Ted Roof's job

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Southern and Duke are not guaranteed wins. Especially Duke. TECH could lose ever game left on the schedule. The loss Saturday hurt. Next Saturday is scary.
Yea we could lose every game but we could also win every game.

We should beat GA southern, duke, and Virginia. Tar Heel game should be a shoot out. VT will probably be the toughest, and UGA should be a close game. We could end up any where from 6-6 to 9-3 of course I think the 9-3 is unlikely and we will probably be around 7-5.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yea we could lose every game but we could also win every game.

We should beat GA southern, duke, and Virginia. Tar Heel game should be a shoot out. VT will probably be the toughest, and UGA should be a close game. We could end up any where from 6-6 to 9-3 of course I think the 9-3 is unlikely and we will probably be around 7-5.

I fear you are an optimist. I think VT will be a lopsided loss (much like their win over UNC yesterday, but not as bad since we limit possessions). I think the real question is whether we can beat Uva at home. I see 5-7 as a distinct possibility unless we do something to turn our defense around. Our offense is not generally a problem, but our defense will lose us every competitive game (UNC, UGa, and there is risk with UVa and Duke even). I do think we are safe with a W over Ga Southern, and I do think an L is all but guaranteed against VT.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I fear you are an optimist. I think VT will be a lopsided loss (much like their win over UNC yesterday, but not as bad since we limit possessions). I think the real question is whether we can beat Uva at home. I see 5-7 as a distinct possibility unless we do something to turn our defense around. Our offense is not generally a problem, but our defense will lose us every competitive game (UNC, UGa, and there is risk with UVa and Duke even). I do think we are safe with a W over Ga Southern, and I do think an L is all but guaranteed against VT.
I didn't say we would keep VT close but I do believe if we came out and played really good on offense we could win, that's if we limited errors. As far as the other games and the way we played Pitt and Miami I have no reason to think we can't beat any of the other teams. If I had to guess we would end up being 7-5 like I said in the other post with a loss to VT and another to either UNC or UGA, I don't see how that's being optimistic though.

Jmonty71

Banned
Yes most would like to see a more aggressive defense. But we run the bend but don't break. The problem is we are doing great at the bend part, but have trouble with the don't break part. We seem to not being doing the don't part of the don't break part. Hence what we have they we run is the bend and brake.
By mixing the base 4-3 with 20% or so blitzes, that fixes a lot. Part of defense I'd deception or "smoke and mirrors ". You see none of that. I see the same scheme over and over. I see no attack in the dogs on the field. At some point, you got to give the players teeth to bite. Playing a prevent style nickel, only costs us games. Pitt was a perfect example of bad game calling and a bad system. We need a DC with a modern system and who can light a fire under our team.

Jmonty71

Banned
I didn't say we would keep VT close but I do believe if we came out and played really good on offense we could win, that's if we limited errors. As far as the other games and the way we played Pitt and Miami I have no reason to think we can't beat any of the other teams. If I had to guess we would end up being 7-5 like I said in the other post with a loss to VT and another to either UNC or UGA, I don't see how that's being optimistic though.
I feel that we need to play nearly to perfection, to win 7 games. Our offense needs to score a TD on every possession, otherwise, it's a game that can be lost. Other than GA Southern, we won't hold any team to under 20.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
By mixing the base 4-3 with 20% or so blitzes, that fixes a lot. Part of defense I'd deception or "smoke and mirrors ". You see none of that. I see the same scheme over and over. I see no attack in the dogs on the field. At some point, you got to give the players teeth to bite. Playing a prevent style nickel, only costs us games. Pitt was a perfect example of bad game calling and a bad system. We need a DC with a modern system and who can light a fire under our team.

So i dont know what is a modern d system in your mind. But everything above that i agree with.

It would be nice to run a confusing system 4-3 that mike zimmer runs. It masks blitzes and some coverages and has alot of similarities that tenuta had with maybe a little more variety in backend zone, tenuta basically played cover 3. It uses an all man on the line look so the ol doesnt know who is coming or dropping.

