The future of GT football

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The future of GT football is bleak as long as the 404 culture stays.

Probably a bit premature, but I am not sure it wasn't bleak no matter what culture is in charge - seems like the way big boy college football is going, GT will continue to fall behind the big $$ factories.

I think that CGC is trying to do something (make GT a cool place to be for "NFL quality" recruits) that is beyond difficult, and I knew that even if he had some success on the recruiting side, this would not eliminate the need for brilliant game day coaching, and after today, I am concerned with that 2nd part, no matter the recruiting part.

Jmonty71

Banned
How much better of players do you need? We supposedly had better players on the field today. The offense is inept. Its boring. Its painful to even watch. The defense sucked today. I guess they never saw a triple option before? Oh wait... We have always sucked against the option.... Where do we go from here? I expect 2, maybe 3 wins, this year. Given what I've seen, I don't expect a winning season for the next 3 years. Not a good time to be a GT fan. I think this coach came in with a lot of talk, but can't walk the walk.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Coaching is the problem.

A coach that does slogans better than anything else.

A coach that doesn’t know the rules of the game and then can’t own his mistake and makes an inept excuse that the ref said something he didn’t say.

A coach that doesn’t think his D needs to practice against the option before they face it. Then failed to make any decent in game adjustments.

A coach that hired an OC that swaps QBs more frequently than other teams swap running backs or any other position....and is OK with that and champions it as brilliant philosophy after getting spanked by an FCS team.

A coach that on the radio postgame made, in hindsight, a very interesting remark for an excuse at the ineptitude he displayed today. That this “transition” is monumental in the history of college football. He said it twice in 60 seconds. Yes transitions can be tough. But this is what he was paid to do. And honestly...it’s only monumental because he’s in way over his head apparently.

A bye week to prep for Temple. He better get his crap together and right things.

Animal02

Banned
Coaching is the problem.

A coach that does slogans better than anything else.

A coach that doesn’t know the rules of the game and then can’t own his mistake and makes an inept excuse that the ref said something he didn’t say.

A coach that doesn’t think his D needs to practice against the option before they face it. Then failed to make any decent in game adjustments.

A coach that hired an OC that swaps QBs more frequently than other teams swap running backs or any other position....and is OK with that and champions it as brilliant philosophy after getting spanked by an FCS team.

A coach that on the radio postgame made, in hindsight, a very interesting remark for an excuse at the ineptitude he displayed today. That this “transition” is monumental in the history of college football. He said it twice in 60 seconds. Yes transitions can be tough. But this is what he was paid to do. And honestly...it’s only monumental because he’s in way over his head apparently.

A bye week to prep for Temple. He better get his crap together and right things.
I put that "monumental transition" right up there with Tech always in the top ten (or whatever fabrication he made) when he was growing up.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Since our brand is so small currently we aren’t going to get a lashing nationally, also none of our recruits seem to care. Don’t see why some of you are already losing your minds. Gonna be a long year for you.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
So run the ball, and for recruiting, our current class is no better than the last one.
Simple math says the 2020 class is already better in September then last class finished.
199 > 188 points in favor of 2020 class already. Also take away Jamious a CGC recruit from last year and that number gets worse.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah....I know..,..they live in an alternate reality.....like it is not real calculus and they all major it sociology so why wouldn't they come to Tech. :rolleyes:

The alternate reality is we have multiple former players confirming this is true and you refuse to accept it.

There is zero reason we cannot be top 25 in recruiting every year. Gailey did it on the hottest of hot seats. Collins is going to do it in a season with a loss to The Citadel.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
The alternate reality is we have multiple former players confirming this is true and you refuse to accept it.

There is zero reason we cannot be top 25 in recruiting every year. Gailey did it on the hottest of hot seats. Collins is going to do it in a season with a loss to The Citadel.
Recruits are gonna start dumping his snake oil salesman ways pretty soon. It won’t take long.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think the issue right now is that everyone hoped that the Geoff Collins era would reflect the George O'Leary Era (first year 5 wins). However it is looking more like the Bill Lewis era (1 wins) The problem is that it appears to be due to poor coaching....Every team needs a QB, ATL or starter...no college team has ever been bowl eligible in the modern era rotating QBs... Nobody thought CGC would win 9 games.... However the poor coaching has lead to losing to a 0-2 FCS team... I will admit I thought Collins looked like more like O'Leary, however it would appear he is the second coming of Bill Lewis! CGC and CDP better start coaching better and call a Offensive game plan around our run heavy strengths if they hope to win a game in ACC play... and pick a QB and stick with the QB...The team needs and deserves a leader... I hope Coach Collins starts coaching like Oleary and less like Lewis... We will see... I am officially off the Collins hype Kool Aid...

