Ted Roof's job

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Cool. No worries. At a certain point, these kind of discussions often boil down to too many unknowns or too few equations. I'm less sympathetic to the arguments that it's talent when I've seen so many or our players make camps. I know that it doesn't make them all-conference, but it suggests to me that we should be better than the below average we've been.

I get it that others don't see it the same way.

I think the issue is the difference between year 1 talent and year 4-5 talent. We get very few impact freshmen. This year we hit a gold mine with Parker, Lee & Mills on offense, but it's rare that a T-Fr makes that kind of impact for us. We have been pretty good at developing talent, however. The main problem we face on D is the lack of developed talent, which goes back to that busted recruiting class in 2013. We have talented players, we just haven't gotten them to where we need them to be yet.

Jmonty71

Banned
Your reply just proved my point. You say you gave him credit, then immediately take that credit away.

We were "more aggressive" but they "clearly made mistakes" which was great because "Roof's style of play is outdated." Then you ask "Is VT's O line the worst in all the ACC? Is that why we all of the sudden did well?"

Again, no one is saying Roof is the best DC or that our defense is acceptable. We are asking that you give him a chance to get his DL established and see how he does. You've been unwilling since day 1 to cut him any slack, and at this point, it's almost comical.
Again, how long is too long? How long is not long enough? He's had 4 years. Give him, what? Another 4 years? There's patience and then there is just plain hoping. Not sure where most folks are.

Jmonty71

Banned
Not sure what "outdated" defense means. If you are talking about bend don't break then I would say that he is doing it out of necessity. I don't think Roof is a "bend don't break" guy like CPJ is an "option" guy.

If every one of our players were draft eligible at the end of the season, we would not have a player drafted. I would venture to guess that there aren't any good power 5 defenses where that is the case.
Not "bend but don't break". Believe it or not, a good many DCs, have that mindset. It's the pre snap movement, throwing different looks, doing things to cause confusion. I'm watching the Houston / Louisville game.. Houston is confusing Louisville and they are making mistakes.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Again, how long is too long? How long is not long enough? He's had 4 years. Give him, what? Another 4 years? There's patience and then there is just plain hoping. Not sure where most folks are.

Most of have said we will either see improvement or he needs to be gone after next year. That will give him one full set of recruited players to work with after inheriting a depleted 3-4 schemes talent and trying to make it work within his system.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not "bend but don't break". Believe it or not, a good many DCs, have that mindset. It's the pre snap movement, throwing different looks, doing things to cause confusion. I'm watching the Houston / Louisville game.. Houston is confusing Louisville and they are making mistakes.
As the game was winding down and houston was on defense they kept pressure on Louisville . At one point they took entire dl out , pass rushed 4 quick guys who looped around big ol guys and sacked qb. Pretty innovative !

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not on board with Roof if GT continues to play both safeties 10 to 15 yards back and running backwards at the snap every play.

Bring enough to get pressure and have them avoiding blocks from time to time.

Know where the 1st down line is when it is third down and play to stop the 1st down...not the keep everything in front. Or, mix up the 3rd down coverage from aggressive to conservative.

This is my minimum and I don't know anything about defense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am not on board with Roof if GT continues to play both safeties 10 to 15 yards back and running backwards at the snap every play.

Bring enough to get pressure and have them avoiding blocks from time to time.

Know where the 1st down line is when it is third down and play to stop the 1st down...not the keep everything in front. Or, mix up the 3rd down coverage from aggressive to conservative.

This is my minimum and I don't know anything about defense.

The first key to defense is knowing offense and u have that knowledge.

I agree we are too soft unless the offense sucks.

I am most disturbed by roof's lack of alignments that are decoys . we line up like we are alabama.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think the issue is the difference between year 1 talent and year 4-5 talent. We get very few impact freshmen. This year we hit a gold mine with Parker, Lee & Mills on offense, but it's rare that a T-Fr makes that kind of impact for us. We have been pretty good at developing talent, however. The main problem we face on D is the lack of developed talent, which goes back to that busted recruiting class in 2013. We have talented players, we just haven't gotten them to where we need them to be yet.

