UGA Postgame Discussion

Because he needs to do more for athletics. Whether people feel their degree is threatened is an issue with them, and because that is still part of his job.

Because he, afaik, has twice had groups of people he hired steal from GT / the taxpayers / and the state.

He has ignored too many students from the state of Ga in favor of foreign students.

He has discriminated against certain student groups.

After 57 years of blindly supporting everything done on North Ave. the days of automatically accepting that which GT sells are over to me.

Results are necessary, and excuses are no longer acceptable.
Other than your valid point about those who stole, I disagree with what you said.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Or maybe the scandal affected his last recruiting class. He brought in a top 100 players last year and was in it for ta top 5 player in Little. That is far better than anything Johnson has done.
That’s possible but Johnson has been close on a lot of difference makers too and closed next to none of them. In the end, recruiting isn’t hand grenades. Close doesn’t do you any good.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
That does not even make the top 10 things a potential new coach will think about if he wants to come here as a negative. If anything it would be a strong positive. It says if you come here we will be patient with you should there be issues. We will give you time to get your system going.

Yes, that is my point.

But all at the expense of GT and the welfare of the program. The individual GT employee, despite anything, becomes more important than the team / school.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Or maybe the scandal affected his last recruiting class. He brought in a top 100 players last year and was in it for ta top 5 player in Little. That is far better than anything Johnson has done.
Oh give me a break. The scandal had nothing to do with the recruiting class. Being Georgia Tech and Georgia Teching DLab certainly did though.

To clear up any questions you may have about moderator actions tonight...
No Personal Attacks.
Do not post personal attacks on other members, our former or current players, recruits, as well as the GT administrative and coaching staff. There are ways to disagree with someone or an idea but still be civil about it in public discourse. We are not like other fans that like to bark at each other. For a better definition of personal attacks, please see ad hominem and no personal attacks.
Did you boot the guy in chat today who was making personal attacks on some of us (myself included). If you didn't, then hopefully somebody did, because he disappeared shortly afterwards.

Deleted member 2897

2nd in division!!!!!!

Not 1st in a lousy division, but 2nd.

Thank you - hilarious. We all needed that.

We can have Christmas now, kids.

6 of the 7 teams are going to a bowl game. More than the Atlantic. More than the SEC East. Tied with the SEC West. More than the Pac12 North. 4 more than the Pac12 South. Tied with the ENTIRE BIG12. More than the Big10 East. More than the Big10 West. 1 less than the ENTIRE American Athletic Conference.

We just don’t have an elite team like Clemson. But we have a lot of teams slightly above average.

slugboy

Staff member
After a few hours to beat this around

If we aren’t going to win, I’d like us to play well and look like we’re well coached. We looked sloppy on both sides. I know some of that can be from lining up across from a guy who’s 20 pounds heavier and as fast as you are, but it wasn’t a good looking game we played

I don’t expect us to line up the same players that Alabama and Ohio State and Texas line up. That’s not gonna happen outside of miracle years.

Even if we do line up a team of 4*-5* athletes, Auburn just lost 52-21 to Alabama. OSU smacked Michigan hard 62-39. Tennessee is getting creamed by Vandy, and FSU got torched by Florida. Those losing teams have athletic departments we’d kill for.

Losing to your rival sucks, but it’s not just us.

I just want us to get our act together and play good football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeffgt14

6 of the 7 teams are going to a bowl game. More than the Atlantic. More than the SEC East. Tied with the SEC West. More than the Pac12 North. 4 more than the Pac12 South. Tied with the ENTIRE BIG12. More than the Big10 East. More than the Big10 West. 1 less than the ENTIRE American Athletic Conference.

We just don’t have an elite team like Clemson. But we have a lot of teams slightly above average.
It'd also look different if the other team vying for a playoff spot right now that plays an ACC schedule would identify as a ACC member.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From all that I've read, after Clemson won their national championship in 2016, the UGA boosters basically came to the realization that they have the ability to achieve the same if they put in the financial commitment to improve. They canned their highly successful coach and hired the best one they could to replace him, massively expanded their football staff and salaries, started work on new facilities, and literally hired whatever high profile recruiter they could regardless of cost (remember when they were trying to poach Andy McCollum?). Their uptick in investment is paying off and right now they're just going to continue to separate themselves from the rest of the pack.

