USF Postgame Discussion

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
They are known for taking deep shots down field. Playing them off the ball so they could keep the wr in front of them. That’s why the short passing game and the run was so effective. It was important for the linebackers and safeties to be able to play and tackle well in space and the linebackers failed.

I think some must overestimate some of our guys. I think most coordinators will try to put BM in space. Last year, they found ways to move Austin into the box and Brant out of it. We have to coordinate around some of these things, or change personnel.

Hopefully getting Kenny back will help the line. There were a few really bad busts in pass blocking.

Also, wonder if the "run to the ball" stuff has something to do with never playing the zone read like it's an option.

Tobias looked good. Not sure pulling him "lost the game" but he can help us.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
If we lose to Pitt we might as well throw this season in the bag and make this a rebuilding year. If not, we still probably don’t make a bowl then have to rebuild next year.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
PJ is done. I am tired of watching his crappily prepared teams lose.

Having said that, blaming him for putting in Taquon is idiotic. TQ came in and converted a 3rd and 9 and then proceeded to take us down and put the team in a position to score. Qua fumbled it away. Defense caved.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If we lose to Pitt we might as well throw this season in the bag and make this a rebuilding year. If not, we still probably don’t make a bowl then have to rebuild next year.

When has CPJ shown he could rebuild?

Hell, he could have the resources of Mr.Blank & Mr Marcus and he could not rebuild a screen door.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
They might have to do what Army does and just take the air out of the ball. Snap it on offense with 1 second left on the clock and just play keepaway. In the case of todays game, they can't stop the offense.

The defense is a total liability.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We had a good D for years before he came here. Your excuse as to why Johnson can't produce a good D doesn't hold. Same with ST. They are challenges, not insurmountable mountains that prevent any kind of progress. What I want as head coach is an actual head coach. Not just an OC who is a HC because he doesn't want to answer to someone. As far as names, Willie Fritz would be a good choice that we could almost certainly get. Otherwise I'd rather take a chacne on a good assistant than continue to stagnate under Johnson. It's been 11 years. We aren't going forward with him at the helm. He just refuses to adapt.
Ok so you want a head coach that is 9-16 at Tulane. Great pick ! But I don't remember saying any thing about the defensive coach. This is his first year. Now if you think you can get Tech to back off their restrictions and not having classes that players miss part of practice and having easy classes like auburn Clemson uga and alabama I don't see anyone being able to bring in all 4 and 5 stars players. Not having to take classes like calculus and having math class like other football schools how to add 1+1 and any answer is right, then it not going to get better , once in awhile yes but not all the time.

These post game interviews need to go. They never interviewed the Bear after a game. CPJ is angry, as he should be. Yes, he can say it is all coaching, and we would all then say what? Get rid of the Coach. Get a grip folks, we gave up 2 KO returns for TDs to one of the fastest guys in the country. We roll up huge numbers and point on offense. And yes at the end the defense gave out. They had 5 out of 6 stops in the first half by the way.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Ok so you want a head coach that is 9-16 at Tulane. Great pick ! But I don't remember saying any thing about the defensive coach. This is his first year. Now if you think you can get Tech to back off their restrictions and not having classes that players miss part of practice and having easy classes like auburn Clemson uga and alabama I don't see anyone being able to bring in all 4 and 5 stars players. Not having to take classes like calculus and having math class like other football schools how to add 1+1 and any answer is right, then it not going to get better , once in awhile yes but not all the time.

Yeah, we get it. You'll blame those under Johnson for not producing, and those above him for not giving him enough. But nothing will fall on the head coach. He's the best we can do by definition to you.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The presser doesn’t bother me. He is embarrassed by the way we played. I hear a lot of frustration from him. I would be more worried if he wasn’t pissed.

This is kinda how I think of it... If someone had stuck a microphone in my face at my job on Tuesday a lot of folks would have wanted to fire me. By Friday the same folks would have been saying what a great success my project was. People are fickle (me included) and their opinions swing wildly depending on short term success or failure.

Give Nate some time he is a good coach.

Last edited: