USF Postgame Discussion

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure we will ever beat Uga again!
You're right, we will never beat ugag again, never. We will lose every game for all eternity. Give me a break man. You're so negative. I'm upset too, but I can tell you're a ugag fan trying to provoke people. When you just tell everyone in the swarm chat they are not "tough", it's not funny after a while, doggy. I haven't seen you say anything positive. Now go back to dwag rant and be a good boy.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There are roughly 125 FBS programs and 25 elite programs. Tech has the same issue as 80% of schools ... find and development talent that fits your scheme.

And we can’t.
And yet half the teams go to bowls every year and we haven’t for two out of the past three.

We are not very good right now, everyone needs to stop sugar coating it and expect better.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
If the program wanted to make a hire that would keep a similar offensive style (ground game) but diversify it a little they could hire Willie Fritz and Bob Debesse... Both know the area, both run the option, but both run a version of it that is more like Nebraska from the 90's and early 2000's... A lot of shotgun, more passing.. Its basically a more diverse option offense that attracts someone who can throw better. Way more formations, different looks, lots of shotgun, etc.

I still maintain offense isn't the problem... but if you wanted to bring some life back to the program you could do that. Then you give Woody more time to coach defense and see what happens. Or you immediately hire some new defensive coordinator and hope for the best.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
You ever heard of a letter and a stamp? Try sending a letter to TStan? Seriously. Most sane people don’t pay attention to people that call them out through social media or in public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear @GT_B, see above. Not a flip-flopper. But I agree that we need to agree to disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
It's just really frustrating seeing us make so many fundamental errors over and over and over again year after year. People being caught way out of position, horrible angles we take in pursuit, getting tricked on every little bit of misdirection, terribly timed game crippling turnovers. Sure everyone makes mistakes but we just seem to do the same ones so consistently I don't see how you can't start questioning our coaching staff and preparedness.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I posted this elsewhere, but...

IF CPJ moves on after this year and we bring in a new staff, how does that fix the defense? The offense will probably be less efficient and control the ball less. So, will a new DC take the same players and do more? Coach NW didn't get stupid overnight. He knows a little about defense.

Is it that great defensive players don't want to practice against the TO? Get rid of the TO and the 4 and 5 star defensive guys will start coming to Tech?

I just have a hard time figuring out how to fix it. Not defending CPJ, but I wish I was 100% confident that us running a spread or pro-style offense would bring in kicking talent, offensive playermakers, and defensive behemoths equal to Clemson, Miami, UGA so we can compete for National Titles.

The idea that practicing against the TO a lot , not seeing the 4 WR sets,and not having a quality passer and top fast WRs to practice against -----certainly are not factors in our DEf's. results. hmmm

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
The idea that practicing against the TO a lot , not seeing the 4 WR sets,and not having a quality passer and top fast WRs to practice against -----certainly are not factors in our DEf's. results. hmmm

This. The crap defense is on PJ. Clearly the offense impacts it. We also have a bunch of guys who can't make a play when they face a little adversity.

You're right, we will never beat ugag again, never. We will lose every game for all eternity. Give me a break man. You're so negative. I'm upset too, but I can tell you're a ugag fan trying to provoke people. When you just tell everyone in the swarm chat they are not "tough", it's not funny after a while, doggy. I haven't seen you say anything positive. Now go back to dwag rant and be a good boy.
Roof roof! See that number three ranking. Tech hasn't been ranked that high in how long ? 28 years

Cam

Helluva Engineer
If anyone is familiar with Kirk Ferentz's 10-year Theory, it's that folks like their head coach 10% less each season. If you last to the 10-year mark, you get a full reset. With CPJ, it seems like he didn't hit that reset button. I am not giving up on the season and think we can continue to get better (and possibly win the Coastal). We didn't look stellar to start out 2014 either. But next week might be a make or break game for CPJ's tenure at GT.

For anyone calling for CPJ's head, a new coach isn't going to correct the fundamental issues with GT (i.e. spending and academic rigor/lack of majors). I almost wonder if CPJ's early success hurt him in the long run, creating donors who thought we could compete on a low budget (consistently bottom 10 among Power 5 with Oregon State, Washington State, and Purdue). If we end up firing CPJ, we put ourselves even deeper into a financial hole. Would you be comfortable dipping into the 2020 Initiative's current $40 million funds to buy out his contract and get a decent coach? Who do you hire that is as good or better than CPJ where we won't be outbid by another team? The only way we step up as a program whether with or without CPJ is by putting the money into it.

In the case of CPJ being fired, I don't see us going with another flexbone coach. Our realistic choices, in my opinion, would be (in no particular order) Scott Satterfield (App State HC), Mike Norvell (Memphis HC), and possibly Neal Brown (Troy HC). Also throwing out wildcards like Charlie Strong (forgot where he coaches...) and Mark Helfrich (Chicago Bears OC, formerly Oregon HC). But there's a lot of football to be played before we start seriously talking about this. CPJ can save his job with a 7-win season, I think, provided our current financial debt to Gregory and Hewitt lasts one more year.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If anyone is familiar with Kirk Ferentz's 10-year Theory, it's that folks like their head coach 10% less each season. If you last to the 10-year mark, you get a full reset. With CPJ, it seems like he didn't hit that reset button. I am not giving up on the season and think we can continue to get better (and possibly win the Coastal). We didn't look stellar to start out 2014 either. But next week might be a make or break game for CPJ's tenure at GT.

For anyone calling for CPJ's head, a new coach isn't going to correct the fundamental issues with GT (i.e. spending and academic rigor/lack of majors). I almost wonder if CPJ's early success hurt him in the long run, creating donors who thought we could compete on a low budget (consistently bottom 10 among Power 5 with Oregon State, Washington State, and Purdue). If we end up firing CPJ, we put ourselves even deeper into a financial hole. Would you be comfortable dipping into the 2020 Initiative's current $40 million funds to buy out his contract and get a decent coach? Who do you hire that is as good or better than CPJ where we won't be outbid by another team? The only way we step up as a program whether with or without CPJ is by putting the money into it.

In the case of CPJ being fired, I don't see us going with another flexbone coach. Our realistic choices, in my opinion, would be (in no particular order) Scott Satterfield (App State HC), Mike Norvell (Memphis HC), and possibly Neal Brown (Troy HC). Also throwing out wildcards like Charlie Strong (forgot where he coaches...) and Mark Helfrich (Chicago Bears OC, formerly Oregon HC). But there's a lot of football to be played before we start seriously talking about this. CPJ can save his job with a 7-win season, I think, provided our current financial debt to Gregory and Hewitt lasts one more year.
Jacksonville State head coach John Grass and James Madison head coach Mike Houston need to be on your list;)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
There are roughly 125 FBS programs and 25 elite programs. Tech has the same issue as 80% of schools ... find and development talent that fits your scheme.

And we can’t.
I sorry if you think the scheme is the only problem , recruiting better players helps but they have to want to come to Tech. How many players from Clemson VT NC State or Miami could pass at Tech or really be willing to put that work in to passing?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Realistically, you can’t fire him. But enthusiasm will die until we make a change.

I sorry if you think the scheme is the only problem , recruiting better players helps but they have to want to come to Tech. How many players from Clemson VT NC State or Miami could pass at Tech or really be willing to put that work in to passing?
You would be surprised. I'm over this pathetic excuse. Nobody that is talented wants to play in this gimmick system.