Roof runs a system personally i cant identify with and SA at tech that post on this board have said the same. It has no philosophy to it. Man i cant believe we are paying him 750 a year. What a robbery

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Looks like we have carried over our personality trait of playing to keep it close and hoping to pull it out at the end. That usually leads to losing to better teams and leaving lesser teams hanging around with a chance to beat you at the end. At this point 6 and 6 is probably realistic, 9 and 3 is a pipe dream and 3 and 9 is a remote possibility. I am hoping our guys develop more of a killer instinct and raise their level of play going forward rather than just holding the line and hoping for the best.

Go Jackets!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping our guys develop more of a killer instinct and raise their level of play going forward rather than just holding the line and hoping for the best.

Go Jackets!

Surely you mean the coaches and not the players. I think the players would welcome a chance to play an attacking style defense.

I honestly just wonder what is wrong with the coaches.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
So i dont know what is a modern d system in your mind. But everything above that i agree with.

It would be nice to run a confusing system 4-3 that mike zimmer runs. It masks blitzes and some coverages and has alot of similarities that tenuta had with maybe a little more variety in backend zone, tenuta basically played cover 3. It uses an all man on the line look so the ol doesnt know who is coming or dropping.

Roof runs a system personally i cant identify with and SA at tech that post on this board have said the same. It has no philosophy to it. Man i cant believe we are paying him 750 a year. What a robbery

George Edwards is part of his coaching staff (DC I think). I was impressed with him at Florida, but I doubt he would come back to college as a DC. Perhaps Adam Zimmer, who is also on the staff.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Paul is in control of this program, yes? He's the one that allocates what players play on what side of the ball, yes? Paul is the one that has hired his staff, yes? The defense at Tech unlike any defense on any other team we play has to prepare for about 5 different types of offenses. Every ACC team except Lvilille knows what is coming and for the last two years have figured it out. Tech's offense is scaring NOBODDY. Hell Mercer held their own against the great wing t we run. Do you think tech's defense get a good look at other teams offense by playing a scout team comprised of wing t personal? Do you think Paul has any say in the defense at Tech? Speaking of waste of money, Paul is stealing everyday while he's on the job.

No easier way to ID yourself as a fan with an agenda than to refer to our O as the Wing-T, so thanks for that. Yeah, we've lost 3 games, Clemson we got whooped but we were taking it to Miami until the back-to-back defensive TDs (JT never should have been in that second series...he was holding his left arm still tight to his body after the sack, no surprise he couldn't pitch it left handed 2 plays later) and Pitt we outplayed on offense (and they have a helluva stable of RBs too, but their defense is what won the day). In short, your opinion is factually incorrect.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not hard to figure this one out - NO PASS RUSH - DL and LB's (front 7) have no impact players, and I agree that I don't believe any of them could start for another P5 team, and in some cases, they might not start for teams outside of the P5. Until we improve the D up front, nothing will change except formations and strategies, and all of those will still be exposed.

All of you blaming the DB's better understand that without impact players in your front 7, there are extremely FEW teams that could cover the WR's and TE's and RB's that exist on most P5 teams. The complete lack of a pass rush forces us to play the way we do hoping for a mistake. Even when we send 5-6 guys, they don't usually get close, and the DB's are in BIG trouble.

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.....that is it....for GT, it does not have to be great, but it needs to be better than below average for these areas of the team.....

Last edited:

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Our DL is not the best in the country, but they have held their own this year. Gamble typically gets double teamed, which should give the D a +1 advantage.

IMO if you are going to play with 2 high safeties, you should allow your underneath cover guys to be aggressive and rely on the safeties if they get beat.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The D is just bad in general. They play the run very well but we literally give them 7 yards every time they want to throw. The majority of our stops this year have been dropped passes or a stuffed run on 3rd and short. I have more faith in our D stopping a 3rd and 2 than a 3rd and 10 just because the other team may decide to run.

Pitt had a 1st and 25 and we played the next 2 downs for the sole purpose of creating a 3rd and 8 to try and stop them there. 1st and 25 is your opportunity to bring some heat and force them to throw long for an incompletion or possible turnover. The only thing you should even worry about on a 1st and 25 is a screen pass but your D should know to watch for that ahead of time. 2nd and 25 is where you give up an 8 yard out. Not 1st.

We all knew it was coming. We don’t even have to watch film throughout the week and we know that if it’s 1st and 25 you’re almost guaranteed to get 10 of it back on an out route. It wasn’t even a hesitation for Pitt. They’re like “oh well a couple penalties, it’s basically just like having an incompletion on 1st down.”