As of 2017, we rank 61st in football spending out of 65 Power 5 teams at $17.38 million per year. We beat out Kansas ($14.01 million), Oregon State ($15.75 million), Wake Forest ($16.61 million), and Purdue ($16.89 million) in spending (yearly bottom feeders). Colorado (ranked #57) and GT are the only teams outside of the top 30 that have won a national championship in the last 35 years. The only consistently good programs outside of this Top 30 range are Stanford and Oklahoma State, all others (including us) are mostly just up and down the last decade.

Too many times we've heard about how we've been denied facility improvements, coordinator hires, and recruiting staff expansion due to monetary restrictions. If we want to achieve greater consistency, I'd wager we need to spend about $6 to $10 million more a year (near Stanford's commitment) and overhaul the staff with demonstrably better coaches (strength and conditioning would be a start) and finish the 2020 Initiative for greater facilities. However, we all know how unlikely this is to occur. It's a pretty bad problem to be in considering I highly doubt any member of this board has that kind of financial influence to make the changes we need. And before you mention the ACC Network bringing in greater money, keep in mind everyone in our league gets that benefit as well.

+1

jeffgt14

After a few hours to beat this around

If we aren’t going to win, I’d like us to play well and look like we’re well coached. We looked sloppy on both sides. I know some of that can be from lining up across from a guy who’s 20 pounds heavier and as fast as you are, but it wasn’t a good looking game we played

I don’t expect us to line up the same players that Alabama and Ohio State and Texas line up. That’s not gonna happen outside of miracle years.

Even if we do line up a team of 4*-5* athletes, Auburn just lost 52-21 to Alabama. OSU smacked Michigan hard 62-39. Tennessee is getting creamed by Vandy, and FSU got torched by Florida. Those losing teams have athletic departments we’d kill for.

Losing to your rival sucks, but it’s not just us.

I just want us to get our act together and play good football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exactly. Thank you. I don't mind losing but at least play with some goddamn passion.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I was at the game, so I wasn’t privy to replay, and I certainly don’t want to watch a replay of the game at home, so I’m wondering about the chop block call in the 2nd quarter (I believe) where we had a good run on first down. The official threw the flag late. CPJ was livid. What did tv show?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Yes, that is my point.

But all at the expense of GT and the welfare of the program. The individual GT employee, despite anything, becomes more important than the team / school.

This was the comment of mine you quoted.

Thanks for finding this. In order to even be in the top 25 we would need over $4M per year. A lot of head coaches with experience will not want to take the difficult path that Georgia Tech forces due to academics . It will greatly limit our coaching search. Just like calculus hinders our recruiting.

Not only does the tough academic requirements hinder our recruiting, it will also hinder any coaching search. People who are thinking, just get a new coach and life will be great again, live in a world of rainbows and unicorns.

The long term support by the admin does not even come close to overcoming the huge limitations we would have for a new coaching search.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
Because he hasn't practiced regularly with the first team O and limited play book opportunities.

Please don't tell us you really think that the staff doesn't start the players they think that five us the best opportunity to win (unless they are hurt or under some restriction).
Well if what was on the field today was the best we’re in one hell of a mess!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It was NOT a chop block call. It was called an illegal cut block, but I was not sure why it was illegal. I think it may have been because Howard cut him toward the middle of the field, where the defender was headed outward, but I am not sure. You also can't cut beyond 3 yards of the line of scrimmage, I believe, but it appeared he was right on the edge of that.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Here are the rules, and I think what was called was what I bolded below......

Linemen with initial position completely inside the tackle box [inside the alignment of the offensive tackles] may legally block below the waist inside the tackle box until the ball leaves the tackle box. All other Team A players are allowed to block below the waist only if the force of the initial contact is directed from the front. “Directed from the front” is defined as within the clock face region between “10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the area of concentration of the player being blocked.

Exceptions:

-Team A players may not block below the waist when the block occurs five yards or more beyond the neutral zone.

-Players outside the tackle box at the snap ,or any time after the snap, or in motion at the snap may not block below the waist toward the original position of the ball at the snap.

-Once the ball has left the tackle box, a player may not block below the waist toward his own end line

This was the comment of mine you quoted.

Thanks for finding this. In order to even be in the top 25 we would need over $4M per year. A lot of head coaches with experience will not want to take the difficult path that Georgia Tech forces due to academics . It will greatly limit our coaching search. Just like calculus hinders our recruiting.

Not only does the tough academic requirements hinder our recruiting, it will also hinder any coaching search. People who are thinking, just get a new coach and life will be great again, live in a world of rainbows and unicorns.

The long term support by the admin does not even come close to overcoming the huge limitations we would have for a new coaching search.
Nor does the long term support by supposed fans who refuse to "throw money" at the program.