The future of GT football

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
How is it NOT coaching when we are trying that out of the shotgun? Was the FCS that I was getting 3 yards at will doing it from 3-4 yards back? Out of the shotgun, you need to effectively gain 4-5 yards to get that “1 yard”. That to me IS coaching.
To be honest, I would expect a P5 program to be able to physically stop an FCS run at the line of scrimmage when you KNOW what is coming....we should have the physical superiority to do so. We did not.

Conversely, on offense we should be able to push forward for 3 yards when we HAD to have it, yet we couldn't.

To my eyes, we were consistently beaten on the line of scrimmage yesterday on both sides of the ball. Our skill players were clearly superior to theirs, and you can blame the coaches for not finding a way to win when you know your lines are being beaten but it's harder to win football games when you are losing the battle in the trenches.

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think everyone needs to relax. The roster that he inherited does not fit what he is trying to do. It’s going to take time regardless of who is the coach.

Also, I think people need to remember that one of the greatest coaches of all time had trouble in his first year at a program. I think Nick Saban lost to LA-Monroe and UAB in his first years at Bama and LSU. And I think he had more talent than GT does at this time..

It’s going to take time.. not sure how much. But we have to give CGC more than 1 season. I think we should see how this team looks at the end of the year. I hope this team looks much better near the end of the year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
One thing that would make this board a lot better is if people stopped acting like they know things that they actually don’t know.

For example when you say things like, “Coach focus your energy on what matters...” that implies 1) you know what it takes to run a major college football program (which you don’t) and 2) that you know what Coach Collins focused on this week (which you and others also don’t).

Coach Collins is going to do things his way no matter how much some of you hate it. Screaming on message boards isn’t going to change that. So like I said on my previous post you can either 1) support him and hope it results in Tech wins in the future or 2) not support him and make it even more difficult for Tech to win games.

But I promise. Yelling about it on message boards isn’t going to change anything.

By the way, I was there for the Butch Jones debacle at Tennessee. Witnessed it up close and personal as he lost the locker room and later, the fanbase.

Message boards are monitored for fan engagement so don’t be so sure of yourself.

No need to respond. I’m going to hang out in Palm Beach and relax. It’s TStan’s problem. But while I will cheer for the Jackets, I don’t have to approve of the way the team is run.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
He was able to put up massive numbers against FCS competition while leading an actual FCS offense at Coastal but can’t while leading a FBS offense against an FCS team at Tech.

Maybe we should isolate some variables here?

OK. He mastered a whole 24 point masterpiece against equal competition.

This coaching staff is a complete joke.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To my eyes, we were consistently beaten on the line of scrimmage yesterday on both sides of the ball. Our skill players were clearly superior to theirs, and you can blame the coaches for not finding a way to win when you know your lines are being beaten but it's harder to win football games when you are losing the battle in the trenches.

I did not attend or watch the game. But I trust you at your word....if we were outmatched at the LOS, it does give us a glimpse into the kind of hand coach was dealt in terms of previous recruiting.

All objective observers had predicted a bad year for us this year but yet most of our fans somehow seemed to brush that aside.. I think they had a much clearer, real picture of the situation that Coach was facing here. Kudos to CPJ for squeezing 7 wins out of this group last year. I think the above speaks to the "great X's and O's guy but poor recruiter" mindset that some (most?) have of CPJ.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My only other comment is I will wait to see if there is progress this year.

So far, I have not seen much progress. But it's only been 3 games. If we are still doing all these same things after 9 games, well, that's one answer. If we slowly improve, that's another....

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
First off, you don’t know anything about me.

But I know what it takes to lead large organizations. The AA isn’t a big responsibility, $ or employee wise.

But I do know this. I don’t like what Tech has done to football. I don’t like the clown show and no, I don’t like the gimmicks.

You don’t have to like them. That’s my point. But they’re still going to be there regardless. So you can either whine like a little child hoping for the downfall of Coach Collins or, despite not liking how he chooses to do things, support him and hope it works out for the best.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If, and I say "if", recruits do begin to jump ship, even a few, just wait. It will be the fault of "negative" fans/alums. I hope we hold onto all of the guys and pick up a few more top guys, but if we don't, "negativity" will be blamed.

It will never be anything else (small fanbase, poor results (i.e. Citadel), few majors, have to "play" school, etc.) for the alternate reality folks. It certainly won't be CGC or the staff's fault.

Every post of yours have been an echo of what CPJ would say of GT football history

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing that would make this board a lot better is if people stopped acting like they know things that they actually don’t know.

For example when you say things like, “Coach focus your energy on what matters...” that implies 1) you know what it takes to run a major college football program (which you don’t) and 2) that you know what Coach Collins focused on this week (which you and others also don’t).

Coach Collins is going to do things his way no matter how much some of you hate it. Screaming on message boards isn’t going to change that. So like I said on my previous post you can either 1) support him and hope it results in Tech wins in the future or 2) not support him and make it even more difficult for Tech to win games.

