Ted Roof's job

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I screwed that up. Another good DC candidate is Derek Mason of Vandy after he gets fired following losing the Tennessee game. He did a great job as DC at Stanford

I can get behind this choice. You could tell Paul respects him by the way he took our foot off the gas against them. If it was the clown Franklin still coaching over there he'd have driven then into the ground.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Never said that nor have I advocated to fire Ted Roof. I think he needs to change something up because his defense is not good right now at all. I'd rather gamble and play guys that hustle and make plays (Tre Jackson!) than keep letting mediocre QB's pick us apart like it's a practice.
The Pitt game aside Ted has actually done a pretty good job. We were lucky the Clemson game didn't get worse than 26-7. Defense statistics, especially in the second half are good. I agree we do need to change up a few things but overall the defense has played better than serviceable up until Pitt. Also the tipped pass was a fluke. And the fluke turned the momentum.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we are very lucky to have Ted Roof here as a coach in any capacity. He could be coaching at LSU or many other places now but choose to stay at Tech. He has earned his stripes as a Georgia Tech football player, a GT graduate and through many years of coaching collegiate football. I think he is building a good defensive football team with what he has to work with. We are getting better despite the recent losses and I predict we will be a pretty good football team by year's end. We can build from there.

Go Jackets!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ok.

Makes their Offense work harder. Not really just makes them more patient. - Where's the facts to prove any offense is working harder? They seem to move the ball pretty damn easily when they want to
Makes them stay on the field longer. Makes our D tired - Are you really going to argue this? It's the same reason why we do death marches
Creates opportunities for turnovers. No it doesn’t - We have 6 turnovers this year tied for 100th in the country. Half of them are unforced fumbles
Keeps teams from getting 10 yards on first down. Doesn’t matter if they pick it up anyways - We give up a 1st down on 3rd down 46% of the time (106th in the country)
Forces a lot of 3rd and Mediums. Only because teams attempt to run on 1 of the first 2 downs - There's not really a stat for this.
Forces a lot of Field goals. No it doesn’t - We've forced 9 FG's all year - Not that much different than anyone else.
Works well for the quality of Athletes we have on campus right now. No it doesn’t - We have athletes on D that can play in plenty of schemes
Apparently it does something right because Gentry Bonds and The Swillings want to play in it. (All 4 Stars BTW). Not because of Ted Roof’s scheme - Recruiting isn't necessarily about selling your scheme.
Thanks for some numbers to support your position.

Our bend and sometimes don't break gets few turnovers. Without a practiced agressive defense we take ourselves further out of comebacks at end of game situations. The offense is by definition time consuming. If the defense plans to cede yards till they are near red zone that takes time as well.

To me seems like a good way to get good stats and keep your job -"damn we almost won that one."

If we play agressive defense would our 4* recruits go some where else=no.

If we dial it up D we will attract better recruits and the defense won't be so boring.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The Pitt game aside Ted has actually done a pretty good job. We were lucky the Clemson game didn't get worse than 26-7. Defense statistics, especially in the second half are good. I agree we do need to change up a few things but overall the defense has played better than serviceable up until Pitt. Also the tipped pass was a fluke. And the fluke turned the momentum.
At clemson game sure looked like the second half clemson was playing best players but calling safe plays. The qb really had bad distance control on wide open receivers going away. They were long but went towards sideline where there were no db. We leave giant areas over middle wide open due to soft coverage and rush. If teams need first down and will take a riskvl they can get it when ever.
In Miami game on the quick drive the wr broke over middle and the dB was 5+ yds off.
Help us if we play a passing qb!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Makes their Offense work harder. Makes them stay on the field longer. Creates opportunities for turnovers. Keeps teams from getting 10 yards on first down. Forces a lot of 3rd and Mediums. Forces a lot of Field goals. Works well for the quality of Athletes we have on campus right now. Apparently it does something right because Gentry Bonds and The Swillings want to play in it. (All 4 Stars BTW) ;)
Yea it's obviously showing ;)

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
At clemson game sure looked like the second half clemson was playing best players but calling safe plays. The qb really had bad distance control on wide open receivers going away. They were long but went towards sideline where there were no db. We leave giant areas over middle wide open due to soft coverage and rush. If teams need first down and will take a riskvl they can get it when ever.
In Miami game on the quick drive the wr broke over middle and the dB was 5+ yds off.
Help us if we play a passing qb!
Its going to be okay. I promise.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
#1 far and away thing that pisses me off. Outside of BC, every single 1st possession of the game by the other team has walked down the field and scored a TD pretty much without any effort whatsoever. If that ain't a way to say F U to your offense the start of every game I don't know what is.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
#1 far and away thing that pisses me off. Outside of BC, every single 1st possession of the game by the other team has walked down the field and scored a TD pretty much without any effort whatsoever. If that ain't a way to say F U to your offense the start of every game I don't know what is.
Which is why I loved Paul Electing to receive against Duh U. March down and get 7 and give our D some Momentum.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
"Only, Not Really, No it doesn't"
Where's the facts?
Where are your facts lol? The style D we play does not do well for the type of athletes we have. It's easy for offenses to read so you need superior athletes to over power the offense because it allows a lot of one on ones, that doesn't help our guys at all. I don't know where you are getting your info from. I have played with some very very good players and I'm pretty familiar with how football works, and this style D we play does not work for our athletes, it works for teams that have athletes like Bama. If it was so good why are the top defenses not running it?
It worked when he had the play makers... 2014.
our defense was awful lol turnovers aren't everything. We more than likely would have gone undefeated if we had a better D. What else were we good at besides turnovers?

