USF Postgame Discussion

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
He looks pissed , and he should be ! We will see if anything changes next week. Another away game , may very well be raining. He said it , " when you have the chance , you've got to make plays ". Looks like we're still hungover from last year .....waiting for something bad to happen, playing tight when we need to play with confidence. LEADERSHIP is lacking !!

With the exception of 2014, our teams have lacked confidence for many, many years. There was great chemistry in 2014 and it showed on the field. We must come up with a way to be confident and get some swagger, even if it isn’t justified right now. It’s hard to beat the other team when you doubt yourself. I dream of a day when we beat the mutts and don’t act like we just won the Super Bowl when it’s over.

I think the first step in getting some swagger is turning off the social media. Taking some of the things to heart that have been posted here would make an average person want to quit. Before you trash this team, ask yourself about your own super powers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The lack of talent upfront on DEF (224 yds on ground and no rush) is the a result of poor recruiting --and it is still happening.See how many DBs are on scholly and committed for next yr--18 I believe.How many DLs? Not enough.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
I posted this elsewhere, but...

IF CPJ moves on after this year and we bring in a new staff, how does that fix the defense? The offense will probably be less efficient and control the ball less. So, will a new DC take the same players and do more? Coach NW didn't get stupid overnight. He knows a little about defense.

Is it that great defensive players don't want to practice against the TO? Get rid of the TO and the 4 and 5 star defensive guys will start coming to Tech?

I just have a hard time figuring out how to fix it. Not defending CPJ, but I wish I was 100% confident that us running a spread or pro-style offense would bring in kicking talent, offensive playermakers, and defensive behemoths equal to Clemson, Miami, UGA so we can compete for National Titles.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I think some must overestimate some of our guys. I think most coordinators will try to put BM in space. Last year, they found ways to move Austin into the box and Brant out of it. We have to coordinate around some of these things, or change personnel.

Hopefully getting Kenny back will help the line. There were a few really bad busts in pass blocking.

Also, wonder if the "run to the ball" stuff has something to do with never playing the zone read like it's an option.

Tobias looked good. Not sure pulling him "lost the game" but he can help us.
" I THINK SOME MUST OVERESTIMATE SOME OF OUR GUYS " ........Ya' think ??

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Get a grip folks, we gave up 2 KO returns for TDs to one of the fastest guys in the country. We roll up huge numbers and point on offense.

Now I feel much better. Looking forward to seeing that guy return 2 or 3 kickoffs for TDs against everyone else on their schedule!

I posted this elsewhere, but...

IF CPJ moves on after this year and we bring in a new staff, how does that fix the defense? The offense will probably be less efficient and control the ball less. So, will a new DC take the same players and do more? Coach NW didn't get stupid overnight. He knows a little about defense.

Is it that great defensive players don't want to practice against the TO? Get rid of the TO and the 4 and 5 star defensive guys will start coming to Tech?

I just have a hard time figuring out how to fix it. Not defending CPJ, but I wish I was 100% confident that us running a spread or pro-style offense would bring in kicking talent, offensive playermakers, and defensive behemoths equal to Clemson, Miami, UGA so we can compete for National Titles.

LOL, we have never had a 5 star defender in the history of Tech football.. The offense has nothing to do with it. Defensive players, particularly lineman, can't get into Tech, and if they could, why would you go to a school where you actually had to study, if your plans are for the NFL. Go to UGA or Bama.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

It's not a one year fix and the defense will still likely be an issue for a few years after until we get both better players on that side, and better players on the practice squad who are coached in a way that can actually prepare them. But you rarely make a coaching change just to be better the following year.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
LOL, we have never had a 5 star defender in the history of Tech football.. The offense has nothing to do with it. Defensive players, particularly lineman, can't get into Tech, and if they could, why would you go to a school where you actually had to study, if your plans are for the NFL. Go to UGA or Bama.

That's my point. I don't know how to "fix it".

Just curious, are defensive linemen dumber that d-backs?