Transfers

MidtownJacket

Staff member
If there is a guard out there that considers themselves to be a scorer, I'm not sure how they can't look at our roster as an opportunity to make an impact.

Especially someone that can hit the 3 ball. Making open looks, especially from deep, is the first step in making any offense run smoothly.

Agreed 100%. I am hoping for a pg or sg who was on a mid level to great type offense - but wants to get more touches and the opportunity to be THE guy on O. Someone who is probably just good enough to get a look at the NBA but only if he can take over games, and that he sees us next year as a good chance to do it.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Unfortunately, the cynical & realistic take is that these immediately eligible grad transfers want to be the final impact piece for a deep tourney run, not the final piece to maybe get to 20 wins.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Unfortunately, the cynical & realistic take is that these immediately eligible grad transfers want to be the final impact piece for a deep tourney run, not the final piece to maybe get to 20 wins.
Dead on and 100% correct. Wish it weren't, but it is.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

They also probably want to step into an offense that will help, not hinder, them showcasing their talents.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Agreed and that is exactly why I don't think that we have played very heavily in these top transfers mentioned.

There has to be a fit...Sorta like Demarco where he played a small role, but had an opportunity to become a key figure at GT.

He wasn't going to be a star wherever he landed, but he was able to play a bigger role for us. I'm pretty sure that he started every game and he saw his role increase considerably.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer

6. Ricky Tarrant, Alabama (eligible immediately) -- He played two seasons at Tulane and averaged 15.7 points as a sophomore before transferring to Alabama. Sat one season and averaged 13.1 points in the SEC this past year before deciding to transfer again after Anthony Grant was let go. Can play immediately.

Considering: Penn State, Murray State, Purdue, Clemson, VCU, Wake Forest, Memphis, California, Georgia Tech, Baylor, Pittsburgh

13. Tyler Harris, Providence (eligible immediately) -- He had his issues at Providence, but Tobias’ younger brother averaged 11.6 points as a sophomore and 9.9 points and 4 boards this past season. He’s eligible immediately for his final college campaign.

Considering: Connecticut, Arizona, Auburn, Boston College, UMass, Auburn, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Georgia Tech, Nebraska, La Salle.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ricky Tarrant would be a welcome addition. I'm really hoping that we are a legitimate option. Unlike some of the other names discussed in this thread, I feel like this is a guy that we should have a decent shot of landing. He should be familiar with the school and staff from before as Red mentioned, and we are probably the next closest school to his home. Hopefully he and Nick Jacobs are buddies and they can reunite soon.

Without a doubt, I would trade Bolden for Tarrant every day of the week. If Tarrant came over and just matched his average from a year ago, we see an instant upgrade offensively. Combine that with a step forward from Jorgensen and Jackson next season, and all of our a sudden, our back court could be pretty strong. We still have another scholarship and room to add another guard or small forward.

Hey Ricky!! Come on doooooooown.

Last edited:

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
While Tarrant is a good player and I would like to have him on the team, I would really like to see us get a strong 3 pt. shooter in addition to scorer. 3 pt. shooting is not his strong suit. If that doesn't happen then I hope we get Mr. Tarrant.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
32.5% for his career from deep..I remember the GT/Tulane game from a couple of years where he shot lights out.

Without looking closer, I'd say that he would be one of the best 3pt shooters on our roster.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's one I'd be interested in. Local kid, can shoot, might be worth him sitting out.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Either we're on to someone better or Chris Bolden isn't leaving, which judging by his tweet of needing 10 classes to graduate is altogether possible. Either way Sterling Smith appears to looking at a better oppty.

Check out @EvanDaniels's Tweet:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That Sucks...Smith is the one that I really wanted. Thought I read where he was supposed to be at the spring game?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That Sucks...Smith is the one that I really wanted. Thought I read where he was supposed to be at the spring game?

Yeah, it's probably a wrap on that one if L'ville swoops in and steals a visit on the weekend he was set to be here. Feel like we got mushed in the face or something.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
"connell62, post: 146607, member: Without looking closer, I'd say that he would be one of the best 3pt shooters on our roster.

Not sure that's the answer we're looking for.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
At this point I get the feeling that every kid out there whether it be a grad transfer or a recruit knows this program is dead in the water at the moment and has zero interest in being here. Unless BG pulls something out his a$$ and gets us to the tournament this year I think there is little to no interest in any high level player coming here. We will be a roster full of low mid major talent for the next few season.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
L'ville wants another grad transfer shooter to pair with Lewis. Damion Lee is their first choice, but if he doesn't commit they are looking at Smith and Ricky Tarrant.

Also, KY appears to be struggling (relatively speaking) with Spring recruiting. in the last 2 days they have offered Charlotte Grad transfer big Michael Thorne Jr, Al SG Dazon Ingram (a AL commit) and Canadian guard Jamal Murray (who both KY and Duke are trying to convince to reclassify to 2015 - Duke may lead on that one - they are saying he could playPG - he was great at the Hoop Summit last weekend). They are also looking seriously now at JUCO SG Mychal Mulder - who GT is also recruiting.