Ted Roof's job

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
So was he on the sideline or upstairs Saturday? I thought I saw before the game that he was going to be in the box, but it sure looked like him that I saw on the field a couple of times during the game. Which was it?

Second half he was clearly up in the box. With about 3:30 left in the 3rd the camera showed him up there.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I have to say, after listening to Johnson's post game presser, I logged in here and saw this thread, and just for a minute, I thought maybe there had been a change. It was as frustrated as I've ever heard Johnson, and leads me to believe we may be getting to that point

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I have to say, after listening to Johnson's post game presser, I logged in here and saw this thread, and just for a minute, I thought maybe there had been a change. It was as frustrated as I've ever heard Johnson, and leads me to believe we may be getting to that point
I think this current recruiting class is gonna save his rear....at least for 1 more year.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Just watched the replay of the defense on that TD at the end of the 3rd. We were very out of position. Mitchell to me seems way far right of where he should be lined up. If we were further over he would have had a chance to make a play. Griffin got sucked in too much to the inside due to the WR heading towards the inside.

Jmonty71

Banned
I say this.

1. The defense seems to have a lack of leadership. There is no synergy on how they perform.
2. The defense looks like a cluster of errors, at times. While, I'm happy to see the pre snap movement. I thought we should of faked blitzes, just to get the QB to think a slant was open.
3. The defense should really mix coverages up against UNC. They need to assign a OLB to Bucky at VT, so we don't get ripped by a TE again.
4. The D line needs to work on 2 things. Spin moves and outside bull rush tactics. I seems our D line just takes up blocks to let our LBs do the work. And, yes...that does work. IF you have the ball hawking speedy LB's to do it with.
and last
5. The mere fact the AJ Gray gets his name and number called during a game is NOT a good thing. He is a safety. I rather have a LB or D lineman have their name called, a lot.

Out of all these concerns, the first one probably weighs the heaviest. Has anyone really picked a leader out on the defense? I haven't

slugboy

Staff member
I'm going to have to go back and look. I haven't seen a defensive film room in a while, though (https://gtswarm.com/forums/georgia-tech-football.4/?prefix_id=12), and it'd be nice to look again.
I've seen people quote stats and FEI. We do look horrible there (#100, behind Ga Southern and Pittsburgh and Duke). We've been in the bottom half of division 1/BCS/whatever they call it football for the last 8 years. We seem to be worse this year than even last by the stats.
I thought we were getting marginally better on the D-line, but possibly regressing at linebacker and the defensive backfield.
I don't want to say "I'd love to see a 'GT vs. Duke Offense" film room study, but I'd have a hard time checking my beliefs without really watching something recent.
I don't think we've been "good" on defense since Tenuta. Not that he was a perfect coach, but we weren't in the bottom half of major football.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Pat Gamble is one of the team captains and by default should be the leader. To me, I have always thought that PJ Davis is the emotional leader of the defense. I think him being out is having a significant impact on some of the emotional and communications issues of the defense. I always like to see the middle linebacker as the leader on D. That's the way it used to be and I am old school when it comes to that.

Go Jackets!

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
For everyone saying the first half was better - go back and watch the first half. We were just as out of position and lost, except Dook was shooting itself in the foot. The second half looked better for them cause they just started executing.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
For everyone saying the first half was better - go back and watch the first half. We were just as out of position and lost, except Dook was shooting itself in the foot. The second half looked better for them cause they just started executing.

We made them punt twice and turned them over on downs twice as well. Not sure I would agree the defense wasn't playing better. Second half we made them punt once. They fumbled twice, same thing happened to us in the second half. I don't take those away from the D.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
We made them punt twice and turned them over on downs twice as well. Not sure I would agree the defense wasn't playing better. Second half we made them punt once. They fumbled twice, same thing happened to us in the second half. I don't take those away from the D.
That's not the point I was making - WE didn't make them do much in first half. They just had TEs drop balls or the QB was off target. Tonight I'll go back and watch and list what I'm talking about. I made the comment to my dad while watching live that if Dook just settled down and made the plays that were there we were in trouble in second half.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That's not the point I was making - WE didn't make them do much in first half. They just had TEs drop balls or the QB was off target. Tonight I'll go back and watch and list what I'm talking about. I made the comment to my dad while watching live that if Dook just settled down and made the plays that were there we were in trouble in second half.
Please note if the wr te are more wide open in second half than the first. it seems like we actually cover less when we give cushion.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

You stated that we were just as confused in the first half as the second half. That doesn't have anything to do with the TE dropping balls or the QB missing targets. Our guys could still be in good position and then miss a throw or drop a pass. Sure Duke executed better in the second half than the first but still that doesn't mean our guys were out of position. I get what you are saying. I'm just trying to say you don't get a turnover on downs in which you stop two running plays back to back by being confused. I just don't think our guys were that out of position in the first half. Second half yes. I think a lot of the D mishaps were due to a lack of senior leadership. Someone didn't get the troops all in line. I didn't watch the long run again to see if we were just not there or they had a good play call for our defensive alignment. You must really like horror shows if you wanna rewatch it on Halloween.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/ge...ge-problem-ted-roof-bend-dont-break-fei-stats

I should clarify, too, that the issue here isn't personnel or talent -- it's scheme. That likely won't come as a shock to many, but in case you're the type who thinks that recruiting to that side of the ball is causing the issues, let me explain.

To me a bunch of those metrics fall on both the personnel and scheme. Sacks and the havoc metrics in particular will be one of those stats that have this two depth variable. I'd be interested to see what percent of defensive play calls were blitzes. Probably very low. That deals with scheme. But when your LBs are too slow to defend a TE that deals with personnel. The author also talks about going nuts if One of the Austin twins lines up on Howard. Once again, that's a scheme and personnel issue. It's a mixed bag of nuts. I like looking at ACC only football stats to see how we have compared. VPI is leading the league but take away the monsoon game with UNC and their stats look a lot more average. Even BCs ACC only stats are only a smudge better than ours except TDs and ypg. They have seen only 4 more plays per game then us as well.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how anybody thinks Roof is doing a good job. He should be fired today. This is the worst scheme and worst coached defense I have ever seen. On top of that he is the linebacker coach as well. Did any of you see any linebackers on the field today. What a joke. I'll give you a perfect example. In the 3rd quarter they are starting to hit us up the middle on runs. What does our dumb DC do? He takes his 2 LB's and lines them up on the edge leaving the middle wide open. All day long our DB's line up 8 yards off then on the snap retreat another 5-10 yards. This guy is clueless.