UGA Postgame Discussion

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Roof did nothing wrong, except choose to be less aggressive with very low talent than most of our fans wanted. He loves the Institute, his alma mater, and for that reason, I hate that he was made to feel so unappreciated. It is easy for fans to jump on coaches, because they don't want to realize the real problem - in our case, we have many, many of those.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
It is because there are chances and then there are crazy long shots. Look I am OK getting a new coach sooner than later, but I want to fix some of the larger underlying issues. If we can keep at the same level or even have another good year WHILE we fix things for the next coach, I think that is the really smart way to do it. The odds are really high that we become irrelevant with whatever coach we end up with and have a bunch of 3 win seasons. I would rather us be in a much stronger position with winning seasons and a better support structure when it is time to switch. The time now is really bad
Excellent post. Look, CPJ was the choice we made to best compete with situation we had. Before we go to a new coach who doesn't run an option designed to compete with talent limitations, we need to fix/improve the competitive limitations that led us to the CPJ choice.

Roof did nothing wrong, except choose to be less aggressive with very low talent than most of our fans wanted. He loves the Institute, his alma mater, and for that reason, I hate that he was made to feel so unappreciated. It is easy for fans to jump on coaches, because they don't want to realize the real problem - in our case, we have many, many of those.
I, and apparently many others, thought that in spite of low talent, he could still have been more aggressive. It obviously has not been overly impressive, but I HAVE seen more aggressiveness at times this year, and eventually that will pay off big time.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

I love Tech can I be defensive coordinator? I think roof is a below average DC. Appreciate him but it was it is

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If this thread is any indication, our fans invest in penny stocks and expect to become millionaires.

I’m happy with this season. We were uncompetitive in two games, we were dominant in three games, and the rest were hard-fought, entertaining matchups. I’ve enjoyed this season. Looking forward to seeing progress from Woody’s D next year, and a new QB.
I love the penny stock analogy

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It is because there are chances and then there are crazy long shots. Look I am OK getting a new coach sooner than later, but I want to fix some of the larger underlying issues. If we can keep at the same level or even have another good year WHILE we fix things for the next coach, I think that is the really smart way to do it. The odds are really high that we become irrelevant with whatever coach we end up with and have a bunch of 3 win seasons. I would rather us be in a much stronger position with winning seasons and a better support structure when it is time to switch. The time now is really bad

Going with a new coach isn't a crazy long shot. Johnson isn't some coaching god that nobody could possibly replicate the success he has had. Why are the odds high we would become irrelevant? We weren't irrelevant before Johnson, and if we are afterwards it will probably be just as much because we have to wait 34 years to bring in and coach OL, QBs, and WRs to run a different offense than anything else. That won't be going away. I'd rather us be in a stronger position with winning seasons and better support. But more support isn't going to come while we still have Johnson, and based on recent history there is about a 50/50 chance of a winning season.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
That was a total, complete, absolute and utter embarrassment. As my cousin called me to say, "Your team is getting their a** kicked!" The Paul Johnson yearly roller coaster ride makes me want to VOMIT as does everyone that says Tech simply must accept mediocrity. The first step toward renewal must be a passionate disgust with mediocrity.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Going with a new coach isn't a crazy long shot. Johnson isn't some coaching god that nobody could possibly replicate the success he has had. Why are the odds high we would become irrelevant? We weren't irrelevant before Johnson, and if we are afterwards it will probably be just as much because we have to wait 34 years to bring in and coach OL, QBs, and WRs to run a different offense than anything else. That won't be going away. I'd rather us be in a stronger position with winning seasons and better support. But more support isn't going to come while we still have Johnson, and based on recent history there is about a 50/50 chance of a winning season.

I honestly don't think you understand or are choosing to downplay how much the AP requirement have effected us. I don't think CPJ is some all fantastic coach. I just understand how attractive of a job it is to coach here (It is very unattractive in its current form). I honestly feel like if we let him go and then started a search we would end up with a worse coach and now is not the time to take a step back. I do think we can significantly improve our recruiting with the right level of support staff to be able to canvas the whole country. Once we have that in place and it is showing results, then I feel like it would be time.

Also, with a better infrastructure in place we increase the chances of finding a better coach.

3Bees

Georgia Tech Fan
I will agree I am disappointed. I will agree that we will not win with such a disparity of size. Forgive me if this has been pointed out but we were an unranked team playing the number 5 team in the country. Should we have truly expected anything else than what occurred?

