UGA Postgame Discussion

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Thats a fair point - we have struggled with getting open at times. But think about Brad Stewart's diving catch just to pick out one - that should have been a catch on the run and a touchdown. We're not good at even hitting the open players. TaQuon, to pick on him for a minute, is something like 5 of his last 22. Some of those were throwaways, but that's why we don't throw.

Totally agree. In overtime, we should have picked up the first down and more but he lofted the ball and let the corner recover and bat the ball away. I thought that was going to be our death knell.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What other schools are doing is taking minimum NCAA qualifiers and parking them in bogus majors with agressive tutoring to keep them eligible.
If Prez said that, the BOR would transfer the admin of gt research out of gt control Hey uga has about 50% football grad rate.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
1900 yards passing with 19 passing touchdowns in 2014 isn't proof that we pass it when we can?
No, 2014 was a great year but that was one year out of 11 years. You have to have two talented receivers, OL that can block, i.e., Shaq, and really good AB like Perkins, Hill and others. It was the perfect storm for us. JET didn't look that good in 2015, 2016 because the talent level dropped around him not because he got worse.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Yes, the mythical QB that will show what this offense can do and CPJ will open up the full playbook...Sorry, not being a jerk but I have been hearing this for 11 years now. We are what we are.

Jordan Yates, one of our QB commits sure looks like that QB. But so does James Graham (Solid 4 star QB) from the 2018 class.

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
I do think CPJ should have been more prepared for life after JT at QB. No offense to TQM because he worked hard but it's not a good sign to me that no other QB could have beaten him out the last 2 years.

Deleted member 2897

No, 2014 was a great year but that was one year out of 11 years. You have to have two talented receivers, OL that can block, i.e., Shaq, and really good AB like Perkins, Hill and others. It was the perfect storm for us. JET didn't look that good in 2015, 2016 because the talent level dropped around him not because he got worse.

Well I wasn’t arguing about all that. My only point was that we will pass it as much as we are able and the plays are in the playbook. By the way, while 1900 yards passing was the high watermark, we’ve also had an 1850 yard passing season, 2 more over 1800, and 2 more over 1700 yards, and another over 1500 yards. I wouldn't call 1900 an outlier, I would just call it the highest. Its also the year we played 14 games, which would make one of many other seasons higher in yards passing per game.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I do think CPJ should have been more prepared for life after JT at QB. No offense to TQM because he worked hard but it's not a good sign to me that no other QB could have beaten him out the last 2 years.

He lost a good bit of recruited QB talent. Jay Jones, Lucas Johnson, Jaylend Ratliffe. As much as I like TQM, I doubt he starts this year if we had been able to keep everyone and keep them healthy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He lost a good bit of recruited QB talent. Jay Jones, Lucas Johnson, Jaylend Ratliffe. As much as I like TQM, I doubt he starts this year if we had been able to keep everyone and keep them healthy.
Yep. It isn't that we haven't recruited the QBs we need; it's that we haven't kept them healthy or they have been irretrievably injured. Having Lucas and Matthew sidelined for good in successive years was especially unfortunate. I think Lucas might be starting right now if he had been healthy. Same with Jaylend; now, that was a big loss.

As I said earlier, I think if you asked Coach what kind of QB he would like, he'd say, "One who can run and pass like Ricky (Dobbs)." We have QBs who can do that right now; it is just a matter of getting them up to speed.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
OK, so we got beat 45-21. Auburn got beat 52-21. The fact is both programs are vastly better. So is Clemson. And will be.
I hear this a lot. I agree that the money is on this.

Still, college football is a crazy game. Look at Tech in 2014. If you recall, we went into the season after losing 4 DLs to transfer, including two slated as starters. We lost our returning starter at QB. We had moved Perkins to AB and Days to BB and nobody knew if that would work. There were so many question marks about that team that many predicted a 5 - 6 win season. Yet …

It is true that Clemson looks to be on a roll as does Ugag. This does not mean it will continue. First, other schools - we're trying - will up the ante and do everything they can to even things out. Now that Dan Mullen is at Florida things are going to get very interesting in the SEC East. And look at what happened to FSU in Jimbo's last years and now, despite great recruiting classes. Or Texas. Or Tennessee. Good recruiting and a lot of money helps, but there isn't any assurance that it will always deliver.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

The worst of luck. Ratliffe was about to be upgraded to 4* before his accident and there is no doubt in my mind that 1) he would’ve been JT successor 2) we would’ve have been throwing 12-15x/gm.
Someone needs to go wrap Graham & Yates up in bubble wrap now

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
QB is only part of the problem - I don't care who you have back there, if you don't have 5 guys up front that can block for him the QB is going to have limited success.

The o-line is going to be the area where I'm hoping to see the biggest improvement in the offseason. In my opinion, this starts with S&C - I know folks have touched on it in another thread, but I have not been overly impressed with the job that's been done by Sisk and his staff.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
489A5511-5C5A-480F-856D-CEF94820BCBB.jpeg
40CF1F0A-7A01-4B9B-A90D-3126EF7CBE18.jpeg
60038CF6-F5BD-4A68-A11F-74AD441A36FC.jpeg
AA0B3350-3C46-4462-AC64-AC37659F80D4.jpeg
This was before the game.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

It’s nothing short of amazing how these nonsensical false characterizations about our blocking spread and prevail.

How many D players have been injured by Tech cut blocks? The percentage is no higher than any other team. How many other teams cut block? All of them.

So pure lies being spread repeatedly. Another lie is the real reason they don’t want to play Tech. They know the scheme on O is hard to stop and their egos can’t stand losing to a team with obviously less athletic talent but more want to and toughness. If they did replace Tech with Clemson and started losing 3 of every4 to them..Smart’s seat would get warm.