But I promise. Yelling about it on message boards isn’t going to change anything.

You are correct, but this board has been this way for the last 5 years. Hopefully Collins gives us something else to do over the next two.

My expectations are certainly over for this squad - maybe I can enjoy watching us lose without getting pissed off. Not likely, but I will try. I want to see how CGC and the players handle adversity because they will have it now. This ATL media will only stay onboard for so long before they start dumping on him and the program again.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Although I DO agree with what you said, you left out an option 3, or a 3rd POSSIBILITY. He COULD turn into another B.L. and not even last 2 years. For Tech's sake, I hope that is not the case, and I am not saying that it will, but it certainly COULD be.

I did leave that option. At the end. Basically said anything can happen, we don’t know what will. But I promise, the best way for us to avoid going to back to BL years is not by the fan base giving up on collins after three games when it’s going to be here at least three more years.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
To be honest, I would expect a P5 program to be able to physically stop an FCS run at the line of scrimmage when you KNOW what is coming....we should have the physical superiority to do so. We did not.

Conversely, on offense we should be able to push forward for 3 yards when we HAD to have it, yet we couldn't.

I somewhat agree. But we had a player that seemed basically capable of winning the game “by himself” (I know it still takes a team to do so), but Oliver seemed to be capable of moving the ball despite our shortcomings in the trenches, and yet we kept going away from him at QB, when the alternative had shown zero production all day.

Bottom line is that we still could have easily won yesterday. But we didn’t, and it’s over. But LOTS of improvement in decision making needs to occur VERY QUICKLY for me to keep believing in this staff. It’s not that hard to distinguish between losses due to lack of playing personnel or coaching. Clemson was obvious talent differences. This was not.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I guess some of us kookaid drinkers aren't throwing in the towel on this coach after 3 games. It was emabrassing yes, not a reason to determine this coaching staff is trash yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Honest question here: IF it doesn’t get much better than what we have seen, when will it be time to throw in the towel?

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
OK. He mastered a whole 24 point masterpiece against equal competition.

This coaching staff is a complete joke.

CCU scored 31 and 38 against The Citadel when he was there. Why was he able to do so much better against them with that roster than this one?

Not a super hard thing to figure out.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Every post of yours have been an echo of what CPJ would say of GT football history

Some people just aren’t going to accept that hiring Collins was a move for the future beyond 2019. Whether it works out or not, that’s still TBD. It could make us a powerhouse, could turn us into Kansas. No one here knows. Either way. If we simply were making a coaching hire to give us the best possible success solely for 2019, we would have hired another 3O coach.

But giving up on Collins three games into the season sure as hell isn't going to make it easier for GT to win games. So as fans, why would you do anything that makes it more difficult for GT to win?

Animal02

Banned
By the way, I was there for the Butch Jones debacle at Tennessee. Witnessed it up close and personal as he lost the locker room and later, the fanbase.

Message boards are monitored for fan engagement so don’t be so sure of yourself.

No need to respond. I’m going to hang out in Palm Beach and relax. It’s TStan’s problem. But while I will cheer for the Jackets, I don’t have to approve of the way the team is run.
It is comical to see the apologists now insist that anyone that does not like what has happened in the last few months are just supposed to shut up and accept it......considering their behavior the last 11 years. :rolleyes:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You don’t have to like them. That’s my point. But they’re still going to be there regardless. So you can either whine like a little child hoping for the downfall of Coach Collins or, despite not liking how he chooses to do things, support him and hope it works out for the best.

You’re right. I’ll hope for the best. But their are unintended consequences ...

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it’s going to take time. Five years, at a minimum, assuming the staff and the head coach’s stylized ATL image program campaign reality show remain the same for that length of time.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Honest question here: IF it doesn’t get much better than what we have seen, when will it be time to throw in the towel?
Maybe next season ? This season we already knew was going to be bad, we just need to see that the coaches are improving things , but next year will be new recruits etc

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We lost to a FCS program that should not happen but it did. I still like CGC but you have to learn from your mistakes we will see if that happens. CGC is a good defensive coach but he needs to see what his offensive coordinator is doing. Like people said about CPJ he needs to see what is going on with the defense. You are a head coach that means you are responsible for the offense , defense, and special teams. If you have a QB that is moving the team and on the next series changes the QB you need to ask him why. Don't give me this ATL crap, we are not Clemson or Alabama. It's not that hard for an average defensive coordinator to put a game plan together if you run certain plays with each QB. If you are a offensive coordinator you should be able to find passing plays that work for your running QB and running plays that will work for your passing QB. Like I said I still like CGC but if things don't get better on offense and we have the same OC next well ……
Oh and those who say we will be OK with 3 or 4 losing seasons to turn this around , I don't see it.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It is comical to see the apologists now insist that anyone that does not like what has happened in the last few months are just supposed to shut up and accept it......considering their behavior the last 11 years. :rolleyes:

Lol what have you liked? That’s the issue. Any sugar you’ve turned into :poop:. I’ve never seen anyone with a vendetta quite like yours.