The future of GT football

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If, and I say "if", recruits do begin to jump ship, even a few, just wait. It will be the fault of "negative" fans/alums. I hope we hold onto all of the guys and pick up a few more top guys, but if we don't, "negativity" will be blamed.

It will never be anything else (small fanbase, poor results (i.e. Citadel), few majors, have to "play" school, etc.) for the alternate reality folks. It certainly won't be CGC or the staff's fault.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If, and I say "if", recruits do begin to jump ship, even a few, just wait. It will be the fault of "negative" fans/alums. I hope we hold onto all of the guys and pick up a few more top guys, but if we don't, "negativity" will be blamed.

It will never be anything else (small fanbase, poor results (i.e. Citadel), few majors, have to "play" school, etc.) for the alternate reality folks. It certainly won't be CGC or the staff's fault.

I’ve run global businesses, and yes, elite. Hugely successful. And the brand was premium ... only a select few will ever experience owning this unique product ... exclusivity!

We’re taking the program in the direction of the Gong Show.

We’re D1. Act like it.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Here’s all I’m going to say:

One thing we all have in common is that we want Georgia Tech to win football games. The fact is, whether you like him or hate him, whether you think he’s good or bad, Geoff Collins is going to be Tech’s coach for a minimum of 3 more years. Probably more like 5 if I’m being honest.

You can either 1) stop supporting him, quit going to the games, quit supporting the players and make it harder for them to win games over the next few years or 2) continue to support him and the players, keep going to the games, and make it easier for them to win games.

Option number 2 does not mean you can’t criticize Coach Collins. I have plenty of criticisms from today’s game. But, since he’s going to be our coach for the next few years whether you like it or not, it’s best that our fan base continues to support him and hope he can turn it around.

Is he going to make our program elite? Literally not a single person on this board can say one way or the other for sure, as no one knows the future. I know many of you think you know exactly what will happen, but you don’t.

But instead of making his job more difficult, I’m going to continue to support him and hope it does turn it around.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

One thing we all have in common is that we want Georgia Tech to win football games. The fact is, whether you like him or hate him, whether you think he’s good or bad, Geoff Collins is going to be Tech’s coach for a minimum of 3 more years. Probably more like 5 if I’m being honest.

You can either 1) stop supporting him, quit going to the games, quit supporting the players and make it harder for them to win games over the next few years or 2) continue to support him and the players, keep going to the games, and make it easier for them to win games.

Option number 2 does not mean you can’t criticize Coach Collins. I have plenty of criticisms from today’s game. But, since he’s going to be our coach for the next few years whether you like it or not, it’s best that our fan base continues to support him and hope he can turn it around.

Is he going to make our program elite? Literally not a single person on this board can say one way or the other for sure, as no one knows the future. I know many of you think you know exactly what will happen, but you don’t.

But instead of making his job more difficult, I’m going to continue to support him and hope it does turn it around.

I think the board is screaming “Coach ... focus your energy on what matters ... “ but he’s too busy hip hopping it up.

Five guys determine the direction of Tech football. And they took a hard left rather than a gentle curve.

The Reck is a wreck.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Well yeah, I’m still going to go and support him. But the dude literally just led us to the worse loss in school history...so there’s valid reason for everyone’s concern.

After that game it’s tough to envision us winning another game this year. We probably will, but there’s no guarantee. That said, my hopes that we make a bowl game are completely shot. At this point my expectations have changed to, “try to field at least something that resembles a competent offense with a plan before the end of the season.” Any wins are gravy if we can do that.

There are a few very controversial methods they’re employing that they’d better be sure to evaluate quickly or this thing could turn into a dumpster fire that resembles 1994. Most notably switching QB’s in the every couple plays. Sheesh man, even teams that were successful with two QB’s would usually alternate drives, not individual plays.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the board is screaming “Coach ... focus your energy on what matters ... “ but he’s too busy hip hopping it up.

Five guys determine the direction of Tech football. And they took a hard left rather than a gentle curve.

The Reck is a wreck.

One thing that would make this board a lot better is if people stopped acting like they know things that they actually don’t know.

For example when you say things like, “Coach focus your energy on what matters...” that implies 1) you know what it takes to run a major college football program (which you don’t) and 2) that you know what Coach Collins focused on this week (which you and others also don’t).

Coach Collins is going to do things his way no matter how much some of you hate it. Screaming on message boards isn’t going to change that. So like I said on my previous post you can either 1) support him and hope it results in Tech wins in the future or 2) not support him and make it even more difficult for Tech to win games.

But I promise. Yelling about it on message boards isn’t going to change anything.

