Ted Roof's job

Jmonty71

Banned
So everyone knows by now that I am against Roof as DC. I appreciate his passion for GT and he is a solid recruiter. However, he is in over his head as DC and his schemes don't work here. That being said, it looks like Charles Kelly will be available after this season. I'd hire him in a heartbeat and make him DC and DB's coach. Fire Joe Speed and keep Roof on staff as LB coach and Recruiting Coordinator. Obviously Roof would have to take a pay cut but if he loves GT he will. Kelly would be a huge upgrade as a position coach and recruiter over Joe Speed.
Agree. I think Roof can recruit, he just runs an outdated system. He doesn't really put folks into position to make plays. We don't have the size and speed to chase people down. Inoted you see people blaming players for being too slow or taking bad angles. The execution was poor. The blitzes looked horrible. The coverage was bad. Yet, somehow, I see people laying blame on players, not the coach. I find that laughable.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I sincerely doubt anyone would take a demotion and a pay cut unless they really had NO other options. My only fear with actually firing Roof is we seem to have some decent talent on the way in with next year's recruiting class (3 4 star defensive plays committed, iirc). On the other hand, I am sick and tired of watching his defense fail.

How long do our defensive coaches keep trying the same things over and over before they give up and try something different? We just played an offense that was #98 in the nation going into yesterday's game. This wasn't Vince Lombardi's Packers offense, folks. They were well above their season average in both rushing yards per play and passing yards per play against us. My issues with our defense are :
  1. we almost never disguise our defenses. We are seldom jumping around and moving players pre-snap. We have started to do a little bit of that with 1-2 players, but we need to do MUCH more of that. Have 4-5 guys jumping around pre-snap and changing positions and faking blitzes etc. We are simply far too easy to beat when we are easy to read;
  2. we MUST selectively be more aggressive. I don't think you can blitz on every play, and I see why Roof is afraid to blitz. I watched calmly on a 3rd down from our 20 or so when we blitzed, they picked it up (see #1) and their QB picked out their WR 10 yards downfield. Our DB in one-on-one coverage was a step slow, missed the pass, and their WR turned upfield and stroll into the end zone for a TD. Yeah, I see that problem. But we again are just way to easy to beat when we play vanilla. We HAVE to be more aggressive. We will get burned on a few of those blitzes, but we will also get some stops. Maybe even force a punt or two!
  3. we finally got to see Lewis at LB. For the life of me, I fail to see why we aren't playing Adams more on the DL. Yes, I know he likely isn't in condition to play multiple plays in a row. Yes, he has little or no pass rush. Yes, he isn't as quick side to side as our other D linemen. BUT, he is a rock in the middle of the line. He stops QB sneaks at the goal line in their tracks for no gain while the rest of our D line is getting pushed off the LOS by 2 yards (at least). Playing him more would have stopped their rushing attack MUCH more effectively, and maybe even would allow our LB's to me more relaxed about the run and more focused dont he pass;
  4. our defensive concept seems to be to use our D linemen to occupy the blockers and allow our LBs to run to the play and make stops. This can work just fine if you have LBs who are really fast and good. The reason the TE is always open is that our LBs are so focused on stopping the run (because that is their assignment) and as such they take one step into the line every play and thus the TE is a step past them by the time they react. The scheme needs to change. Give Adams a chance as a run stopper and focus the LBs more on pass defense.
  5. in 2014, Roof went to (was ordered to go to?) a very aggressive defensive style and it worked out with more turnovers. I don't think that defense had significantly better players. I think the scheme was better. That Roof will not imply that again is, imho, the biggest indictment of him as a D Coordinator. Let's see...what you're doing now isn't working...what you didi back in 2014 worked nicely.....so let's keep doing what we're doing now. Really? REALLY?

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I'm getting concerned that Roof won't be fired because of the D recruits we have coming in next year.

Edited to add, my enthusiasm for said recruits isn't very high since Roof will still be calling his same old passive scheme.

Jmonty71

Banned
As for the fix? I liked seeing pre snap movement. However; I would liked to see blitzes faked too. When we showed blitz, Duke checked to a different play. Roof should of rotated, which he did late in the game, and changed the defense. I think you need to light a fire under the D and let them go at it. I think they play timid. Part of that is the coach. As a defense, we rarely attack. The DL lines up, takes blockers and gets pushed around. Would like to see them work the gaps. The LBs and DL, still fails to work together. The DL does nothing to open up holes for the LVs. Our DBs are better than you think. Just the other QB receives no pressure.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm not against or for Roof. But with that said he needs to try something different. To keep doing the same thing after it doesn't work is not smart. If the players can't do what you want try someone else. When you have to use timeouts because a player didn't see or cover a WR that is bad coaching or a player which does listen.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That being said, it looks like Charles Kelly will be available after this season. I'd hire him in a heartbeat and make him DC and DB's coach.. Kelly would be a huge upgrade as a position coach and recruiter over Joe Speed.

