UGA Postgame Discussion

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
OK, I accept that. I did not really mean move down to the what do they call it? G-5? I just see a continuation of our having a schedule that is beyond ridiculous playing two perennial top 5 or so programs in UGA and Clemson every year. We do not have the resources or the commitment to do this and neither does the vast majority of schools. There has always been a group of teams that dominate the college football landscape going back to the days of the Big 8 being ridiculed as "Oklahoma and the 7 dwarfs" but this is beyond the pale. You basically have teams that will break any rule, pay any price, to field professionals against teams that have little chance to compete. It has come to this and the NCAA is to blame for being unwilling to enforce the rules equitably.

LibertyTurns

Banned
OK, I accept that. I did not really mean move down to the what do they call it? G-5? I just see a continuation of our having a schedule that is beyond ridiculous playing two perennial top 5 or so programs in UGA and Clemson every year. We do not have the resources or the commitment to do this and neither does the vast majority of schools. There has always been a group of teams that dominate the college football landscape going back to the days of the Big 8 being ridiculed as "Oklahoma and the 7 dwarfs" but this is beyond the pale. You basically have teams that will break any rule, pay any price, to field professionals against teams that have little chance to compete. It has come to this and the NCAA is to blame for being unwilling to enforce the rules equitably.
The last time we had this attitude & actually did something: Dodd quit the SEC and we went independent.

I’m obviously speaking for myself but that was probably the worst strategic decision ever made in the history of college football. Please let’s not double down on a epically bad move.

Hey, it could be a lot worse for us. If they had realigned the ACC the way it really should be, with a northern division and a southern division, then we would be in the same division with Miami, FSU, and Clemson, and 3 of the NC schools. Attendance would definitely go up with those teams being played annually, and it might even help recruiting, but what a killer schedule that would be for us. And if ND ever gets off their high horse and fully joins the ACC, that's probably the alignment that we would go to. And, of course, we would be playing the mutts every year, making it even tougher for us. But it would make helluva attractive seasons.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Then why even compete ? Let’s just be happy with the way things are ! I’m glad you don’t run a business for me

Do you really think he’s advocating for aiming at 7-5 with losses to mutts? He’s not. He’s pointing out a fact you don’t want to see. And he probably wrongly felt it unnecessary to point to our recent Orange Bowls and wins in Athens.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Hey, it could be a lot worse for us. If they had realigned the ACC the way it really should be, with a northern division and a southern division, then we would be in the same division with Miami, FSU, and Clemson, and 3 of the NC schools. Attendance would definitely go up with those teams being played annually, and it might even help recruiting, but what a killer schedule that would be for us. And if ND ever gets off their high horse and fully joins the ACC, that's probably the alignment that we would go to. And, of course, we would be playing the mutts every year, making it even tougher for us. But it would make helluva attractive seasons.

Good Lord! Don't give them any ideas. I don't think the ACC would go for that because it would create two very unequal divisions when they already have problems with Clemson and FSU being in the same division. Maybe it would help with recruiting but it might mean the end of what has become two very interesting rivalries with Virginia Tech and Virginia. Some of those games have been truly epic. Notre Dame off its high horse? Never happen, not as long as they can avoid playing Clemson, FSU, and Miami in football and still be in contention for the playoffs every other year.

Good Lord! Don't give them any ideas. I don't think the ACC would go for that because it would create two very unequal divisions when they already have problems with Clemson and FSU being in the same division. Maybe it would help with recruiting but it might mean the end of what has become two very interesting rivalries with Virginia Tech and Virginia. Some of those games have been truly epic. Notre Dame off its high horse? Never happen, not as long as they can avoid playing Clemson, FSU, and Miami in football and still be in contention for the playoffs every other year.
ND would be in the northern division with L'ville, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, UVA, and VT. That would be a pretty attractive division too. And if we continue to have one dedicated cross-division opponent each year, maybe that could be VT. I would just as soon be rid of UVA.

When I logged in here a few minutes ago, there was a thread based on an article from FromTheRumbleSeat. I typed a response, and it told me there was no such thread, and when I checked, that thread was indeed gone. Does anybody know what happened to it? Was it merged with an existing thread? If so, which one?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
When I logged in here a few minutes ago, there was a thread based on an article from FromTheRumbleSeat. I typed a response, and it told me there was no such thread, and when I checked, that thread was indeed gone. Does anybody know what happened to it? Was it merged with an existing thread? If so, which one?

The fire CPJ timeline thread.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
A lot of people will condemn and ridicule this as I would myself but it is time to consider discontinuing this series. It does no good for Georgia Tech to attempt to compete with professionals and that is what UGA has become. A professional finishing school for football players. Fire Away.
Either that, or just consider if we beat the spread a win for us .......only half kidding :(

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I mean, we throw when we can throw. We threw for 1900 yards in 2014. We didn't throw this year unless we had to, because we weren't good at throwing. Lucas Johnson and James Graham (and the incoming recruits) can throw.
Didn't have great receivers either. Serviceable but nothing spectacular. WR has been a disappointment the last couple of years.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't like having to play 2 top tier team every year and see no other way to make the situation better other than change the schedule? Auburn and South Carolina have the same problem. How are they handling it?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Don't like having to play 2 top tier team every year and see no other way to make the situation better other than change the schedule? Auburn and South Carolina have the same problem. How are they handling it?

I doubt they are thinking about dropping down a level or getting out of their conference. That seems to be a uniquely GT approach to a large problem. Of course, I don't interact with those fans regularly...perhaps they are taking (some of our) fans approach as well.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Same as we are. You keep playing the game and try to get better. You can't change the schedule every time a team you play every year is on the rise. You just got to make sure you don't slip up against the teams that are on your level.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I know the answer call me
th

Auburn 7-5 and South Carolina 6-5 do I get extra credit ?

Deleted member 2897

By playing 0.500 ball and firing coaches every few years. And having degree programs like Interdisciplinary Studies.

Just wait until we play Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, and Miami in the same year when they are all in the top 10. (Miami has something like 40 4-star players, they'll pop a good year here soon.)