Although I DO agree with what you said, you left out an option 3, or a 3rd POSSIBILITY. He COULD turn into another B.L. and not even last 2 years. For Tech's sake, I hope that is not the case, and I am not saying that it will, but it certainly COULD be.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck

The Reck is a wreck.

I think this is it for me. I like coach Collins. He says the right things more or less for me. Sounds very smart and very player focused. But at some point the dancing and swag and everything else doesn’t mean a hill of beans if you actually have the talent available on the team to beat The Citadel, and you don’t. Fix that, and fix it quick and I’m still Team Collins.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’ve run global businesses, and yes, elite. Hugely successful. And the brand was premium ... only a select few will ever experience owning this unique product ... exclusivity!

We’re taking the program in the direction of the Gong Show.

We’re D1. Act like it.

We were acting like a D1 program before? Fooled me

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think it may be time to consider that the reasons GT is not more successful in football may in fact not be the coaches....whether they were old traditional guys like CPJ or young energetic guys like CGC.

Not saying coaching doesn't matter at all, but when you have an FCS team getting 3 yards every time they need it, and we can't gain even 1 yard on 4th and 1......I'm not sure that's coaching.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

The Reck is a wreck.

I thought sleep would make these hot takes better but of course not.

“Focus energy where it matter?” So where is his focus?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

The person who could have made it a gentle curve was Johnson by adjusting his offense and general approach to running the program. He made a token attempt at it, at least the former, but then backed off to what he was comfortable with. At that point we could either continue down the triple option path or take the hard left turn of going away from it. HE recruited and coached to his system, which made sense, but it setup for a very poor transition whenever the transition happened.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it may be time to consider that the reasons GT is not more successful in football may in fact not be the coaches....whether they were old traditional guys like CPJ or young energetic guys like CGC.

Not saying coaching doesn't matter at all, but when you have an FCS team getting 3 yards every time they need it, and we can't gain even 1 yard on 4th and 1......I'm not sure that's coaching.

How is it NOT coaching when we are trying that out of the shotgun? Was the FCS that I was getting 3 yards at will doing it from 3-4 yards back? Out of the shotgun, you need to effectively gain 4-5 yards to get that “1 yard”. That to me IS coaching.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But I promise. Yelling about it on message boards isn’t going to change anything.

I have not looked at much of the threads since the game yesterday but I know it's probably the same subset of bitchers and moaners that would be bitching about something if we had won. The content and material on this board has gone the way of most other boards when it used to contain strong content. I honestly believe that a great many of these people do not enjoy being a fan of the team but rather see themselves as critics or skeptical analysts. I too am of the mindset set that, no matter what, we will have CGC on the sideline for the next 4 years so I am willing and able to give him time and enjoy the ride. Maybe he/we have to endure growing pains but Saban or Swinney or guys of that ilk are not beating down the door to take this job. I will support the team and coach until the next coach shows up. Been doing that all my life.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think this is it for me. I like coach Collins. He says the right things more or less for me. Sounds very smart and very player focused. But at some point the dancing and swag and everything else doesn’t mean a hill of beans if you actually have the talent available on the team to beat The Citadel, and you don’t. Fix that, and fix it quick and I’m still Team Collins.

You guys don’t want a coach, you guys want a miracle worker!

You want someone to make non throwers throw and non passers pass all the while don’t want kids to get processed bc they signed up for the 40yr decision.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
One thing that would make this board a lot better is if people stopped acting like they know things that they actually don’t know.

For example when you say things like, “Coach focus your energy on what matters...” that implies 1) you know what it takes to run a major college football program (which you don’t) and 2) that you know what Coach Collins focused on this week (which you and others also don’t).

Coach Collins is going to do things his way no matter how much some of you hate it. Screaming on message boards isn’t going to change that. So like I said on my previous post you can either 1) support him and hope it results in Tech wins in the future or 2) not support him and make it even more difficult for Tech to win games.

First off, you don’t know anything about me.

But I know what it takes to lead large organizations. The AA isn’t a big responsibility, $ or employee wise.

But I do know this. I don’t like what Tech has done to football. I don’t like the clown show and no, I don’t like the gimmicks.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
How is it NOT coaching when we are trying that out of the shotgun? Was the FCS that I was getting 3 yards at will doing it from 3-4 yards back? Out of the shotgun, you need to effectively gain 4-5 yards to get that “1 yard”. That to me IS coaching.

We are going to beat this horse in ground, i see. shotgun or from under center, it doesn’t mean nothing if we don’t block. In both cases, there was defender turned loose and tackled the runner at the LOS