FWIW Watching LJ play QB and TO at QB... I would start Tobias Oliver...Not sure this Coaching staff deserves a player liek Tobias at this point.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the issue right now is that everyone hoped that the Geoff Collins era would reflect the George O'Leary Era (first year 5 wins). However it is looking more like the Bill Lewis era (1 wins) The problem is that it appears to be due to poor coaching....Every team needs a QB, ATL or starter...no college team has ever been bowl eligible in the modern era rotating QBs... Nobody thought CGC would win 9 games.... However the poor coaching has lead to losing to a 0-2 FCS team... I will admit I thought Collins looked like more like O'Leary, however it would appear he is the second coming of Bill Lewis! CGC and CDP better start coaching better and call a Offensive game plan around our run heavy strengths if they hope to win a game in ACC play... and pick a QB and stick with the QB...The team needs and deserves a leader... I hope Coach Collins starts coaching like Oleary and less like Lewis... We will see... I am officially off the Collins hype Kool Aid...

FWIW Watching LJ play QB and TO at QB... I would start Tobias Oliver...Not sure this Coaching staff deserves a player liek Tobias at this point.

Actually, the ole ball coach did it in 1997,

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
I think maybe moving down to FCS is what should be done if they’d have us. Might make the playoffs in a couple years.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Chris Leak and Tim Tebow did it in 2006, UGA did it last yr with Fromm and Fields.

Everyone screaming let’s be a run heavy team is neglecting the fact that we are not very good at run blocking either. If you don’t believe, tell me time we gotten a 3rd/4th & 1.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Actually, the ole ball coach did it in 1997,
In 1997 GT was 7-5

the QBS
Joe Hamilton 173 -268- 64.6% 2314 yds 12 TDS 7Ints 146.6 QB Rating
Rushing attempts 140 - 478yds - 5TDS
Brandon Shaw 4-11 - 36.4% 56yds 1TD 2INT 72.8 QB Rating
Rushing attempts 6 - -6yds - 0TDS

Link
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/1997.html

Not sure if you have the year wrong or not... But clearly Joe Hamilton was the QB in 1997.... Tobias Oliver is clearly the best QB on the team(who doesn't fit what CGC or CDP wants to do in the future, but has him play QB often becuase the others can't move the offense) This backfired against an 0-2 FCS team....

I think I speak for more than one fan.....Just choose a QB and an offensive system and stick with it!

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
In 1997 GT was 7-5

the QBS
Joe Hamilton 173 -268- 64.6% 2314 yds 12 TDS 7Ints 146.6 QB Rating
Rushing attempts 140 - 478yds - 5TDS
Brandon Shaw 4-11 - 36.4% 56yds 1TD 2INT 72.8 QB Rating
Rushing attempts 6 - -6yds - 0TDS

Link
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia-tech/1997.html

Not sure if you have the year wrong or not... But clearly Joe Hamilton was the QB in 1997.... Tobias Oliver is clearly the best QB on the team(who doesn't fit what CGC or CDP wants to do in the future, but has him play QB often becuase the others can't move the offense) This backfired against an 0-2 FCS team....

I think I speak for more than one fan.....Just choose a QB and an offensive system and stick with it!
At UF ... brindise and Palmer.... rotated every play

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Chris Leak and Tim Tebow did it in 2006, UGA did it last yr with Fromm and Fields.

Everyone screaming let’s be a run heavy team is neglecting the fact that we are not very good at run blocking either. If you don’t believe, tell me time we gotten a 3rd/4th & 1.
With our OC none, face facts he is not a D1 OC
is this a resume of a OC you would want
COACHING EXPERIENCE
1991 U.S. Coast Guard Academy Running Backs
1992-93 Springfield (Mass.) Running Backs/Wide Receivers
1994 Fordham Tight Ends
1995 Fordham Wide Receivers
1996-97 Fordham Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers
1998-99 Columbia Wide Receivers
2000 Columbia Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers
2001 Columbia Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2002-03 New Haven Head Coach
2004-05 Holy Cross Running Backs
2006 Holy Cross Wide Receivers/Special Teams Coordinator
2007 Hofstra Passing Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2008-09 Hofstra Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2010-11 Georgetown Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2012-16 Coastal Carolina Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2017-18 Temple Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2019- Georgia Tech Offensive Coordinat

I still like CGC but not if this OC is still here next year.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
With our OC none, face facts he is not a D1 OC
is this a resume of a OC you would want
COACHING EXPERIENCE
1991 U.S. Coast Guard Academy Running Backs
1992-93 Springfield (Mass.) Running Backs/Wide Receivers
1994 Fordham Tight Ends
1995 Fordham Wide Receivers
1996-97 Fordham Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers
1998-99 Columbia Wide Receivers
2000 Columbia Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers
2001 Columbia Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2002-03 New Haven Head Coach
2004-05 Holy Cross Running Backs
2006 Holy Cross Wide Receivers/Special Teams Coordinator
2007 Hofstra Passing Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2008-09 Hofstra Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2010-11 Georgetown Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2012-16 Coastal Carolina Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2017-18 Temple Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2019- Georgia Tech Offensive Coordinat

I still like CGC but not if this OC is still here next year.

He was able to put up massive numbers against FCS competition while leading an actual FCS offense at Coastal but can’t while leading a FBS offense against an FCS team at Tech.

Maybe we should isolate some variables here?