USF Postgame Discussion

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
IIRC, we don't have a special teams coach.
Perhaps not but it has to be someone’s responsibility...and they have yet to figure out how to teach kids to stay in their lane...or how to teach the kicker how to kick it away from someone your team can’t stop! This has been an issue for many years ; we were just fortunate with an awesome kicker before. If you can’t stop them and can’t kick it consistently through the end zone, then you must ground it, pooch it, or kick it out of bounds! Twice is a coaching error!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe at the end of the season it will be time for a change - most coaches tend to reach an end point at a school, maybe this year is the end point for CPJ. But I won't make that decision for myself until the end of the season - have to see how it plays out.

Dairyland, as an Appleton native, On Wisconsin.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
USF was never a patsy. We should beat them 3 out of 4 times imo. But we can’t beat decent teams when giving away so many gifts during the game.

Our D is marginally better this year imo. Losing Carpenter hurt.

Our pass rush is not at all better and maybe even worse than last year. If you are extremely upset by our D, chances are you extremely over rated our talent.....again.

Our O played well overall. Turnovers killed what would have been a dominant performance by that unit. TM had a very good game outside of his pick. When we go run n shoot....we have to pass block better. This is a legit gripe of our scheme.

The troubling thing is how we again are finding ways to lose in every phase. Kickoff returns for TDs against us. An all conference talent punter shanking one of two punts. A fumble as we are likely about to score and stretch the lead to a two score lead again. Extending drives ofbthe opponent with penalties.

We are finding ways to lose again this year instead of finding ways to win. Some of that is talent. Some of it is mental. And it does come down to the small things.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Flew down and went to the game. Knew when we had the 10 point lead, was too much time left and would give it up. We looked slow, missed 400 tackles, still playing 15 yards off of slot receiver when all they do is run quick screens. No improvement, no changes, wake me up when something changes.

I wish Paul would resign/retire, but he won’t give up that paycheck.

They are known for taking deep shots down field. Playing them off the ball so they could keep the wr in front of them. That’s why the short passing game and the run was so effective. It was important for the linebackers and safeties to be able to play and tackle well in space and the linebackers failed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Posted for the first time in a long time after the Alcorn State game and prior to that had not visited this site in many many months. Not that it matters but I just found that my interest had waned.

This is not critical analysis but it is how I feel. Watching Tech in tight game almost always feels like we are just hanging on by our finger nails. Rather than having confidence that Tech will pull it out I find myself anticipating how we are going to blow the game. Usually, when I feel that way, we do blow the game.

After last week I felt like I was seeing a replay of the previous season. Tech may in fact learn from this game and get better. I sure hope so. But I have no doubts that it will be a difficult and steep learning curve and even then it may not salvage the season. Last year I felt like Tech needed some things to happen right for them. Winning the Tennessee game and the Miami game probably would have turned the whole season around for them. But since that didn't happen all they were left with was no momentum, no optimism and an average team trying to climb out of a hole.

If anyone understands what I am trying to say then you will understand what I mean when I say that this year we almost need good fortune or a lucky break to get us though some of our games so that this team can recoup and build some cohesion. It feels like we are still in learning mode as a team and when you have to play almost a perfect game to win that means any breakdown or mistake can kill you.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps not but it has to be someone’s responsibility...and they have yet to figure out how to teach kids to stay in their lane...or how to teach the kicker how to kick it away from someone your team can’t stop! This has been an issue for many years ; we were just fortunate with an awesome kicker before. If you can’t stop them and can’t kick it consistently through the end zone, then you must ground it, pooch it, or kick it out of bounds! Twice is a coaching error!

Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree with you. It just seems like ST is an afterthought with CPJ, except when we get embarassed, and then he looks for someone to blame.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
They are known for taking deep shots down field. Playing them off the ball so they could keep the wr in front of them. That’s why the short passing game and the run was so effective. It was important for the linebackers and safeties to be able to play and tackle well in space and the linebackers failed.

If it’s 3rd and 4 and Oliver is lined up 12 yards away from the LOS with no one covering the receiver that is giving up a free first down. Sorry just don’t agree with you. One day you have to play man coverage and get up to the LOS.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yes so ? He can only do so much, lets get to the point you do you want here to be the head coach, and how much are you willing to give to Tech to hire him ?

Stech...he just isn't getting things done. We are a bad football team...look at the TO's, penalties and ST's play. maybe his hands are tied in recruiting but I think you can and should hold him responsible for these things. You might say it's early season but year over year we just shoot ourselves in the foot time and time again. It's a recurring theme....when we get a double digit lead, his teams fold like a Kmart tent in a storm. Don't know why they do but I have enough data to believe iiwii. I didn't think this game was against a patsy but you simply can't afford to lose these types of games and expect to have a good season. I may be wrong, we (mathematically) could run the table but you are looking at a 6 win team this year. I'm not sure who is left on the table that will have talent not equivalent to USF's excluding BG and possibly Uva.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer

He looks pissed , and he should be ! We will see if anything changes next week. Another away game , may very well be raining. He said it , " when you have the chance , you've got to make plays ". Looks like we're still hungover from last year .....waiting for something bad to happen, playing tight when we need to play with confidence. LEADERSHIP is lacking !!

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Over 600 yards of offense... 7.5 yards per rush. Nearly 200 passing yards on 50% completions. Tech only had to punt twice the entire game. Won time of possession.

Special teams gives up 14 points, and the defense cant get any stops. There just isnt any speed out there on defense.

You can add this game to games like Tennessee from last year where its unbelievable they cant win, and its entirely because of the defense.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Stech...he just isn't getting things done. We are a bad football team...look at the TO's, penalties and ST's play. maybe his hands are tied in recruiting but I think you can and should hold him responsible for these things. You might say it's early season but year over year we just shoot ourselves in the foot time and time again. It's a recurring theme....when we get a double digit lead, his teams fold like a Kmart tent in a storm. Don't know why they do but I have enough data to believe iiwii. I didn't think this game was against a patsy but you simply can't afford to lose these types of games and expect to have a good season. I may be wrong, we (mathematically) could run the table but you are looking at a 6 win team this year. I'm not sure who is left on the table that will have talent not equivalent to USF's excluding BG and possibly Uva.
Well, you just jinxed the UVA game ....:mad:

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
He looks pissed , and he should be ! We will see if anything changes next week. Another away game , may very well be raining. H said it , " when you have the chance , you've got to make plays ". Looks like we're still hungover from last year .....waiting for something bad to happen, playing tight when we need to play with confidence. LEADERSHIP is lacking !!

His snarky comment at about the 2:30 mark says he may know he’s done.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Holy **** this guy blaming everybody but himself and taking obnoxious sips of Gatorade in between.

**** right off PJ.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone who has twitter, can you flood the coach call in show with, “Paul, when are you going to resign?” Or, Tstan...you’re move”