Transfers

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, this may be the last year of immediate eligibility for grad transfers according to CBS sports.

5. Immediately eligible transfers are like gold in April and May
The theory that college assistant coaches get to relax after the Final Four is utter nonsense; spring recruiting is a major reason why. Transfers who can play right away have become a major part of April and May in college basketball, and we've seen in recent years the impact some of those late additions can have on a team during the following season. Two years ago, Iowa State landed DeAndre Kane and he wound up being a key piece on a team that went to the Sweet 16 and won the Big 12 tournament.

Then this past season, Jon Octeus was immediately eligible for Purdue after transferring from Colorado State and he wound up being the Boilermakers' missing piece that enabled Matt Painter's squad to return to the NCAA Tournament. Sources have told CBSSports.com that this is likely the last year that graduate transfers will be allowed to switch schools and not sit out, which would make these next few months the last time schools add "free agents" in college basketball.

If that happens it means schools would have to commit 2 years of a scholarship for 1 yr of playing time for a grad. The negative is that is certainly will reduce the number of schools willing to being in a grad transfer.The upside is that for those who do, that player is going to get their Masters for free.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think coaches should have to sit out one year as well if they're taking jobs at other schools and willingly leaving the guys they recruited.

The whole sit a year out if you transfer rule is complete BS.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bello is a deep reserve. No need to look at.

Trey Lewis going to L'ville makes recruiting Mulder and Outlaw a little easier.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

It was reported earlier that Williams was considering transferring. Guess it's now confirmed. I doubt either is an option for us.

Mizzou is in trouble, btw.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Bello is a deep reserve. No need to look at.

I've always wondered why Bello didn't make a bigger impact in college, he was good in high school and is very athletic. I think a lot of it has to do with attitude more than talent. Either way we should steer clear.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@jeffborzello: Coppin State transfer Sterling Smith (13.9 ppg) will visit Wake Forest tomorrow and Georgia Tech April 17, per source. Eligible immediately.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
@jeffborzello: Coppin State transfer Sterling Smith (13.9 ppg) will visit Wake Forest tomorrow and Georgia Tech April 17, per source. Eligible immediately.

Sterling Smith sounds like he could help. Very good 3-pt shooter and scorer and second team MEAC. Coppin was really bad this season. And scrolling through the transfers I noticed about 4 or 5 other guys transferring from there.