USF Postgame Discussion

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Special teams issues are obvious. And FWIW it wasn't the kicker.
Defense doesn't have the LBs to make this work. Probably not the DL or DBs either.

Offense played reasonably well considering Benson was out - but there were some really "interesting" calls. The one that will stick with me is needing a drive with about 5 minutes to go and changing the whole approach from what had been working with the tight formations and QB runs. Went back to Marshall with spread formations and passing. Had time to go down field the way we had the second half.

Woody found out what he is working with today. Lot of work to do. I have to hope it gets better.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
We get our hopes up that there will be player development : larger, stronger , SMARTER, better technique, better recruiting , blah, blah , blah. But all we get is " missed assignments" , " poor decisions", "ST breakdowns " , " we went over that a lot in practice" , " they didn't show us anything we weren't prepared for " , COACHSPEAK !
Both fanbases were predicting victories and I thought one fanbase was going to get a reality check- guess we did ! When players continue to make the same mistakes year after year without much improvement I blame one of two things : The players aren't listening or , the positional coaches can't teach. Combine that with average talent overall and you get what you saw today.
I suppose we could decide that we don't play well in the rain and also don't play well in the heat and humidity. Waiting for someone to try that excuse. Face it , we got whupped by a middling team again that had more than we could handle in the 4th quarter. Deja vu 2017 - DOOK and UVA.
Oh , by the way, in the 2nd quarter USF missed a wide open pass at the goal - misplayed by our CB - no safety help that I saw, ( deliberately not naming ) or it could have been 56-38

Last edited:

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Special teams issues are obvious. And FWIW it wasn't the kicker.
Defense doesn't have the LBs to make this work. Probably not the DL or DBs either.

Offense played reasonably well considering Benson was out - but there were some really "interesting" calls. The one that will stick with me is needing a drive with about 5 minutes to go and changing the whole approach from what had been working with the tight formations and QB runs. Went back to Marshall with spread formations and passing. Had time to go down field the way we had the second half.

Woody found out what he is working with today. Lot of work to do. I have to hope it gets better.
Yeah I mean King had a great day today. his PATs looked confident instead of making me clench my butt. the coverage team was just as bad as last year but they escaped a lot of heat outside the UVA game last year because there was plenty of other things to be mad about. I wanted to start kicking out of bounds last year and that hasn't changed one bit for me.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Curry was playing a good game till he got tossed actually

Can someone help me out here. When a TD is scored these players get the hell beat out of them by their own teammates, celebrating. But if Curry hits a down back at half speed 2 seconds after he is down how the hell does that warrant an ejection ?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Basically this loss makes next's weeks game at Pitt a must win. Lose at Pitt and the wheels could come off pretty bad after the Clemson game.

This to me was a toss up game going into it. FWIW, Barnett was a former 5* rated HS QB.
This was the type of game we were going to have to win if we are to go bowling this year.
I don't think CPJ can survive three losing seasons in 4 yrs, though depending upon how the contract extension was worked out last year I could see one more year. The way the buyout was set up prior to the extension he would have been owed $1M per yr remaining on his contract after this season - but if they pushed those 2 yrs than I believe we would have to wait another yr before we got to that amount.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I guess I'm just confused as to why we're still playing 8 to TWELVE yards off the ball with defensive backs. I was under the impression that this was definitely going to change.

Our Defense is a wet paper bag. Where is all the blitzing and stunting? Schematically we need to just go the Tenuta route and roll the dice, I was under the impression that was exactly what was going to happen.

Special teams continues to be one of the worst in P5, if not the worst.

Our O-Line simply cannot pass protect, I don't get it. It's been a decade and it's still a dumpster fire with our line trying to pass block.

All that being said, the season isn't lost. If we catch some breaks we can contend for the Coastal as long as we see serious schematic changes. But at this point what makes anyone believe that we will change anything?

All in all I'm just super confused at what it is we're doing as a program. I don't see us adapting or changing a damn thing.

Did I mention I'm confused?
This sums up me to a tee. When you have a losing season 2 out of the last 3 years, you need to be willing to tweak everything, not just the D...and geez the D looked very Roofesque today.

Not many teams can win or even keep it close when you give up 2 TDs on kick returns. Offense was not the issue. 600 yards and 38 points you are supposed to win. Subtract the 14 on special teams and we do. The Searcy fumble really hurt as we were probably headed for another score. I saw where there was a question as to why we put TM back in. It was third and long and we had to pass. He threw a 20 yard completion.

And let's give USF credit. Bartles is a 5 star QB and that team is loaded with fast receivers. Although they dinked and dunked us. Reminded me of us playing Duke. We have some work on defense but all that said, as I told my son, I watched us lose at home to a mediocre BC team in 98 and then we ended up winning 10. Pitt is not USF.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I remember the last games with Gaily , fans chanting fire Gaily at Bobby Dodd. If CPJ doesn't start winning games that used to be winnable , that will be boddy Dodd again soon.
I guess as others have said I'm just confused on why we aren't winning winnable games like we used to with CPJ. I'm just crossing my fingers he figures out what to fix before the Clemson game , I want that to be competitive not a game I'm embarrassed at.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk