Ted Roof's job

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We also use our number 1/2 offense vs number 1/2 defense in passing skels, 7v7, and other drills. When we scrimmage in Spring and Fall, we will also have our number 1 offense run some sets for the defense, and we often run our base D against our O (rather than scheming against our O) in order to train gap discipline and eyes etc.

TIFWIW: Navy just defended Houston's passing attack better than anyone else this year. Army just defended Duke's passing attack better than anyone else this year.

Navy gets all credit for winning the game but they did give up 484 yards (359 yards passing). Army played Duke in the middle of a hurricane so I would suggest Mother Nature did a better job of defending Duke's passing attack than Army did :)

That is not to give our guys an excuse or anything. But the Academies really don't have the athletes to defend a good P5 offense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but roof has had enough time, I'm not doubting his recruiting because I think he is a very good recruiter, but he hasn't done much as a D coordinator at any other school, so why do you think he will with GT? The issue imo is our scheme, to run what we have you need Alabama type talent and size, it calls you to win the one on one battles and when the other team have superior athletes on offense that's not going to happen often. We don't have the size to run this style D imo.
What makes you think we have the guys right now to run any scheme well?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What makes you think we have the guys right now to run any scheme well?
You have a valid point lol but I do believe the type of players we have now would be better fit for a 4-3 with a very aggresive style rather than a 3-4. We just haven't seen that because of what we run but this is just my opinion.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
A lot of the Ted Roof critics are not accurately reporting the facts of his record as a defensive coordinator. He was the DC at Auburn when they won a National Championship, he had a great defense at Minnesota and at Penn State with Bill O'Brien. He is building a solid defense here at Tech. He was offered the DC position at LSU just in the past year or so. Do you think LSU would hire someone incompetent to lead their storied defense?

I guess the purpose of message boards is to give so called fans an outlet to express their opinions. It's unfortunate so many of those opinions are uninformed.

Go Jackets!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Please stop on all this coach job stuff till we return from to Athens.
A couple good games and then a couple bad games are likely.
I hope we have a major signiture win to demonstrate that coach has fixed the offense and roof has built a a foundation.
20160917_124346.jpg

We did ok last year save a few plays.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Please stop on all this coach job stuff till we return from to Athens.
A couple good games and then a couple bad games are likely.
I hope we have a major signiture win to demonstrate that coach has fixed the offense and roof has built a a foundation.
View attachment 1939
We did ok last year save a few plays.
Hate to bump this thread but must correct something
We played ok LAST WEEK......
NOT LAST YEAR.

(LAST YEAR WAS A ......).

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
A lot of the Ted Roof critics are not accurately reporting the facts of his record as a defensive coordinator. He was the DC at Auburn when they won a National Championship, he had a great defense at Minnesota and at Penn State with Bill O'Brien. He is building a solid defense here at Tech. He was offered the DC position at LSU just in the past year or so. Do you think LSU would hire someone incompetent to lead their storied defense?

I guess the purpose of message boards is to give so called fans an outlet to express their opinions. It's unfortunate so many of those opinions are uninformed.

Go Jackets!

I live in Alabama, therefore some of my best friends are Auburn grads and fans, and they couldn't wait to get rid of Ted Roof. They finally have a good defense this year after several years of crap after Ted. He's not a good DC. Stick your head in the sand if you want.

Jmonty71

Banned

Go Jackets!
There is a difference in uninformed and just plain not smart. Roof cannot play the style of defense that he likes with what he has. You mentioned football factories. Of course, they get higher talented kids. Sorry, the proof is in the numbers. No proof Roof is not the saint you think he is.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I live in Alabama, therefore some of my best friends are Auburn grads and fans, and they couldn't wait to get rid of Ted Roof. They finally have a good defense this year after several years of crap after Ted. He's not a good DC. Stick your head in the sand if you want.

