The future of GT football

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If we had scored that TD in regulation we would feel better but the team wouldn’t be better.

This. I've been telling everyone here we are most likely a 4 win team at best. After today, I think we'll be lucky to win 3.

We've got to give CGC time to get his players in the system. It will get better eventually, but it will take a while...

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
The future can be bright if we want it to be, as coach said earlier none of use see what is actually going on behind the scenes to get to where we want to go , but as fans we owe it to coach to get it right, at least more than 3 games. We gave cpj a long leash to get right and we should for Collins. None of us want to see what we saw tonight but we can't go on full meltdown yet, hell some of you all day this game is gonna hurt recruiting, but I'd be more worried our fan base will hurt recruiting more.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This. I've been telling everyone here we are most likely a 4 win team at best. After today, I think we'll be lucky to win 3.

We've got to give CGC time to get his players in the system. It will get better eventually, but it will take a while...

None of us wanted to believe the publications and prognoticators who predicted doom for us this year. But LOTS of pretty smart people did.

Scubapro

Banned

I want to agree with you.
I want CGC to be a great coach.
I said the same things after Gailey and Billy L****
Lets let them put their system in and get their type of players
From what I saw today...he doesnt have a clue and no amount of players will change that
I hope I am wrong

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I want to agree with you.
I want CGC to be a great coach.
I said the same things after Gailey and Billy L****
Lets let them put their system in and get their type of players
From what I saw today...he doesnt have a clue and no amount of players will change that
I hope I am wrong

Don't get me wrong. There has been plenty so far that has alarmed me, and not just today, but, and I mean it's a big BUT, this transition is unlike any we've ever undergone before, and there's not really any recent precedent for it.

The penalties today frustrated me. The defense completely falling apart frustrated me. The continued insistence on running 3rd and 4th and 1 from the shotgun frustrated me.

The clock management really frustrated me, though after listening to the post game press conference, I can understand why he called the TO just prior to the snap that cost us a TD.

Hype only goes so far, and when you lose to an 0-2 FCS team, all that hype just makes you look even more foolish.

BUT, we are stuck with CGC for at least three more years. I still think he has the potential to turn this around long term, and I hope I am right.

We just need to understand we are a really bad team right now, and look for the positives in each game. There's always 2021...

Animal02

Banned
Don't get me wrong. There has been plenty so far that has alarmed me, and not just today, but, and I mean it's a big BUT, this transition is unlike any we've ever undergone before, and there's not really any recent precedent for it.

The penalties today frustrated me. The defense completely falling apart frustrated me. The continued insistence on running 3rd and 4th and 1 from the shotgun frustrated me.

The clock management really frustrated me, though after listening to the post game press conference, I can understand why he called the TO just prior to the snap that cost us a TD.

Hype only goes so far, and when you lose to an 0-2 FCS team, all that hype just makes you look even more foolish.

BUT, we are stuck with CGC for at least three more years. I still think he has the potential to turn this around long term, and I hope I am right.

We just need to understand we are a really bad team right now, and look for the positives in each game. There's always 2021...
I don't think we are a bad team.....I just think we have bad coaching.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
@ilovetheoption said it truly in another thread, and I'm paraphrasing here, todays loss really only hurts insofar as it impacts recruiting. Hopefully CGC can spin this as proof we need difference makers stat and float the instant playing time lure in front of them.

Our future hinges on CGC bringing in top 25 classes yearly, with a 1-2 year grace period with top 30-35 being acceptable.

Otherwise, we may have hired the football version of Josh Pastner.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
@ilovetheoption said it truly in another thread, and I'm paraphrasing here, todays loss really only hurts insofar as it impacts recruiting. Hopefully CGC can spin this as proof we need difference makers stat and float the instant playing time lure in front of them.

Our future hinges on CGC bringing in top 25 classes yearly, with a 1-2 year grace period with top 30-35 being acceptable.

Otherwise, we may have hired the football version of Josh Pastner.

And, even with top 25 classes, coaching prep and gameday strategies will be key to allow us to compete with the top 15 class schools. GT will never, and I repeat, never be able to recruit well enough to win with just "better talent" overall. We will always need an advantage. Coach Friedgen was an advantage, as he was usually smarter than the DC of the other team. Coach PJ's system was an advantage on gameday and prep for other teams.

Of course, none of this even matters right now, as we just lost to a bad FCS team.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Just listened to the radio broadcast....was working chain gang at my son's CYO game.
I still think we have the talent to have gone 6-6 this year.....I lay it all on coaching.

You're just being obstinate. We very well could lose out, though I think we have 1-2 upsets in us. And yes, I doubt we'll be favored in any remaining games.