I don't understand how a guy who got fired with FSU's athletes would be successful at GT at the same position. Can you explain why you think he would be succeed here?

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand how a guy who got fired with FSU's athletes would be successful at GT at the same position. Can you explain why you think he would be succeed here?
Agree.
and:
Johnson has never hesitated about firing coaches who ignore him.

The Swillings are coming to GT to play for "Uncle Ted".

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So everyone knows by now that I am against Roof as DC. I appreciate his passion for GT and he is a solid recruiter. However, he is in over his head as DC and his schemes don't work here. That being said, it looks like Charles Kelly will be available after this season. I'd hire him in a heartbeat and make him DC and DB's coach. Fire Joe Speed and keep Roof on staff as LB coach and Recruiting Coordinator. Obviously Roof would have to take a pay cut but if he loves GT he will. Kelly would be a huge upgrade as a position coach and recruiter over Joe Speed.
Well, ain't gonna happen, but a point that always puzzles me: why would you hire a guy who just got fired someplace else? (And I guess you are assuming Kelly is going to be fired.)

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I agree the defense did not get any better this week. Very disappointing.

I don't know that we can be a good defense this year but I think we can and should improve as the year goes on. The only guy consistently making plays out there yesterday was Gray. Other than that a few cameos by other guys and that's it. Lewis and Mitchell showed some flashes.

Carolina is licking their chops.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree the defense did not get any better this week. Very disappointing.

I don't know that we can be a good defense this year but I think we can and should improve as the year goes on. The only guy consistently making plays out there yesterday was Gray. Other than that a few cameos by other guys and that's it. Lewis and Mitchell showed some flashes.

Carolina is licking their chops.

It will be interesting to see how they attack us. UNC did lose to UGA so anything is possible. Sometimes you gotta pull out a victory from a barn burner. I said in another post but once Dukes QB was in rhythm we never got him out of it. If anything the ACC has taught me this year, every game will be competitive. I imagine we are going to try and slow down the pace against UNC. That was what we did last year until Williams completely took the game over.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see how they attack us. UNC did lose to UGA so anything is possible. Sometimes you gotta pull out a victory from a barn burner. I said in another post but once Dukes QB was in rhythm we never got him out of it. If anything the ACC has taught me this year, every game will be competitive. I imagine we are going to try and slow down the pace against UNC. That was what we did last year until Williams completely took the game over.

Nice post ja.

I am worried we won't be able to slow down the pace without getting the Bback going. We need to be able to get those 1-2 sure yards to move the sticks and eat clock consistently. UNC's defense isn't the greatest. They have, however, had an extra week to prepare. Will be pumped up by home crowd in short yardage.

If we can come out and establish the B back and show the toughness to get those 1-2 key yards then I think you're right....it's game on and probably a shoot out.

At least Carolina is explosive so we'll probably get the ball back quickly.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice post ja.

I am worried we won't be able to slow down the pace without getting the Bback going. We need to be able to get those 1-2 sure yards to move the sticks and eat clock consistently. UNC's defense isn't the greatest. They have, however, had an extra week to prepare. Will be pumped up by home crowd in short yardage.

If we can come out and establish the B back and show the toughness to get those 1-2 key yards then I think you're right....it's game on and probably a shoot out.

At least Carolina is explosive so we'll probably get the ball back quickly.

We will definitely need mills back. Worries me a little of playing 2 two freshman on the OL. Just hope they don't make mistakes. We are UNCs homecoming so I imagine we will get their best effort.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if anyone "in the know" thinks CPJ was put under a little pressure to hire CTR specifically? "He is one of us" , coached on AU's NC team, etc.

Our problems, to me, are much deeper than CTR. We get the same smart azz responses from CPJ year after year about everything. HE is responsible for who we recruit and hire as assistant coaches.

Do not understand what is so hard to understand about this.

I sincerely doubt anyone would take a demotion and a pay cut unless they really had NO other options. My only fear with actually firing Roof is we seem to have some decent talent on the way in with next year's recruiting class (3 4 star defensive plays committed, iirc). On the other hand, I am sick and tired of watching his defense fail.

