UGA Postgame Discussion

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Doing the best we can? We aren't even close my man. Im not just gonna sit here accept the garbage we saw Saturday. You can do that but i will not.
Great. You've drawn a line in the sand and are not going to sit here and accept it. So what exactly are you going to do about it? Serious question.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Teams that stayed within 24 points of Georgia this year:
#7 LSU (won) - ROAD GAME
#11 Florida (lost by 19) - ROAD GAME
#15 Kentucky (lost by 20) - ROAD GAME
#24 Auburn (lost by 17)

A lot of salt in that company along with ours.
If Kirby had wanted to he could have hung 70 on us in that game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you have to look what other schools are doing as well, and not just your wants/opinions. Reality is, what we saw Saturday is something that a handful of teams can do to pretty much everyone. We are not a powerhouse so it’s kind of just the reality of what happens.
What other schools are doing is taking minimum NCAA qualifiers and parking them in bogus majors with agressive tutoring to keep them eligible.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
This is simple, see Exhibit "A", Saturday November 24th vs. UGAG ...
P5 Offense vs. HS Offense, any argument to this is just plain silly.
#1. The ability to Pass the football
#2. Recruiting has to improve

slugboy

Staff member
I don't care about them. I just care about our team. I just want our team to get better. I don't care how many playoffs they're in. Our first goal ought to be winning the Coastal. Let's get there.

Deleted member 2897

This is simple, see Exhibit "A", Saturday November 24th vs. UGAG ...
P5 Offense vs. HS Offense, any argument to this is just plain silly.
#1. The ability to Pass the football
#2. Recruiting has to improve

Georgia and Clemson make most teams look like a high school offense. Only 2 opponents of Georgia scored as much as we did yesterday against them...and 1 of them was Massachusetts, because Georgia had scored 66 and were playing the waterboys by that point.

Most GT fans I know don't really look at Clemson and Georgia and say "we need to do that" or "we should be able to compete with that". What they say is that we should at least be able to come close to running the table in the rest of the ACC - in other words, there's no reason why we can't beat most of Virginia, UNC, Duke Pitt, Virginia Tech, Miami every year. Something like 6-2 in ACC play and something like 8-4 overall should be a sort of floor-goal every year.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Teams that stayed within 24 points of Georgia this year:
#7 LSU (won) - ROAD GAME
#11 Florida (lost by 19) - ROAD GAME
#15 Kentucky (lost by 20) - ROAD GAME
#24 Auburn (lost by 17)

A lot of salt in that company along with ours.

You missed Missouri. Missouri only lost by 14.

Tennessee was only down by 12 against them with 10 minutes to go.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
if I was grading the units it would be very easy from Saturday.
Offense - F - second worst YPP of the season (3.7 vs 3.2 vs Clemson) and was below 3 until late in the game. Lowest 3rd down conversion of the season - 23% Lowest time of Possession of the season.

Defense - F - tied with Clemson for worst yards allowed per play - 7.3. UGA had fewer 3rd down opportunities than any team we played - basically they were getting 10 yds in less than 3 downs almost all the time. Just 1 TO forced.

Special Teams - A - 100 yd kickoff return. No huge returns allowed. Nothing big to ding them for.

That game wasn't even remotely as close as the final score was.

This is just another data point showing that the spread option offense is no miracle fixer if you are simply outclassed on talent. But I don't think any other offense is as well. Ultimately you have to recruit well enough that you can keep it close. i think the option can work when the talent level is more similar (especially if it is someone that doesn't see you every year) but it won't make up the difference when we play a Top 10 level team.

Johnson will be back next year and should be. But TStan may have an interesting decision to make after next season. Based on the current contract next year will be a renew or move on decision year. What will TStan want to do after next year and how much longer does CPJ want to coach.

if running the spread option is truly hurting the ability to recruit, then at some point we are likely going to have to move on from it. i don't believe getting rid of the current offense is all of a sudden going to have 4 and 5 star players tripping over themselves to come to GT. But getting just 2-3 more a year could make a significant difference. i look at a program like WI - who also had a down year this year, but has been pretty consistently a Top 25 program. Their recruiting rankings tend to hover around 40 nationally. GT's hover around 50-55. The difference is roughly 1 -1/2 4 star players per year or 6 over a 4 yr period.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
if I was grading the units it would be very easy from Saturday.
Offense - F - second worst YPP of the season (3.7 vs 3.2 vs Clemson) and was below 3 until late in the game. Lowest 3rd down conversion of the season - 23% Lowest time of Possession of the season.