I also live in AL and he was terrible.
He is part of the problem.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
ONE of the BIG def problems that few people bring up is the Offense we run .They(our def) sees the this special RUNNING attack A LOT.They get use to this offense and players..It is very different than most Os we play against.Also, we don't have a either top passers nor top WRs so they don't practice vs the pass attacks other teams bring.Our answer to passes is to sit in a soft zone and HOPE they miss.Good luck.We are giving up about 70% completion and getting zip INTs. Of course not having a rush hurts also.

The scheme on O didn't hurt GSU defense any. Didn't seem to hurt the D at Navy. Why is it different here?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I'm sick of watching this crap. Especially watching us get eaten alive by teams that don't even out recruit us. It's ridiculous. He's never been a good defensive coordinator. Awful hire by Paul and I've hated it from the beginning. We score 34 and limit possessions and we lose? Come on.

my guess is you havnet liked any of cpj's hires? an honest question!

you do have to remember fb does not come first at gt. if you want a great fb team and meh on the academics you are rooting for the wrong school. increase the recruiting support staff to over 10 and we will start getting the players we need to maintain a top 30 program in my opinion.

Last edited:

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
my guess is you havnet liked any of cpj's hires? an honest question!

you do have to remember fb does not come first.
I'm sorry but roof has had enough time, I'm not doubting his recruiting because I think he is a very good recruiter, but he hasn't done much as a D coordinator at any other school, so why do you think he will with GT? The issue imo is our scheme, to run what we have you need Alabama type talent and size, it calls you to win the one on one battles and when the other team have superior athletes on offense that's not going to happen often. We don't have the size to run this style D imo.

"but he hasn't done much as a D coordinator at any other school,"

at least be honest....

" This past season, Roof served as defensive coordinator under another former Georgia Tech assistant coach, Bill O'Brien. The Nittany Lions exceeded all expectations by posting an 8-4 record. Roof's defense ranked second in the Big Ten Conference in scoring defense (19.1 ppg), first in sacks (34), first in red-zone defense and third in turnover margin. "

spacer.gif

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

at least be honest....

" This past season, Roof served as defensive coordinator under another former Georgia Tech assistant coach, Bill O'Brien. The Nittany Lions exceeded all expectations by posting an 8-4 record. Roof's defense ranked second in the Big Ten Conference in scoring defense (19.1 ppg), first in sacks (34), first in red-zone defense and third in turnover margin. "

spacer.gif

Move along, nothing to see here, he did it all with other people's talent, those players were already programmed and didn't need to be coached, no mid game adjustments we're needed.....nothing to see here....move along.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
BINGO.

tell me again how our recently restructured staff of FOUR competes with staffs that have 30 as far as recruiting support goes? i am all ears.

You do realize gailey had a staff of one for those same positions. And fielded top 30 defenses almost every year.

So either tenuta was a far better coach.

Or somehow, with less staff, gailey out recruited paul.

So which do you think it is? I am not saying gailey was a great coach. But its undeniable his defenses were far far better. And its fact with less recruiting staff. All fact so u tell me which it is. How did we recruit so well then with less staff? Or maybe. The defensive coaching was better.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

at least be honest....

spacer.gif
He inherited a Deffense that was already good, it's not like he was the one that built that defense up and originally coached the kids up, the defensive coordinator before him did that imo. There's obviously a reason he did that there but hasn't at other places imo, and the reason is what I said above. Penn state had a better defense the year before he came. So I am being honest....I don't see what he has done, if it was him that did so good at penn state shouldn't he be able to do that at other schools? Maybe I should rephrase my question to, what has roof done and built up himself?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
GSU from 15 yrs ago in D2? Navy?--who says it doesn't effect their def?

A little too incoherent to respond to. But I'll give it a go. You made a previous assertion. I cited the two prior places it was utilized and did not have the affect you asserted. So why is it different at Tech?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
A little too incoherent to respond to. But I'll give it a go. You made a previous assertion. I cited the two prior places it was utilized and did not have the affect you asserted. So why is it different at Tech?

Well done in using "affect" instead of "effect" to highlight that ala did the opposite. Grammar Ninja.