USF Postgame Discussion

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The defense was my biggest disappointment. No more quarterback pressure than last year. But the thing is the USF offense badly out athleted our defense. They were faster, quicker, and stronger. Many times we had people in position to make a play but the offensive guy beat them. As demoralizing as the game was, I want to see how South Florida looks against some other teams. If it turns out they don't light up other teams, then we really suck on defense. But I suspect they will.

I see a lot of tough, close games in our future. I don't like our chances at a good record, but if you like a lot of drama in your football, we might be fun to watch.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I guess I'm just confused as to why we're still playing 8 to TWELVE yards off the ball with defensive backs. I was under the impression that this was definitely going to change.

Our Defense is a wet paper bag. Where is all the blitzing and stunting? Schematically we need to just go the Tenuta route and roll the dice, I was under the impression that was exactly what was going to happen.

Special teams continues to be one of the worst in P5, if not the worst.

Our O-Line simply cannot pass protect, I don't get it. It's been a decade and it's still a dumpster fire with our line trying to pass block.

All that being said, the season isn't lost. If we catch some breaks we can contend for the Coastal as long as we see serious schematic changes. But at this point what makes anyone believe that we will change anything?

All in all I'm just super confused at what it is we're doing as a program. I don't see us adapting or changing a damn thing.

Did I mention I'm confused?

Primarily....because we do not have anything approaching a legit pass rush. And when we blitz even a only decently mobile QB runs all over us.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Flew down and went to the game. Knew when we had the 10 point lead, was too much time left and would give it up. We looked slow, missed 400 tackles, still playing 15 yards off of slot receiver when all they do is run quick screens. No improvement, no changes, wake me up when something changes.

I wish Paul would resign/retire, but he won’t give up that paycheck.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
So infuriated. I left my post game comment on another thread that should’ve been on this one.
It was pathetic today and quite infuriating. Nothing has changed.

Tobias looked way smoother than TQM and made more instinctive reads imo. Dumbass coaching decision to take him out. The team seemed to gel differently with him under center.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was looking for more pressure from the D but it seemed SF spread things out enough to take the OLBs off the edge. We ended up with the 2 ILBs still there but no ability to play games off the edge.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
What im confused about is we kicked directly too them in the 2nd half and had no problems. Why was the kickoff coverage so bad in the 1st half?

herb

Helluva Engineer
Did I see it wrong on the 4th down play at the end. They had trips left split way out and we only had 2 dbs there. We had to know what was coming with that formation.

What im confused about is we kicked directly too them in the 2nd half and had no problems. Why was the kickoff coverage so bad in the 1st half?

Because the kicks that were returned had little hang time. He later started kicking them higher. Also the kid is one of the fastest guys in America. Headed for the Olympics.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
So infuriated. I left my post game comment on another thread that should’ve been on this one.
It was pathetic today and quite infuriating. Nothing has changed.

Tobias looked way smoother than TQM and made more instinctive reads imo. Dumbass coaching decision to take him out. The team seemed to gel differently with him under center.

Just messing with you but maybe you shouldn’t admit your posting mistake as you are critical of someone else, hummmm

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Flew down and went to the game. Knew when we had the 10 point lead, was too much time left and would give it up. We looked slow, missed 400 tackles, still playing 15 yards off of slot receiver when all they do is run quick screens. No improvement, no changes, wake me up when something changes.

I wish Paul would resign/retire, but he won’t give up that paycheck.
Why would he? Why would anyone?

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Because the kicks that were returned had little hang time. He later started kicking them higher. Also the kid is one of the fastest guys in America. Headed for the Olympics.

On the second return the entire right side coverage left their lanes and ended up in the middle of the field.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Everyone had a breaking point for whatever reason. Today was it for me. Until we prove we can win a game with a double digit lead or a game on the road, I’ve lost interest. Call me a ****ty fan but it took me until 2011 to do the same with a Paul Hewitt. I’m at a show and prove spot now. Today was nothing more than last season all over again. Today’s loss could be mentally worse than last years UT game on the team. I’ll continue to watch but my enthusiasm is completely dead.
Exactly. My patience is wearing thin. I can still get excited about watching the Baaadgers, though.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand how we forced Barnett to run but could not adjust his finding wide open areas to gain yards. He beat us with running IMHO not passing. I guess with the threat of passing that left holes for him to run to and through.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yes so ? He can only do so much, lets get to the point you do you want here to be the head coach, and how much are you willing to give to Tech to hire him ?

We had a good D for years before he came here. Your excuse as to why Johnson can't produce a good D doesn't hold. Same with ST. They are challenges, not insurmountable mountains that prevent any kind of progress. What I want as head coach is an actual head coach. Not just an OC who is a HC because he doesn't want to answer to someone. As far as names, Willie Fritz would be a good choice that we could almost certainly get. Otherwise I'd rather take a chacne on a good assistant than continue to stagnate under Johnson. It's been 11 years. We aren't going forward with him at the helm. He just refuses to adapt.