Ted Roof's job

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I feel that we need to play nearly to perfection, to win 7 games. Our offense needs to score a TD on every possession, otherwise, it's a game that can be lost. Other than GA Southern, we won't hold any team to under 20.
They might score more than 20 lol

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Just checked on Tech's D stats, given all the angst (including me) I was surprised to find Tech is #36 nationally in total D. Tech has also faced the #6, 9 and 10 teams in total D to date.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22
Isn't that somewhat deceptive given that we generally have much fewer drives per game than other teams? So total stats will be reduced. We rank 82nd in yards/play apparently.
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-yards-per-play

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
What's great about his scheme? Please tell me more than 1 thing. There's a reason the top D's are not running this scheme.
Makes their Offense work harder. Makes them stay on the field longer. Creates opportunities for turnovers. Keeps teams from getting 10 yards on first down. Forces a lot of 3rd and Mediums. Forces a lot of Field goals. Works well for the quality of Athletes we have on campus right now. Apparently it does something right because Gentry Bonds and The Swillings want to play in it. (All 4 Stars BTW) ;)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Makes their Offense work harder. Makes them stay on the field longer. Creates opportunities for turnovers. Keeps teams from getting 10 yards on first down. Forces a lot of 3rd and Mediums. Forces a lot of Field goals. Works well for the quality of Athletes we have on campus right now. Apparently it does something right because Gentry Bonds and The Swillings want to play in it. (All 4 Stars BTW) ;)
Makes their Offense work harder. Not really just makes them more patient.
Makes them stay on the field longer. Makes our D tired
Creates opportunities for turnovers. No it doesn’t
Keeps teams from getting 10 yards on first down. Doesn’t matter if they pick it up anyways
Forces a lot of 3rd and Mediums. Only because teams attempt to run on 1 of the first 2 downs
Forces a lot of Field goals. No it doesn’t
Works well for the quality of Athletes we have on campus right now. No it doesn’t
Apparently it does something right because Gentry Bonds and The Swillings want to play in it. (All 4 Stars BTW). Not because of Ted Roof’s scheme

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Keeps teams from getting 10 yards on first down. Doesn’t matter if they pick it up anyways
Forces a lot of 3rd and Mediums. Only because teams attempt to run on 1 of the first 2 downs
Works well for the quality of Athletes we have on campus right now. No it doesn’t
Apparently it does something right because Gentry Bonds and The Swillings want to play in it. (All 4 Stars BTW). Not because of Ted Roof’s scheme
"Only, Not Really, No it doesn't"
Where's the facts?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Show me a D.C. out there willing to come to Tech that isn't under contract or that isn't about to get fired. I'll wait, and wait, and keep waiting BECAUSE THERE ISNT ONE!

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He was never at Bama. He was with Saban at LSU but Saban has made every DC looked good.
I screwed that up. Another good DC candidate is Derek Mason of Vandy after he gets fired following losing the Tennessee game. He did a great job as DC at Stanford

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It is what it is, I just posted it for reference sake not to support or condemn. O# are down, D# are up statistically, both are subject to the competition played.

Just need both to show up on the same day more often.

D played well enough up until Saturday...they even played well enough against Miami. I thought our offense has lagged behind the defense early in the season, but played well enough to win Saturday. Unfortunately, the defense picked a bad day to have their worst game of the year.

But what's being a GT fan if you have everything all the time?! :)

jeffgt14

"Only, Not Really, No it doesn't"
Where's the facts?
Ok.

Makes their Offense work harder. Not really just makes them more patient. - Where's the facts to prove any offense is working harder? They seem to move the ball pretty damn easily when they want to
Makes them stay on the field longer. Makes our D tired - Are you really going to argue this? It's the same reason why we do death marches
Creates opportunities for turnovers. No it doesn’t - We have 6 turnovers this year tied for 100th in the country. Half of them are unforced fumbles
Keeps teams from getting 10 yards on first down. Doesn’t matter if they pick it up anyways - We give up a 1st down on 3rd down 46% of the time (106th in the country)
Forces a lot of 3rd and Mediums. Only because teams attempt to run on 1 of the first 2 downs - There's not really a stat for this.
Forces a lot of Field goals. No it doesn’t - We've forced 9 FG's all year - Not that much different than anyone else.
Works well for the quality of Athletes we have on campus right now. No it doesn’t - We have athletes on D that can play in plenty of schemes
Apparently it does something right because Gentry Bonds and The Swillings want to play in it. (All 4 Stars BTW). Not because of Ted Roof’s scheme - Recruiting isn't necessarily about selling your scheme.

jeffgt14

Show me a D.C. out there willing to come to Tech that isn't under contract or that isn't about to get fired. I'll wait, and wait, and keep waiting BECAUSE THERE ISNT ONE!
Never said that nor have I advocated to fire Ted Roof. I think he needs to change something up because his defense is not good right now at all. I'd rather gamble and play guys that hustle and make plays (Tre Jackson!) than keep letting mediocre QB's pick us apart like it's a practice.