Jmonty71

Banned
I think we are very lucky to have Ted Roof here as a coach in any capacity. He could be coaching at LSU or many other places now but choose to stay at Tech. He has earned his stripes as a Georgia Tech football player, a GT graduate and through many years of coaching collegiate football. I think he is building a good defensive football team with what he has to work with. We are getting better despite the recent losses and I predict we will be a pretty good football team by year's end. We can build from there.

Go Jackets!
He runs an outdated scheme. If we was so great, we'd held Pitt to under 30. You take the 2 inept offenses the the FCS school away, you have the true stats of our D. He can recruit, but he needs to learn some modern techniques. He runs a very vanilla 4-3. The type of defense I played in middle school. Heck, even my high school defense had more pre snap movement and mixed blitzes. Which is more that I can say for him. He may be a grad, may had been a good player, may be good a school with 4 and 5 star recruits. The issue is, he read and react defense takes big, strong, quick and fundamental people to run it. We have a few on our team that fit that mold.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Allowing a team to score on it's first possession in 5 straight games is one thing and one thing only....COACHING! We are not a well coached defensive football team, and Roof's position that he coaches LB's are even worse. It is time for a change, either in scheme (which I don't think will happen unless PJ takes over) or at DC. How about we just take back the $250K raise we gave Roof, use it to hire 2-3 more support staff, and make Andy Mac DC and Roof Recruiting Coordinator.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
He runs an outdated scheme. If we was so great, we'd held Pitt to under 30. You take the 2 inept offenses the the FCS school away, you have the true stats of our D. He can recruit, but he needs to learn some modern techniques. He runs a very vanilla 4-3. The type of defense I played in middle school. Heck, even my high school defense had more pre snap movement and mixed blitzes. Which is more that I can say for him. He may be a grad, may had been a good player, may be good a school with 4 and 5 star recruits. The issue is, he read and react defense takes big, strong, quick and fundamental people to run it. We have a few on our team that fit that mold.

Then do it for every other D1 team. You make some valid points but this isn't one of them.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The issue is, he read and react defense takes big, strong, quick and fundamental people to run it. We have a few on our team that fit that mold.

I think this is the problem really...

The scheme in and of itself is not bad...if you have really good athletes to run it. This models works well if you can get a lot of pressure with your front four and you have extremely athletic corners. I'm just not sure that describes our defense. Teams like Alabama can just line up like this and beat you with superior talent.

I think we'd be better suited mixing up the looks and confusing opposing QB's when we play passing teams, but reverting back to this system against traditional power running teams...yet still mixing in more looks on passing downs.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

Go Jackets!

Really? This is a serious question. I remember when Roof left Auburn for UCF (and then PSU) it was because he was about to be fired. It is my belief that Roof was kind of forced on PJ.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Really? This is a serious question. I remember when Roof left Auburn for UCF (and then PSU) it was because he was about to be fired. It is my belief that Roof was kind of forced on PJ.

By whom? I can believe he was forced to get a new DC, but who would have forced Roof on CPJ? Somehow I just don't see that.

I don't really care of Roof did well at other jobs or not. What I care about is the last 2-4 years of the defenses he has put on the field at GT. I can accept someone growing into a job/role. But our defenses, aside for 2014, have been horrid. AND EVEN IN 2014, IT ONLY TUEND AORUND AFTER SOMEONE (NOT SURE HWO) DECIDED TO GO TO A MORE ATTACKING DEFENSE. I believe the htinkming was our offense was so good that if we gave up a quick TD we could come down and score ourselves, so our best bet was to try to force turnovers. This happened after the losses to UNC and Duke. We became an attaching defense, and lo and behold, it worked!

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
By whom? I can believe he was forced to get a new DC, but who would have forced Roof on CPJ? Somehow I just don't see that.

I don't really care of Roof did well at other jobs or not. What I care about is the last 2-4 years of the defenses he has put on the field at GT. I can accept someone growing into a job/role. But our defenses, aside for 2014, have been horrid. AND EVEN IN 2014, IT ONLY TUEND AORUND AFTER SOMEONE (NOT SURE HWO) DECIDED TO GO TO A MORE ATTACKING DEFENSE. I believe the htinkming was our offense was so good that if we gave up a quick TD we could come down and score ourselves, so our best bet was to try to force turnovers. This happened after the losses to UNC and Duke. We became an attaching defense, and lo and behold, it worked!

It felt to me that the money for Roof was made contingent on who he hired and that PJ picked him to placate some booster or other. I'm quite certain that it's all in my head because I wanted PJ to pick a good DC for what I felt was his last opportunity to fix the defense. Instead we got a beloved alum who is at best a mediocre coach with no real track record of producing great defenses.