Defense - F - tied with Clemson for worst yards allowed per play - 7.3. UGA had fewer 3rd down opportunities than any team we played - basically they were getting 10 yds in less than 3 downs almost all the time. Just 1 TO forced.

Special Teams - A - 100 yd kickoff return. No huge returns allowed. Nothing big to ding them for.

That game wasn't even remotely as close as the final score was.

This is just another data point showing that the spread option offense is no miracle fixer if you are simply outclassed on talent. But I don't think any other offense is as well. Ultimately you have to recruit well enough that you can keep it close. i think the option can work when the talent level is more similar (especially if it is someone that doesn't see you every year) but it won't make up the difference when we play a Top 10 level team.

Johnson will be back next year and should be. But TStan may have an interesting decision to make after next season. Based on the current contract next year will be a renew or move on decision year. What will TStan want to do after next year and how much longer does CPJ want to coach.

if running the spread option is truly hurting the ability to recruit, then at some point we are likely going to have to move on from it. i don't believe getting rid of the current offense is all of a sudden going to have 4 and 5 star players tripping over themselves to come to GT. But getting just 2-3 more a year could make a significant difference. i look at a program like WI - who also had a down year this year, but has been pretty consistently a Top 25 program. Their recruiting rankings tend to hover around 40 nationally. GT's hover around 50-55. The difference is roughly 1 -1/2 4 star players per year or 6 over a 4 yr period.

I agree with this, it is perception. If he would go to his Hawaii offense with all the extra passing, he could still keep the benefits of the option. I think that would greatly improve the perception.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this, it is perception. If he would go to his Hawaii offense with all the extra passing, he could still keep the benefits of the option. I think that would greatly improve the perception.
That's an interesting view that I hadn't really thought about. What would Graham on Johnson look like in the run and shoot offense? That's kind of an excited thought. I don't foresee that happening, but would love for it to. At least bring back some of the shotgun looking formations.

Deleted member 2897

I mean, we throw when we can throw. We threw for 1900 yards in 2014. We didn't throw this year unless we had to, because we weren't good at throwing. Lucas Johnson and James Graham (and the incoming recruits) can throw.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I think with the right QB he would gladly sling it around more. We haven’t seen the ideal QB for this system yet at GT. JT was the best total skill set for what we do, but still not a great passer. TW was a great technician, and smart with the ball, but lacked athleticism and a strong arm. I’m hoping Lucas Johnson gives us a good chance to see a dramatic change in run/pass ratio.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean, we throw when we can throw. We threw for 1900 yards in 2014. We didn't throw this year unless we had to, because we weren't good at throwing. Lucas Johnson and James Graham (and the incoming recruits) can throw.
We also lucked into a highly talented WR that year and another one that was better than avg as a senior. We don't have that now and I don't see any on the horizon. There are many reasons we are painfully bad at passing and QB is just one.

Deleted member 2897

We also lucked into a highly talented WR that year and another one that was better than avg as a senior. We don't have that now and I don't see any on the horizon. There are many reasons we are painfully bad at passing and QB is just one.

Thats a fair point - we have struggled with getting open at times. But think about Brad Stewart's diving catch just to pick out one - that should have been a catch on the run and a touchdown. We're not good at even hitting the open players. TaQuon, to pick on him for a minute, is something like 5 of his last 22. Some of those were throwaways, but that's why we don't throw.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I think with the right QB he would gladly sling it around more. We haven’t seen the ideal QB for this system yet at GT. JT was the best total skill set for what we do, but still not a great passer. TW was a great technician, and smart with the ball, but lacked athleticism and a strong arm. I’m hoping Lucas Johnson gives us a good chance to see a dramatic change in run/pass ratio.

Yes, the mythical QB that will show what this offense can do and CPJ will open up the full playbook...Sorry, not being a jerk but I have been hearing this for 11 years now. We are what we are.