How long do our defensive coaches keep trying the same things over and over before they give up and try something different? We just played an offense that was #98 in the nation going into yesterday's game. This wasn't Vince Lombardi's Packers offense, folks. They were well above their season average in both rushing yards per play and passing yards per play against us. My issues with our defense are :
  1. we almost never disguise our defenses. We are seldom jumping around and moving players pre-snap. We have started to do a little bit of that with 1-2 players, but we need to do MUCH more of that. Have 4-5 guys jumping around pre-snap and changing positions and faking blitzes etc. We are simply far too easy to beat when we are easy to read;
  2. we MUST selectively be more aggressive. I don't think you can blitz on every play, and I see why Roof is afraid to blitz. I watched calmly on a 3rd down from our 20 or so when we blitzed, they picked it up (see #1) and their QB picked out their WR 10 yards downfield. Our DB in one-on-one coverage was a step slow, missed the pass, and their WR turned upfield and stroll into the end zone for a TD. Yeah, I see that problem. But we again are just way to easy to beat when we play vanilla. We HAVE to be more aggressive. We will get burned on a few of those blitzes, but we will also get some stops. Maybe even force a punt or two!
  3. we finally got to see Lewis at LB. For the life of me, I fail to see why we aren't playing Adams more on the DL. Yes, I know he likely isn't in condition to play multiple plays in a row. Yes, he has little or no pass rush. Yes, he isn't as quick side to side as our other D linemen. BUT, he is a rock in the middle of the line. He stops QB sneaks at the goal line in their tracks for no gain while the rest of our D line is getting pushed off the LOS by 2 yards (at least). Playing him more would have stopped their rushing attack MUCH more effectively, and maybe even would allow our LB's to me more relaxed about the run and more focused dont he pass;
  4. our defensive concept seems to be to use our D linemen to occupy the blockers and allow our LBs to run to the play and make stops. This can work just fine if you have LBs who are really fast and good. The reason the TE is always open is that our LBs are so focused on stopping the run (because that is their assignment) and as such they take one step into the line every play and thus the TE is a step past them by the time they react. The scheme needs to change. Give Adams a chance as a run stopper and focus the LBs more on pass defense.
  5. in 2014, Roof went to (was ordered to go to?) a very aggressive defensive style and it worked out with more turnovers. I don't think that defense had significantly better players. I think the scheme was better. That Roof will not imply that again is, imho, the biggest indictment of him as a D Coordinator. Let's see...what you're doing now isn't working...what you didi back in 2014 worked nicely.....so let's keep doing what we're doing now. Really? REALLY?
Put ur resume in for the job. Is our offense the same as 14? Are we having the same success on offense as we did in 14?

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
We've had three DCs under PJ with distressingly similar results. Why do you think a fourth would any different?

Something else must change.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's simple, really. The strength of our team is the offense. We want our O on the field as much as possible. The best D to go with our O is one that gets off the field. This is the worst aspect of our D under Roof. We need an aggressive D that takes chances (see 2nd half of 2014). If we give up a big play it is much better a quick score to get our O back on the field than these long drives that limit our possessions. Best case we create more turnovers and get a few more 3rd down stops to also get the O back on the field.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
One of our main problems on defense is it seems our DL is just so undersized. Gamble/Kallon are built more like DEs and our DEs are built more like LBs. We very rarely collapse the pocket. I would like to see our DL look like this: Gamble/Adams/C-H/Kallon just to see if we can blow up the OL.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, we are now officially #128 of 128 in 3rd down defense for the season. In one game, we've fallen from #28 to #40 in total D (yds/game) and are #73 in ypp D.

I'll be updating ppd vs pwr5 stats in the next couple days, but it'll be the same story.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, we are now officially #128 of 128 in 3rd down defense for the season. In one game, we've fallen from #28 to #40 in total D (yds/game) and are #73 in ypp D.

I'll be updating ppd vs pwr5 stats in the next couple days, but it'll be the same story.
Wow! Does that include teams like Kansas, tulane, etc. where is the list. Are we LAST? That can't be true.

I hate to see how we look against power 5?

Now we face 2 good offenses on the road.

The d huddle energy in first half was very good. The really enjoyed the cheers when they came back to sideline after causing punts. Seemed to have some swag.

By way there was another coach helping pelton in the sideline defensive huddle. Guy had a fancy hair bob and was pretty animated - wonder who he is?

They are trying new ideas and dialing up more aggressive d so I am good till end of year.