, offensive playermakers, and defensive behemoths equal to Clemson, Miami, UGA so we can compete for National Titles.
Folks think that the magical fairy dust from the hopeful crowd will solve all the problems.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
do you really think the coaches tell them to break down in properly? He obviously pointed out the fact is that the players did not do what they were coached to do.
How is that not obvious to everybody? That question is facetious I know the reason why.

Just curious...do you think Saban or Dabo have players that go out on the field and fail to do as instructed. by their position coaches? Yes they have great athletes. But apparently they are coachable as well. Or maybe your post was sarcasm and I failed to recognize it. If the players don't take to coaching and you play them anyways it sounds like the prisoners are running the prison.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Just curious...do you think Saban or Dabo have players that go out on the field and fail to do as instructed. by their position coaches? Yes they have great athletes. But apparently they are coachable as well. Or maybe your post was sarcasm and I failed to recognize it. If the players don't take to coaching and you play them anyways it sounds like the prisoners are running the prison.

Well, Clemson and Alabama are much deeper than we are with highly ranked players. Five star player A isn’t doing his job, put in five star player B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I already wrote to tStan after last year. But you know it all I’m sure. Also, I’m sure Paul would get my letter and frame it. Really take it to heart, ya know? Much more effective than being in person and asking a honest question holding him to his word about when he would retire. Seems more effective to me.
Make sure to come to the live call in show on the 17th. The Monday evening before the Clemson game.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Given the mental mistakes this team has consistedly made the past few years one (or both) of the following has to be true:

1. Our players are not smarter than every other schools (as is claimed by our fans as nauseum)
2. Our coaches are not doing a good job of instructing our players.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No he is. When these lbs made Barnett look like Cam Newton it's hard to say they're good.

Pretty bad effort all the way around. Damn, you would think 600 yards in total offense and 38 points would be enough, more than enough. Incidentally, no offense to the Bulls but I don't think they are really all that great but they are definitely better than we are with more speed and better athletes especially on the defensive line. Sadly, beating Georgia Tech right now is not the feather in anyone's cap that it used to be.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well, Clemson and Alabama are much deeper than we are with highly ranked players. Five star player A isn’t doing his job, put in five star player B.

In our case, if our 3 star kid isn't doing his job, i'd much rather go with a 2 star who follows instruction. What difference does it make what the kid's recruiting ranking was if he doesn't take to coaching? If all your kids are not following instructions, then you are really not coaching them. Not everyone who has the job title of "teacher" is actually good at teaching.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We don’t have athletes? Really? C’mon man. I know your upset but you just insulted me, the program, and the entire school. All your post says to me is we need some real fans.

"don't have athletes"? Hmm...well we don't have difference makers that is for sure. If we have lost Kirvonte, it will be very hard to right the ship. I watched two full games after ours and neither of them had a runback on a kick off. Just saying the proof is in the pudding and the pudding seems to indicate that mediocre recruiting year after year yields what we saw today especially on defense.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
If you are going to bring in a "recruiting" HC then you are going to have to deal with the issues with the Hill before any legit recruiting coach will come. The 2 are pretty tightly linked.

You also have to look at CPJ's contract and make sure we don't Hewitt ourselves at the time we are trying to hire his replacement. FWIW I seem to recall it is after next year he is "vulnerable". But can't remember for sure and too lazy to look it up right now.

Biggest thing though is I really am not looking forward to a whole season of Fire CPJ/Keep CPJ while they are still playing. PIA when Gailey was here and not what I want to have to put up with now. End of the year make a decision - no one - Stansbury or anyone else - is going to fire him during the season so getting really vociferous about it is wee weeing into a fan.
What exactly does the “hill” do to hurt our recruiting? Honest question... I just don’t see how we get out recruited by Duke every year

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
In our case, if our 3 star kid isn't doing his job, i'd much rather go with a 2 star who follows instruction. What difference does it make what the kid's recruiting ranking was if he doesn't take to coaching? If all your kids are not following instructions, then you are really not coaching them. Not everyone who has the job title of "teacher" is actually good at teaching.

My point was they could likely switch to someone coachable without losing talent during the switch. Maybe we can do that but maybe we can’t. In other words, what you’d really prefer is to replace your non-coachable five star with a coachable five star.