Transfers

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That it might be good to start a thread on this since it is that time of year. Last year over 700 players transferred in Div 1 basketball (an avg of 2 for every school).

Note: the NCAA approved a change to transfers that went into effect immediately this week. There are no longer hardship transfers allowed. If you transfer, you have to sit out a year - no exceptions. If a player has used their redshirt the new school can apply for a 6th year of eligibility so the student athlete still gets 4 years to play.

Grad transfers (students who have graduated and still have eligibility remaining) are exempt and still allowed immediate eligibility.

ACC Transfers out
Syracuse - BJ Johnson and Ron Patterson - these were effectively the 7th and 8th men in a 6 man rotation. Both played roughly 13-15 mpg. These 2 departures basically allow Syracuse to keep recruiting 5* Thomas Bryant.

Wake - Daniel Green and Aaron Roundtree - both of these men will graduate and be immediately eligible at any non-ACC school. Green has had injury issues for 3 years.

Also, here is Verbal Commits running lists of transfers nationally
http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2015

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
This means that had this rule been enacted this past season Mitchell and Heath wouldn't have been playing on the court. At least we can still aim on transfers-to-grad students and we should in finding a shooter/scorer for the upcoming season.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Although the hardship waivers have worked in our favor the past couple of years, I think it's good to do away with it. I'd also say it should have been enacted with rules stipulating you couldn't block transfers of any kind.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

ETA: It's crap like this why Pastner is on my Hell No list. We've had enough revolving door and Memphis is worse than us with kids leaving.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder if Gregory's tenuous job status will affect potential transfers. If you know you're sitting out a year, and no guarantees that the coach who brought you in will be coaching when you're eligible, why come?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, it's why we'll have to look to grad transfers who can still be eligible immediately. We need a scoring wing, right? Those will be rare and highly sought after.