UGA Postgame Discussion

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
D'Andre Walker said their scout team ran Georgia Tech's offense better than Tech did .
The uga defense was very well prepared.
Even coach was not blaming the players for missing assignments or not making plays. To quote him - he wished he could have done more to help .

Time to lick wounds.
Duke and uga beat us badly in last 6 quarters of the season.

Duke was a stupid loss by our own foot shooting.
Uga showed we have very very bad pass defense.

Expect teams to study the uva and uga defensive scheme and pass like crazy against our new dl.
Can Coach pull a rabbit out of the hat?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
By playing 0.500 ball and firing coaches every few years. And having degree programs like Interdisciplinary Studies.

Just wait until we play Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, and Miami in the same year when they are all in the top 10. (Miami has something like 40 4-star players, they'll pop a good year here soon.)

I like playing a tough schedule. Not ridiculous, but tough. You can't get to be the best until you beat the best, and that's what we should aspire to be. We may not win more games, but beating up on weak teams is boring and pointless. Playing tough teams will make us better in the long run, IMO.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The last time we had this attitude & actually did something: Dodd quit the SEC and we went independent.

I’m obviously speaking for myself but that was probably the worst strategic decision ever made in the history of college football. Please let’s not double down on a epically bad move.

Not going to argue whether it was a bad decision, but we didn't make a soft schedule when we went independent. Our schedules were tough and interesting, IMO.

But no, we shouldn't aspire downwards, retreat to the lower levels just to (temporarily) improve our w/l record. That would lose us the few fans we still have. It would be a disaster.

Animal02

Banned
I like playing a tough schedule. Not ridiculous, but tough. You can't get to be the best until you beat the best, and that's what we should aspire to be. We may not win more games, but beating up on weak teams is boring and pointless. Playing tough teams will make us better in the long run, IMO.
Like playing the Ragin Cajuns? Arkansas State? The Citadel? How about UMass? or Austin Peay?
The fact is the in today's environment......winning is going to the playoffs.......and to do that you need to be pretty much undefeated........why make it more difficult with one hand tied behind your back?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Like playing the Ragin Cajuns? Arkansas State? The Citadel? How about UMass? or Austin Peay?
The fact is the in today's environment......winning is going to the playoffs.......and to do that you need to be pretty much undefeated........why make it more difficult with one hand tied behind your back?

Ironically, when you're on top you don't need to play a tough OOC schedule to prove yourself or fill the stadium. We don't have that luxury. When FSU set out to improve themselves some years back, before they became a powerhouse, one thing they did was toughen up the schedule. I personally don't care to play The Citadel or Arkansas State. Nothing to gain and everything to lose. Boring and pointless. We didn't beat Clemson or Georgia this year, but we have in years past and it was a great feeling. Contrast that with the feeling you get after stomping Mercer. Meh.

Animal02

Banned
Ironically, when you're on top you don't need to play a tough OOC schedule to prove yourself or fill the stadium. We don't have that luxury. When FSU set out to improve themselves some years back, before they became a powerhouse, one thing they did was toughen up the schedule. I personally don't care to play The Citadel or Arkansas State. Nothing to gain and everything to lose. Boring and pointless. We didn't beat Clemson or Georgia this year, but we have in years past and it was a great feeling. Contrast that with the feeling you get after stomping Mercer. Meh.
I don't disgree.....but it needs to come from the top.....Wins over FCS teams should not count toward playoff standings.....but count toward bowl eligibility.......that would mean anyone seriously wanting to contend for a NC has to drop the FCS teams......the bottom 50% of the teams could still schedule them in order to help get their 6 wins.

Deleted member 2897

If we played Elon, The Citadel, UMass, and Winston-Salem State out of conference and went undefeated overall, we’d still go to the CFP.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Stop posting stupidity

I wonder if Florida wanted to schedule a more formidable opponent when they were spanking UGA nearly every year. It looks like UGA beat Florida 3 times in 21 seasons between 1990 and 2010.

Anyway, I’d be okay with ending the series just so we can keep their ignorant fans out of BDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If we played Elon, The Citadel, UMass, and Winston-Salem State out of conference and went undefeated overall, we’d still go to the CFP.

So, three questions:
When are we going to play our in-state rival, Georgia?
What about Clemson?
and...
What good will it do us to shirk the big boys in the regular season if we still have to face them in the playoffs?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Florida wanted to schedule a more formidable opponent when they were spanking UGA nearly every year. It looks like UGA beat Florida 3 times in 21 seasons between 1990 and 2010.

Anyway, I’d be okay with ending the series just so we can keep their ignorant fans out of BDS.

That would be the only upside.
The downsides are that we would never beat them again, would be ridiculed forever (and rightly so) for giving up. Oh, and we would lose about half of what is left of our meager fan base.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
By playing 0.500 ball and firing coaches every few years. And having degree programs like Interdisciplinary Studies.

Just wait until we play Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, and Miami in the same year when they are all in the top 10. (Miami has something like 40 4-star players, they'll pop a good year here soon.)

To be fair, South Carolina has perfected the fine art of mediocrity. They have pretty much adopted your three part strategy years ago. They play .500 ball like nobody's business, fire coaches at the slightest whim, and have degree programs with "Studies" of one kind or another stretching to the horizon. When my daughter was in graduate school at USC e, I asked her what she though t about the campus, she replied that it was spread out all over the city seems like but the thing that struck her was the absolute casual way students approached studying. Partying began on Thursday night the week of home football games and continued at breakneck pace until Sunday. Remarkable.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
That would be the only upside.
The downsides are that we would never beat them again, would be ridiculed forever (and rightly so) for giving up. Oh, and we would lose about half of what is left of our meager fan base.

I wouldn’t want us to call off the annual meeting. I was looking at some tweets from their fans earlier in this thread that indicate that they want to end the annual meeting. Do you really think that COFH helps our fan base?

Deleted member 2897

To be fair, South Carolina has perfected the fine art of mediocrity. They have pretty much adopted your three part strategy years ago. They play .500 ball like nobody's business, fire coaches at the slightest whim, and have degree programs with "Studies" of one kind or another stretching to the horizon. When my daughter was in graduate school at USC e, I asked her what she though t about the campus, she replied that it was spread out all over the city seems like but the thing that struck her was the absolute casual way students approached studying. Partying began on Thursday night the week of home football games and continued at breakneck pace until Sunday. Remarkable.

Yup.

I was looking at the current Rivals Recruiting Team Rankings today for the 2019 class, and the SEC has 12 schools ranked in the top 26. The SEC is where talent goes to die. Or I suppose party, get arrested, drop out, ride the bench, wither...certainly not study.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t want us to call off the annual meeting. I was looking at some tweets from their fans earlier in this thread that indicate that they want to end the annual meeting. Do you really think that COFH helps our fan base?

Well, we could get rid of it and see what happens. We'd really be losing something special to actually drop that game. It's pretty well unthinkable to me. I think it would dampen the enthusiasm of our fan base in a profound way.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I can't imagine why they would want to give up what is about to become a sure fire win unless some of the Dwags believe that playing Tech the week before the SEC Championship game is not helpful but then Alabama has to contend with playing Auburn so there is that. They believe that greatness in the form of a national championship for the first time in nearly 40 years is within their grasp. We will see, Michigan and Penn State have been thinking the same thing for decades.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sadly we are a small band of warriors who dont like being bullies.

Most get joy padding our rushing stats against people that have less resources and never play our scheme - fcs (alcorn) , acc cross rival ( loserville) , g5 ( bowling green and usf).

Most of these are in September heat at bds= which is not fun.