What do you mean that we have been pretty good at developing talent? Kallon was a 4* and Rook was a high 3*, and both have been starters on our DL but have lost playing time to So's and Fr's. Our DBs are 2 Juniors, a RS Jr and a So who was a Parade all-American. We're not rolling out freshmen on D.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I expected us to suck at D this year due to 4 new secondary guys + 2 new LBs + no gotsis +no established pass rusher.

BUT---I also expected us to improve as the year went on. It seems though like we went backwards instead of forwards. That is what disappointed me the most.

Not sure what to make of the VT game. We looked more disciplined and tackled better against VT. Guys stayed at home and didn't bite on all the eye candy. Griffin and Gray were very active, as was PJ Davis. DL got more pressure than any other game this year. VT offense obviously didn't have their best game. Cooling their heels on the sideline for massive chunks of time had to have helped keep them out of a rhythm. We also had things break our way some which was refreshing.

Whatever we did it seemed to work better. Why that is and why we couldn't have been doing it earlier is a fair question. Whenever there is a long, spirited debate on a topic IMO there is usually some truth on both sides. Woe be to to those who might point such a thing out though! People tend to abstract and polarize. I suppose it's human nature.

Jmonty71

Banned
The first key to defense is knowing offense and u have that knowledge.

I agree we are too soft unless the offense sucks.

I am most disturbed by roof's lack of alignments that are decoys . we line up like we are alabama.
Yep, been saying that for 3 years now.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
We routinely rank in the low 50s in recruiting. NCST is in the high 30s low 40s normally. Nebraska is generally on the edge of the top 25.

uga isn't capitalized.
Has anyone ever broken down recruiting rankings between the offense and defense? I'd like to see how our guys on that side of the ball compare to other defenses.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok, so Charlie Strong's Longhorns just lost to Kansas for the first time since Hitler decided to invade Poland. Assuming he's out of there as head coach (he was already on the hot seat) maybe he'd be a cheap DC in the market? I love the idea of a GT man being on the coaching staff but I'm not sure Roof is meeting expectations.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Strong will wind up as HC somewhere. I doubt he's interested in taking a step back as a DC. He doesn't need the money. Not saying he's a great hire but some AD will bite

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Roof is a bend but dont break DC, look at his time with GOL. I just dont think that works with todays QBs if given time they make completions.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ok, so Charlie Strong's Longhorns just lost to Kansas for the first time since Hitler decided to invade Poland. Assuming he's out of there as head coach (he was already on the hot seat) maybe he'd be a cheap DC in the market? I love the idea of a GT man being on the coaching staff but I'm not sure Roof is meeting expectations.

Charlie Strong will be a HC again soon. Even if he decides to step back to DC, he wouldn't be cheap.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@TheSilasSonRising

He hasn't always had the $$ to get the guys he wanted.

2 good games by the D. Not great but good. Good enough to typically get a W. What I was afraid was a bad downward trend, for the season on D, ended up being more of a mid season slump, crashing at a dreadful low vs UNC.

We need better play from the O and D next week or getting the W will be dicey. I loved the game in 14 but I'd really, really, prefer a comfortable - not in doubt W - this time vs another nail bighter.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
@TheSilasSonRising

He hasn't always had the $$ to get the guys he wanted.

2 good games by the D. Not great but good. Good enough to typically get a W. What I was afraid was a bad downward trend, for the season on D, ended up being more of a mid season slump, crashing at a dreadful low vs UNC.

We need better play from the O and D next week or getting the W will be dicey. I loved the game in 14 but I'd really, really, prefer a comfortable - not in doubt W - this time vs another nail bighter.
This. Beat the hell out of those bastards and have a wonderful weekend.THWg!