UGA Postgame Discussion

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game, so I wasn’t privy to replay, and I certainly don’t want to watch a replay of the game at home, so I’m wondering about the chop block call in the 2nd quarter (I believe) where we had a good run on first down. The official threw the flag late. CPJ was livid. What did tv show?

Replay at the game showed he was inside five yards. Bad call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If it's the one I think it was it wasn't a chop. It was an illegal cut block because the blocker was "coming back" towards the original position of the ball (rule's words). Basically because the blocker arced out and came back it was flagged. IMO depends on how the refs were instructed to interpret what towards the original position of the ball means (which is vague to me).

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Always proud of the Institute and our willingness to even play Division 1 football - we are the ONLY STEM school, except the Academies, that does. I will always wear my GT garb proudly. What I went through at GT to earn that degree means way more than any football game. You cannot let yourselves get into ridiculous discussions with DWAGs, especially their sidewalk fans that have no real other reason to be alive. Go Alabama - crush these wanna-be's.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Replay at the game showed he was inside five yards. Bad call.

See my post, this is the part that he called, right or wrong:

-Players outside the tackle box at the snap ,or any time after the snap, or in motion at the snap may not block below the waist toward the original position of the ball at the snap.

slugboy

Staff member
Or maybe the scandal affected his last recruiting class. He brought in a top 100 players last year and was in it for ta top 5 player in Little. That is far better than anything Johnson has done.

And he lost two assistant coaches he didn’t want to lose. I don’t think bringing Pastner into the football discussion helps, though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

-Players outside the tackle box at the snap ,or any time after the snap, or in motion at the snap may not block below the waist toward the original position of the ball at the snap.

Yes, I think that makes sense. I’ll have to go back and watch. Thanks.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
It was the back judge that threw the flag from 15-20 yards downfield, so if it was the 3 yard rule, I can see why PJ was PO’d.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

But wasnt the blocking player an OL making this part of the rule not applicable? This part of the rule refers to a Wr cracking back and cutting or an in motion TE sealing the edge etc

It was a bad call.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
After a few hours to beat this around

If we aren’t going to win, I’d like us to play well and look like we’re well coached. We looked sloppy on both sides. I know some of that can be from lining up across from a guy who’s 20 pounds heavier and as fast as you are, but it wasn’t a good looking game we played

I don’t expect us to line up the same players that Alabama and Ohio State and Texas line up. That’s not gonna happen outside of miracle years.

Even if we do line up a team of 4*-5* athletes, Auburn just lost 52-21 to Alabama. OSU smacked Michigan hard 62-39. Tennessee is getting creamed by Vandy, and FSU got torched by Florida. Those losing teams have athletic departments we’d kill for.

Losing to your rival sucks, but it’s not just us.

I just want us to get our act together and play good football.

(y)

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Nor does the long term support by supposed fans who refuse to "throw money" at the program.

I did not even think about our football spend being 61 out of 65 in the P5. Talk about a deal killer for a new head coach.

New Coach interview question:

"So let me understand this. You are truly the bottom of the barrel from a spending perspective, Most kids I will not be able to recruit because of the academic issues. What kids I do get in will have to work hard in school and limit how much time I can spend with them. If they can even stay eligible. I will not be able to bring in transfers because none of them will meet the AP requirements. I wont be able to bring in any good assistant coaches due to a lack of money, the fan atmosphere is weak on game-day, The fans donate to the school and not to athletics. You fired a winning coach with the expectations that I will be able to compete with the Clemson's and Georgia's of the world? NOT INTERESTED!!!"

Animal02

Banned
I did not even think about our football spend being 61 out of 65 in the P5. Talk about a deal killer for a new head coach.

"So let me understand this. You are truly the bottom of the barrel from a spending perspective, Most kids I will not be able to recruit because of the academic issues. What kids I do get in will have to work hard in school and limit how much time I can spend with them. If they can even stay eligible. I will not be able to bring in transfers because none of them will meet the AP requirements. I wont be able to bring in any good assistant coaches due to a lack of money, the fan atmosphere is weak on game-day, The fans donate to the school and not to athletics. You fired a winning coach with the expectations that I will be able to compete with the Clemson's and Georgia's of the world? NOT INTERESTED!!!"
But but but Boaty thinks coaches will flock to Tech......and that every thing is CPJ’s fault.

You can't spend the big bucks unless the donors give the big bucks.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

... sums up a good bit of the situation, for sure.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan

Preach!