I personslly am on Paul's side. I believe we have seen improvement over the year in defense and special teams. I think we will get better in both areas next year. Also saw some areas l freshman contributors in Juanye and Charlie Thomas to name a few. I like Taquin but I feel that the guys behind him are over six feet tall which will give us some offensive opportunities. I think we are in good shape for next year but unfortunately UGA will still be tough to beat.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think there’s one thing we can agree on. When Stansbury replaces Johnson (now or later) it will cement his legacy at GT. Make a good call and you’re golden. Make a bad call and you will set the Institute’s athletics back a decade and a half. He will have personally cashed in before all the damage is done, but his career is toast. This isn’t Home Rice’s challenge of bringing GT back from the dead. I believe it’s a lot higher to move a program from mid-pack to elite. I hope he’s got it.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I said it after last weeks win, we’re gonna have to be able to throw or we’ll get demolished. We’ve been one dimensional since JT and we’ve actually haven’t been terrible but against the Clemson Uga, usually Miami and now Duke we have to be able to pass. With the exception to Duke they are way too talented to be able to pin their ears back to stop the run. We can’t ever expect to compete with Clemson or Uga unless we can pass.

That’s my biggest knock on CPJ. When we do pass everyone knows it’s coming and our plays look like we drew them up in the dirt. Also our QBs and OL aren’t developed at all for a passing attack. He has to know this and hasn’t addressed it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't think you understand or are choosing to downplay how much the AP requirement have effected us. I don't think CPJ is some all fantastic coach. I just understand how attractive of a job it is to coach here (It is very unattractive in its current form). I honestly feel like if we let him go and then started a search we would end up with a worse coach and now is not the time to take a step back. I do think we can significantly improve our recruiting with the right level of support staff to be able to canvas the whole country. Once we have that in place and it is showing results, then I feel like it would be time.

Also, with a better infrastructure in place we increase the chances of finding a better coach.

When is the right time for a step back then? How do you expect to significantly improve our recruiting without changing the #1 factor, and yes the head coach is the #1 factor? I don't think in a year, or two years, or three years, we will suddenly be in a situation to say "yeah, we are in a good position to fire Johnson now". There is no good time to fire a coach. There is no good situation to fire a coach. You fire a coach because you're in a bad situation.

The fact is we don't know how much the AP requirement affects us because we've only had one coach that coached here under that situation. You think we can improve our recruiting with the right level of support staff. I think we can improve it with the right head coach hire. I don't think increasing the support staff is going to make Johnson a significantly better recruiter. There is little reason to think that is the case imo. I also don't think we're going to get the financial support we need to improve the staff until we make a move that says we are committed to winning, and that isn't building a new locker room or hiring a career FCS DC.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think there’s one thing we can agree on. When Stansbury replaces Johnson (now or later) it will cement his legacy at GT. Make a good call and you’re golden. Make a bad call and you will set the Institute’s athletics back a decade and a half. He will have personally cashed in before all the damage is done, but his career is toast. This isn’t Home Rice’s challenge of bringing GT back from the dead. I believe it’s a lot higher to move a program from mid-pack to elite. I hope he’s got it.
I don't think he has to go 'elite' level. Just get us to the level of Stanford during their recent heyday: top 25 yearly, and compete for conference championship.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
When is the right time for a step back then? How do you expect to significantly improve our recruiting without changing the #1 factor, and yes the head coach is the #1 factor? I don't think in a year, or two years, or three years, we will suddenly be in a situation to say "yeah, we are in a good position to fire Johnson now". There is no good time to fire a coach. There is no good situation to fire a coach. You fire a coach because you're in a bad situation.

The fact is we don't know how much the AP requirement affects us because we've only had one coach that coached here under that situation. You think we can improve our recruiting with the right level of support staff. I think we can improve it with the right head coach hire. I don't think increasing the support staff is going to make Johnson a significantly better recruiter. There is little reason to think that is the case imo. I also don't think we're going to get the financial support we need to improve the staff until we make a move that says we are committed to winning, and that isn't building a new locker room or hiring a career FCS DC.

I am thinking all of the improvements we make over the next 2 years from the recruiting support system will have real dividends as well as the large fund raising that seems to be going well. If we can stay the same or better over the next 2 years, I think we should greatly improve our chances for getting a better coach and he will have more resources to allow him to be successful. On a personal level I hate it when people try to make decisions based on emotion and I feel like there is a lot of that going on now. That is the quickest way to fail. What we have now is not a bad situation. It is not great or excellent. But we continue to out kick our coverage.

Look we finally have a real AD, but he needs a little time. In Todd I trust

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
That was a total, complete, absolute and utter embarrassment. As my cousin called me to say, "Your team is getting their a** kicked!" The Paul Johnson yearly roller coaster ride makes me want to VOMIT as does everyone that says Tech simply must accept mediocrity. The first step toward renewal must be a passionate disgust with mediocrity.

Great post and

And I sincerely don’t believe you understand how much this offensive system hurts recruiting in general. I acknowledge the challenges inherent at GT. I just don’t understand how some on this board can deny that the Johnson offense hurts as well.