USF Postgame Discussion

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
We created a bunch of our own problems on Saturday but it is hard to quantify how much the poor officiating may have cost us. The Bulls were the second most penalized team in college football last year but if you look at the stat sheet it looks like they ran a clean game against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squints

Helluva Engineer
(2) To a team that won 10 games last year, finished ranked, and will likely be ranked again in a couple of weeks;

I think this undersells them actually. Including Saturday's game, USF is 31-9 since 2015 winning 30 of their last 36. They've won 6 of their last 7 vs Power 5 teams. They've finished ranked in top 25 each of the last two seasons and have a real good coaching staff. They're a solid program and have been for a while. Not "middling" as someone else said in this thread. They could be the third or fourth best team on our schedule this year. I was shocked we were road favorites going into that game.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
from AJC - Self inflicted wounds...
... the front end, players were getting out of their gaps. Players trying to penetrate the offensive line were going too far away from their position, opening up creases for quarterback Blake Barnett to escape through for scrambles. Other times, players watched the ball rather than play their assignment, falling for ball fakes. Sometimes, players weren’t receiving the play calls signaled in from the sideline correctly.

Defensive end Anree Saint-Amour described an angst that was causing players to try to make plays by going beyond their assignment.

“It’s like, ‘Oh, I’ve got to do this, I’ve got to do that,’ and when you try to get more, you can get caught,” he said.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Our guys just have trouble closing the deal. It's been that way for a while. Every aspect of our team failed to get it done when the game was on the line. This has now become a character trait for our program. Most games are won or lost on a few plays. When those plays come up in a game, we pretty consistently fail to make them. I think you have to recognize this, examine it and find a way to change it. It may very well take a coaching change to fix it. I would start with the team leaders. If they can not get things going in the right direction, change the leadership. If that doesn't work, change the coaching staff.

We have 10 games left to play regardless of whatever else happens. We can win most of them, just like we could have won today. Something has to change on the field or we are in for another losing season.

Go Jackets!

Dodd's teams could make those crucial plays....called Dodd Luck. I agree a few plays make the difference and we need something to make that happen....players/coaches/leadership/pixie dust/ or?

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
You can legitimately question the results of the recruiting, but at least he's giving out scholarships trying. I will say that there are a lot of teams that don't have kickers that consistently kick it into the endzone. That shouldn't mean that you automatically give up a huge return. Yesterday was all about alignment and responsibilities of the coverage team. The kicks weren't particularly awful.
Concur....that first kick was great. Right up against the sideline at the 1 yard line. Typically a kick like that gets returned to about the 15 and that's it. I was surprised the guy fielded it at all - he almost stepped out of bounds when catching it.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Concur....that first kick was great. Right up against the sideline at the 1 yard line. Typically a kick like that gets returned to about the 15 and that's it. I was surprised the guy fielded it at all - he almost stepped out of bounds when catching it.
Agreed, from behind the GT sideline I thought he'd let it go to see if it would go out of bounds. Sure, it'd be nice to kick it out of the back of the EZ every time, but the kicks weren't atrocious from what I remember, just gotta keep them inside the 30 on returns from now on and that'd be a win.