Ted Roof's job

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Allowing a team to score on it's first possession in 5 straight games is one thing and one thing only....COACHING! We are not a well coached defensive football team, and Roof's position that he coaches LB's are even worse. It is time for a change, either in scheme (which I don't think will happen unless PJ takes over) or at DC. How about we just take back the $250K raise we gave Roof, use it to hire 2-3 more support staff, and make Andy Mac DC and Roof Recruiting Coordinator.
I personally would like to keep roof as a recruiter and Mac as a DB or lb coach but I would want a completely new face to the program as our D coordinator. I would like to see us get a well known recruiter at a school that has been know for their D, we wouldn't be able to et their D coordinator but maybe a LB or DB coach that has been around for a while as our D coordinator. I just think a new face would be good for the program.

No easier way to ID yourself as a fan with an agenda than to refer to our O as the Wing-T, so thanks for that. Yeah, we've lost 3 games, Clemson we got whooped but we were taking it to Miami until the back-to-back defensive TDs (JT never should have been in that second series...he was holding his left arm still tight to his body after the sack, no surprise he couldn't pitch it left handed 2 plays later) and Pitt we outplayed on offense (and they have a helluva stable of RBs too, but their defense is what won the day). In short, your opinion is factually incorrect.
Our offense is the wing t, ran by several GHSA teams, which mirror our sets. Ur first mistake. Second mistake, all I hear from is one excuse after another, which is becoming a common action referring to our vaulted offense.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
By whom? I can believe he was forced to get a new DC, but who would have forced Roof on CPJ? Somehow I just don't see that.

I don't really care of Roof did well at other jobs or not. What I care about is the last 2-4 years of the defenses he has put on the field at GT. I can accept someone growing into a job/role. But our defenses, aside for 2014, have been horrid. AND EVEN IN 2014, IT ONLY TUEND AORUND AFTER SOMEONE (NOT SURE HWO) DECIDED TO GO TO A MORE ATTACKING DEFENSE. I believe the htinkming was our offense was so good that if we gave up a quick TD we could come down and score ourselves, so our best bet was to try to force turnovers. This happened after the losses to UNC and Duke. We became an attaching defense, and lo and behold, it worked!
Yep cpj has said that about our D in 2014, that we could attack and do more because we could score so often, and even then cpj was the one who said he needed to change to that style.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I think your missing his point, he's trying to say the fbs teams weren't that good, if you look at the other teams we played our D was not very good.

All I'm saying you can't cherry pick statistics to bolster your point, it's intellectually dishonest imo. Good or bad as of today Tech is #36 in total D and 3-3 on the season. Now drilled down even further, that put's Tech 8th in total D for ACC teams. The ACC has 7 teams in the top 26 teams in total D and Tech has faced 3 of them so far. What's harming Tech (and making the D look worse) as much or more so is that Tech is 114th in Total O! Let that sink in a minute. As bad as 2015 was Tech was 81st in Total O. Signs are positive in the last 2 games for the O so if Tech can stay at 36th in total D things should continue to trend positively. Please don't think I don't know some changes are needed on D but let's look as it as a while at this point in time.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
All I'm saying you can't cherry pick statistics to bolster your point, it's intellectually dishonest imo. Good or bad as of today Tech is #36 in total D and 3-3 on the season. Now drilled down even further, that put's Tech 8th in total D for ACC teams. The ACC has 7 teams in the top 26 teams in total D and Tech has faced 3 of them so far. What's harming Tech (and making the D look worse) as much or more so is that Tech is 114th in Total O! Let that sink in a minute. As bad as 2015 was Tech was 81st in Total O. Signs are positive in the last 2 games for the O so if Tech can stay at 36th in total D things should continue to trend positively. Please don't think I don't know some changes are needed on D but let's look as it as a while at this point in time.
No I agree with you completely, I just think the poster was trying to get across the fact that our D isn't that good and those statistics might not show it because of the bad offenses we have played. I do agree that you can't cherry pick though because like you said every team has the same thing, but I do understand where he is coming from.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Fwiw, the Total D and Total O stats are misleading because of how our offense limits # of possessions. Ten possession games will likely have fewer yards on both off and def than 15 possession games, making our D look better and our offense look worse.

So our D is #36 in yds/game allowed and #77 in yds/play allowed. Our O is #114 in yds/game and #74 in yds/play.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, the Total D and Total O stats are misleading because of how our offense limits # of possessions. Ten possession games will likely have fewer yards on both off and def than 15 possession games, making our D look better and our offense look worse.

So our D is #36 in yds/game allowed and #77 in yds/play allowed. Our O is #114 in yds/game and #74 in yds/play.
Yep cpj just went over this on the cpj show.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Adjusted in any form doesn't change the fact the ACC has 7 teams in the top 26 and Tech has already faced 3 of them and that Tech's offense isn't yet performing to its norm.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm stuck in the middle, part of me says PJ and Roof will both be around next year and the other half says they're both out unless we have a big turn around. If we fire PJ we go into a couple bad rebuilding years. But would we rather get those years done with now and maybe still have a chance to compete at the same time or keep putting those years off. One thing I ask is who would we go after to hire if we fire PJ and Roof to replace them. Could we get a coach as good as or better than PJ to come to tech. I Think we would have a chance at a good name to bring in. Do we try and go after a spread guy. Idk what names we would try to bring in

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm stuck in the middle, part of me says PJ and Roof will both be around next year and the other half says they're both out unless we have a big turn around. If we fire PJ we go into a couple bad rebuilding years. But would we rather get those years done with now and maybe still have a chance to compete at the same time or keep putting those years off. One thing I ask is who would we go after to hire if we fire PJ and Roof to replace them. Could we get a coach as good as or better than PJ to come to tech. I Think we would have a chance at a good name to bring in. Do we try and go after a spread guy. Idk what names we would try to bring in
The action you seek would be very poorly timed.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm stuck in the middle, part of me says PJ and Roof will both be around next year and the other half says they're both out unless we have a big turn around. If we fire PJ we go into a couple bad rebuilding years. in

Ain't happening. New AD is just coming on to the job full time around the end of the football season, and I sincerely doubt his first act will be to fire the football coach. Plus, financially, it would be...a problem.

You guys can play games and speculate all you want, but CPJ (at least) will be here another season. I have no idea of the relationship between CPJ and Roof, so I have no idea of Roof's job security.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
Question for all the great football minds out there.......do you think CPJ and CTR get together and decide what schemes will work best for the athletes they have on campus, and how they would like to control the game from a defensive perspective and how we play defensive will affect the offense game plan and vice versa.....if they do get together which I think they would... the way we play Defense is on CPJ....which affects the play calling by CTR...Am not defending anyone here just asking a question.....but if they do not get together and CTR does what he wants then its on CTR....I would think one as a head coach would like to have an overall game plan of how we would like the game to go...and all successful head coaches approve game plans....for offense, defense, and special teams..

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yes 34 points

27 points actually. And 7 of those were set up by a turnover that gave us the ball on the plus side of the field. And there is of course the offense giving the ball back to pitt already in field goal range for the game winning field goal.