USF Postgame Discussion

With the exception of 2014, our teams have lacked confidence for many, many years. There was great chemistry in 2014 and it showed on the field. We must come up with a way to be confident and get some swagger, even if it isn’t justified right now. It’s hard to beat the other team when you doubt yourself. I dream of a day when we beat the mutts and don’t act like we just won the Super Bowl when it’s over.

I think the first step in getting some swagger is turning off the social media. Taking some of the things to heart that have been posted here would make an average person want to quit. Before you trash this team, ask yourself about your own super powers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny thing about that 2014 year, if we don't make that last minute play against Georgia Southern we lose. Then what.......

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
It's not a one year fix and the defense will still likely be an issue for a few years after until we get both better players on that side, and better players on the practice squad who are coached in a way that can actually prepare them. But you rarely make a coaching change just to be better the following year.

Would it really be better players or just 2 and 3 star players that come from spread HS offenses? I think it is more likely that it is just different players, not better.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I know, that’s why I said it?

I was being sarcastic. I think tactics like that is a large part of what is wrong with this country. People being internet mobs and warriors is cowardly.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I firmly believe that USF is better than UNC, Duke, Pitt, UVA, and Bowling Green. That and we played pretty bad today. Just so disappointed. This loss hit me hard. Reminds me of Tennessee game last year.

You may be right. But my guess is that the BEST we'll do against those 5 is 3-2.

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
Would it really be better players or just 2 and 3 star players that come from spread HS offenses? I think it is more likely that it is just different players, not better.
Our issue is our freshman are better than the upper classmen who for whatever reason play over them in some cases (BM.....)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I sorry but it seems 90% if the time you want him gone.

I want him gone 100% of the time, and have since about 2013 after it became painfully obvious he was more intent on proving his system could work instead of trying to adjust it to the needs we needed. We've missed two bowl games in the last 3 years, and finished 5th in our division the third.

A better recruiting HC would bring in better players. I don't know why people think we've somehow peaked in our recruiting and we absolutely can't do better. Johnson isn't a strong recruiter and neither was Gailey. We haven't really tried a recruiting focused HC in forever. We need a coach to cover for our weakness not one who has the same ones. And getting different players would help if that means we actually have pass oriented OLmen, QBs, and TEs, on our practice squad.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
PJ is done. I am tired of watching his crappily prepared teams lose.

Having said that, blaming him for putting in Taquon is idiotic. TQ came in and converted a 3rd and 9 and then proceeded to take us down and put the team in a position to score. Qua fumbled it away. Defense caved.

You are correct about TM.

Putting in Taquan, or leaving Tobias in is the biggest red herring that has happened in this program in a long time. And we have been wading in that pool for quite a while.

There are problems that are consistently ignored, or made excuses for.

Seems like many of the administration at GT simply care for their paychecks and do t think anyone has a right to question them. They don’t give a crap about the kids or the program.

Dodd, Ross, Bryant, Bowden, Dabo, Royal, Jordan, Graves, Broyles, Dickey, Russell, hell, even Dooley would not be referencing their players like this guy is.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
Our issue is our freshman are better than the upper classmen who for whatever reason play over them in some cases (BM.....)

Just curious (and not being argumentative), how many underclassmen do you think are not getting their fair share? I agree the BM's athleticism is hard to watch. Covering Clemson backs out of the backfield will be....interesting for him.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I was being sarcastic. I think tactics like that is a large part of what is wrong with this country. People being internet mobs and warriors is cowardly.

I would say it to his face. If I could go to coach’s show I would ask it directly. I don’t care if Paul gets a taste of his own medicine, that he normally gives to media when they ask him anything truthful that makes him look bad.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
A better recruiting HC would bring in better players. I don't know why people think we've somehow peaked in our recruiting and we absolutely can't do better. Johnson isn't a strong recruiter and neither was Gailey. We haven't really tried a recruiting focused HC in forever. We need a coach to cover for our weakness not one who has the same ones. And getting different players would help if that means we actually have pass oriented OLmen, QBs, and TEs, on our practice squad.

I agree with this, and have for a long time. Every time you mention it on this board, though, you'll get arguments about lack of money, difficult admissions standards, etc. Not that those aren't obstacles, but a coach who is a strong recruiter can do much better than we've done in the last 10-15 years.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
guess we could do like uga and allabama and start the players out at $50k if they don't start in 2 years cut them.

Ok by me, but I want documented evidence of this. Show me the proof.

Back during the Danny Ford days, a freaking NCAA investigator sat in one of our parking lots in Tucker when a Clemson coach met a kid from tucker high school. I saw it go on.

Give me the evidence, not the whining.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I would say it to his face. If I could go to coach’s show I would ask it directly. I don’t care if Paul gets a taste of his own medicine, that he normally gives to media when they ask him anything truthful that makes him look bad.

You ever heard of a letter and a stamp? Try sending a letter to TStan? Seriously. Most sane people don’t pay attention to people that call them out through social media or in public.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree with this, and have for a long time. Every time you mention it on this board, though, you'll get arguments about lack of money, difficult admissions standards, etc. Not that those aren't obstacles, but a coach who is a strong recruiter can do much better than we've done in the last 10-15 years.

I don't disagree with this. A rah-rah recruiter would be a breath of fresh air, maybe. Just curious, who are 4-5 coaching options that would fit this description and come to Tech? (realistic options)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Maybe at the end of the season it will be time for a change - most coaches tend to reach an end point at a school, maybe this year is the end point for CPJ. But I won't make that decision for myself until the end of the season - have to see how it plays out.

Dairyland, as an Appleton native, On Wisconsin.

Ten years is a great run for any coach.