Ted Roof's job

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I'm sick of watching this crap. Especially watching us get eaten alive by teams that don't even out recruit us. It's ridiculous. He's never been a good defensive coordinator. Awful hire by Paul and I've hated it from the beginning. We score 34 and limit possessions and we lose? Come on.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Well, I understand your frustration but this is really on the players. They don't tackle, play pass defense or half the time they look like they are out of position. We have defensive backs that are not power 5 level players and the linebackers are about as sorry.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well, I understand your frustration but this is really on the players. They don't tackle, play pass defense or half the time they look like they are out of position. We have defensive backs that are not power 5 level players and the linebackers are about as sorry.

How is it their fault that CPJ offered them a ship?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It isn't the LBs or DBs. They're ok. Our problem is generating a pass rush. We haven't down much of that and we need to get on it. I'd start playing young Adams and Glanton more and see what happens.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
One stop and a turnover on a botched play. They scored 4 TDs and 3 field goals on the remaining drives. You can't look at scoring defense for our teams since we have so few drives per game. We haven't forced a turnover since the Vanderbilt game. I just don't know whether it's Roof's fault or recruiting, but we're just not getting it done. The only playmakers I see on defense are Simmons and Gamble. Secondary and linebackers are routinely getting beat. Again, is that because they're limited in their ability to play or because they're not coached properly? I don't know. Even if we do fire Roof, who do we hire?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
How is it their fault that CPJ offered them a ship?
Nah, I am just letting off steam. There is fault all the way around. I did think the offense played very well against a pretty good defense. I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement on perimeter blocking and the pass protection was pretty good as well. Just need more stops somehow, someway. I really think Roof needs to change his philosophy and go for broke. What we are doing now is not working.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
One stop and a turnover on a botched play. They scored 4 TDs and 3 field goals on the remaining drives. You can't look at scoring defense for our teams since we have so few drives per game. We haven't forced a turnover since the Vanderbilt game. I just don't know whether it's Roof's fault or recruiting, but we're just not getting it done. The only playmakers I see on defense are Simmons and Gamble. Secondary and linebackers are routinely getting beat. Again, is that because they're limited in their ability to play or because they're not coached properly? I don't know. Even if we do fire Roof, who do we hire?
I personally believe it is a talent issue. Although the defensive philosophy of bend don't break is not my cup of tea I understand Roof's reluctance to blitz but something has to change.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My personal opinion is that if Roof goes down then CPJ goes down as well. He has had enough chances to hire a quality DC. Either he is making awful hires one after another or we simply aren't recruiting well enough that any DC could succeed with them. Either way, it seems to be a problem at the top. I say this as a CPJ supporter.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have hated our defense under Roof for a long time now and posted about this after last week's game. On 3rd and 9 we sit in a prevent and don't apply any pressure, their QB has all day and picks out the TE for the long TD. If I were CPJ I would also have gone for it on 4th down because our D is so poor you could not count on them to hold with 1:40 left.

Ultimately, this is GT football, and as long as we all accept it (or call for simple changes like firing Roof or CPJ), nothing will really change. Those who think a coaching change will make a dramatic difference make me....well, I can't decide whether to laugh or cry. Other than 2014, we simply haven't been a competitive program with the big boys for 15 years now, and our fate is 7-5 or 6-6 or maybe, if we win a game like this one, 8-4. But we lose it and we are 6-6 or 7-5 at beat.

Folks, it is indeed the commitment that CPJ talked about, and I am still baffled as to why so many GT supporters were offended by what he said.

Edited to add-while I intensely dislike Roof's defensive style, I do not delude myself...we just don't have the players. Tenuta in his prime would entertain me more, but I am not at all convinced we would have any more wins with his style defense. Same with changing from CPJ's offense. We just don't have the players...

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
We needed that one badly, there is a big difference between potentially being 4-3, or 5-2. Conference games are always huge, especially when it is a team in your division. With that being said, I think if the D makes even minimal improvements, we will beat GS, UVA, and dook. I think we can also take one of VT, UNC, ugag. 7-5 plus a favorable bowl matchup could leave us at 8-5, in which case both Roof and CPJ would most likely come back.

Would everyone here agree we are undersized on defense?
Then explain why the crap anyone would think we can run a vanilla standard defense. We have athletes they make plays but not when their abilities are being utilized in a scheme that does not fit.